You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.40 replies, Off-Topic
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » New players asking a lot of questions lately
Bottom
Topic Subject:New players asking a lot of questions lately
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-08-08 04:32 PM EDT (US)         
I figured the name would make some of you mouthy ones come in to start something lol.

I just got TAD and started playing again, and just in a week it seems, we've had 10 different new players posting asking questions. Its interesting. I dont remember very well but used to, we didnt get as many new guys stopping in here to ask about online play. Maybe a few every few months. Im wondering if TAD had any affect on non-age- players taking an interest, or its just they are just getting around to ESO.

Anyways welcome to the game, newbs, and have fun

P.S. for you posters who stay on here all day, you know who you are, has there been less griping about peoples' fav civs being too UP or whatever since we have 14 civs now? I was fine all along with the 8 civs, then 11, but having 14 civs is even a better variety. Either way, having a new expansion upon returning has made my month.
AuthorReplies:
Sir Snoopy
Skirmisher
posted 02-08-08 04:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 40       
*mouths*

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-08-08 04:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 40       
sarcastic smart-alecks :P
Medio
Skirmisher
(id: Mediolanus)
posted 02-08-08 05:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 40       
Thrust me, newbs asking things has been part of this forum forever.

This forum has changed a lot over the past 3 years though. There used to be huge discussion about balance, with quote wars lasting for dozens of pages *cough* Ender_Ward *cough*. When I browse these forums now I don't really see any interesting balance topics.

But maybe that's just me. I haven't played this game since 2007, partly because my cd is busted and I need to get one from a friend. On the other hand, I can't really be bothered to ask him, because I'm too busy playing Team Fortress 2 and World in Conflict. Age of Empires 3 is a fun game, it has always been, but after 2 and a half years online things get a little repetitive. The new civs from TAD didn't really change that.

But still, as I type this I have an urge to play Age of Empires 3 (albeit not a very strong one). I can't attend a history lesson without thinking of Age of Empires, and how much fun it would be to play one more game. I think I'm going to ask my friend some day soon, if I can stop playing Team Fortress 2.
crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-08-08 05:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 40       
Hey Mediolanus, I dont post enough for you to know me, but I remember you well if you used that same name last year.

As for getting bored, I dont play enough in a week for that , I love aoe3, but i also miss aoe2 very very bad. I'd pay another $50 for a remix of aoe1/2 together.

back on topic
Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 02-08-08 08:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 40       
I remember back when I first joined in March of last year (Medio was the first to help me to) but there were definitely a lot better discussions with Ender_Ward, James_Lock, and Beatnik_Joe around. Ever since they left (at least to me) the heaven seems a lot less active and a lot less professional.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
ganggreene51
Skirmisher
posted 02-08-08 10:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 40       
I agree catabre. I joined around the same time. Over the past few months the amount of good discussions has dwindled. However, I almost see no point to balance discussions. They are almost always 95% garbage. People using their biased opinion and anger from a loss to suggest balance changes. Most users are like sheep. Keep following blindly the latest idea. Just look at agesanctuary. Anyone that doesn't agree with the common belief gets called a noob and gets flamed. Most of the times with no argument, no counterpoint. Only judged by their rank. This has happened too much here as well which doesn't promote good discussion. India has been considered majorly UP from the start. Now the argument is swaying to "they are fine, I hope they don't get over boosted, you just have to know how to play them". A month ago an indian boost was the second most popular change to nerf china. Everyone argued for a Sioux boost. That didn't work and wasn't needed. With ES philosophy of big patches we as the players are doomed to deal with imbalance. They should have stuck with their small patch idea. At least that offers hope and the ability to quickly adapt.

I guess what I am trying to say is the community is in a way being forced into apathy by itself and ES. Which leads us to fewer good discussions, a less active community, and eventually loss of interest entirely.

I just try to enjoy the game , not get too mad about a loss to china (although it does piss me off when i have way more villagers), and offer as much help that I can to those that I can help.

BTW, the fresh blood is nice even if some of the questions make you reread the question 4 times with a smile.
Beatnik Joe had some funny posts.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way.

Foy Lyndstrom- "Villagers doing nothing don't do anything."
crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-09-08 00:36 AM EDT (US)     7 / 40       
Yep gangreene every one of the guys you mentioned had a lot to say that I thought was interesting. Where'd they go?
Medio
Skirmisher
posted 02-09-08 03:09 AM EDT (US)     8 / 40       
I actually remember you, crazykid. Somehow your name is in my memory linked to Texas. Is that my erratic mind or is there something of thruth in that?

This heaven is getting old. Qaz is the third seraph I've seen for this place. Does anyone still remember the time when Ceres and Mokon were around, when Walker was still Just a Player?

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. Heavens change: old people leave, new people come, forum sections get opened and closed again. This place must have had at least a dozen moderators!

I don't think there's a problem with newbs asking questions. It has always been that way, and part of the things that make this place great: you can ask any question you want, without getting flamed or getting an answer from someone as newb as you. This place has always had a friendly community, that's what I like about it and that's why I keep posting even though I don't have the game anymore.

I would be interested to see where this place will be going in, say, the next 5 years. A lot of heavens get opened and closed; I sure hope the latter won't happen to this beauty.

EDIT: *checks crazykid's profile* Location: Texas. I knew it!

[This message has been edited by Mediolanus (edited 02-09-2008 @ 03:10 AM).]

Gomezd
Skirmisher
posted 02-09-08 03:28 AM EDT (US)     9 / 40       
I agree with mediolanus this place has changed quite a lot.

there used to be some serious discussions going on very frequently thanks to players like mist and ender, it seems that nowdays there isn't as much activity and the new posts seem to be getting repetetive, its being a while since I've seen some really inovative stuff going on.

Regardless the forum is still healthy with players helping out eachother and events like the ffa leauge.
nidhog_slayer
Skirmisher
posted 02-09-08 10:37 AM EDT (US)     10 / 40       
Maybe people are leaving because this game has so much support to community by ES ^^

IMO biggest change was from aom.heaven to aoe3.heaven forums, yes I know that theyre different sites and communitys, but it seemed to have more insightful topics about stuff etc.

Maybe its just the classical good old times point of wiev, or maybe because I was such noob back then, that the topics seemed to have been so great ^^

I actually went to check the forums, and searched for my own posts... Gosh I feel ashamed of them (Mainly all the typos and bad grammar etc. ^^)

[This message has been edited by nidhog_slayer (edited 02-09-2008 @ 10:41 AM).]

crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-09-08 11:32 PM EDT (US)     11 / 40       
Yup, I member Ceres, and Walker as a poster too. Too much crap changes. And it really is hard to think of pros and well known people in aoe3 leaving.

Anybody know whatever happened to "The sherrif" from aoe2? I cant even remember what he did only I seen him a lot
nidhog_slayer
Skirmisher
posted 02-10-08 06:33 AM EDT (US)     12 / 40       
AFAIK sheriff worked for ES for quite long, but then went for some other job.
MusketeerKing
Skirmisher
posted 02-10-08 07:24 AM EDT (US)     13 / 40       
Thrust me
Well seeing as though you asked so politely...

"The better at AoE, the worse at RL" - Doppel
After Smash suggests to make a meatshield to fight off petards..."Where can I find this meatshield? Is it in the TC?" - Sjalle

"That last comment has earned you a ban Musk" - Solus
On realising I was on a 2nd account:"Quinarvy ehhh" - Solus

RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR - VERY GG
Mine and Micky's OPness
Wojek_Siren
Skirmisher
posted 02-10-08 02:32 PM EDT (US)     14 / 40       
I heard people talk about aoe 1, 2, and 3 but what about Age of Empire the King of Age on the DS? I love that game, but I got too good at it and it got bored quickly since I couldn't find somebody to play with( it's require a DS and the game, what the odds to find somebody who have them both).
Walker_5
Skirmisher
posted 02-10-08 04:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 40       
The_Sheriff still works for ES, so does Captn_kid if you remember him.

Walker was still "Just a player" when I started reading and evetually posting on these forums.
Ceres was the Port defender those days, and Mokon was basically the site expert.
As for James_Lock he is still around, just using a new name these days after the incident with some quick judging ESO moderator
I miss Ender_ward as well, his debates were amusing although sometimes a bit too much...

I suppose you don't really miss something before its gone, right

Anyhow, I think its great to see new players here, and that some of the original crew are thinking about a comeback - thats you Mediolanus!

AgeSanctuary Staff member.
Medio
Skirmisher
posted 02-10-08 05:51 PM EDT (US)     16 / 40       
Walker was still "Just a player" when I started reading and evetually posting on these forums.
Ceres was the Port defender those days, and Mokon was basically the site expert.
As for James_Lock he is still around, just using a new name these days after the incident with some quick judging ESO moderator
I miss Ender_ward as well, his debates were amusing although sometimes a bit too much...
Don't forget your number one defender of Germany

I am still surprised Just a Player hasn't posted in here yet.
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 02-10-08 06:43 PM EDT (US)     17 / 40       
I was almost 100 miles away from my computer! Sorry
Does anyone still remember the time when Ceres and Mokon were around, when Walker was still Just a Player?
Woah, great memories! Sometimes I end up reading an old thread for one reason or another, and then surprise myself thinking "hell, my english sucked!" Ah... In the end I've never got that rematch against Mokon. He pwned (I remember people used to say "pwn" a lot more back then) my Ports with his France in 1.01, and when I lost and started making those completely innocent commentaries about balance he said things like "don't blame the civ" and stuff. Ah, the good and old Mokon.

And France was damn OP.

Also, Ceres never came back. Funny, as I think that every oldie had the expectative that he might come back with a patch or a expansion pack. He decided to quit just a few days after I took the "courage" to message him in ESO. Heh, I was such a noob. I google him once and found out he had moved into consoles. That backstabber!

Oh, and new players can ask anything they want. I only wish that more of them used the search function before asking, but you can't expect every new fellow to do that in a Forum. I say that we force everyone to watch [urlhttp://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting]this before creating a new account.

Now I declare that this thread shall be used with the single purpose of remembering the old days.

And ranting about balance.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.

[This message has been edited by Angel Walker (edited 02-10-2008 @ 06:46 PM).]

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 02-10-08 07:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 40       
Good ol' days, i too remember when mighty Angel Walker () was Just a Player, in black color as all of us.
I also remember the endless posts about how Abus bla bla bla and how Silk Road bla bla bla.. I dont really miss Ender Ward, i miss the good threads, the ones that said interesting things about the balance and the game in general.

Now about biased balance:
Totally change Sevastapol, and give Russia good counter for Cavalary in Age II, and a counter for Spain and Dutch FF, and a counter for Sioux. (without Sevas Russia cant beat Spain)
crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-10-08 10:50 PM EDT (US)     19 / 40       
Ceres into consoles? I couldnt do that . It feels too "alone" with a console, there's more players online. Oh, well.

Sup Eicho, good to see you here too, although I cant remember back how far you've been posting, I know I used to read your posts a lot, too

[This message has been edited by crazykid (edited 02-10-2008 @ 10:57 PM).]

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 02-10-08 11:13 PM EDT (US)     20 / 40       
I first posted when TWC came out, askign if anyone knew when TWC will came out in Argentina (it came out June 2007..). Only one person responded, so i didint posted for some months, but i red the forums.
One day i decided i should start posting, and i did

When there were interesting discussions i posted interesting things.. hopefully when AoE4 - Ancient times (i really think thats next ES game) comes out we will have a lot of quality discussion again
Gomezd
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 00:41 AM EDT (US)     21 / 40       
I remember the merc spamming days quite clearly, I used to win games by FF with spain sending two falcs 12 highlanders and -how many- swiss used to come while making skirms.

in a not so fond memory I remember the endless threads trying to find a way to stop 1.06 germany and theirs stupid WW+falcs oddly enough that was the same time that ports were considered any good, when LC used to rule the battlefield. That along with a good maya rush in cover mode, stronger TC's didn't stand a chance.
Swirl
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 04:05 AM EDT (US)     22 / 40       
I remember mokon posted a link to his website...which was basically "yeah I own, got straight A's in high school, aren't i awesome?" No offence to him...he was a good guy on the forums but this just made him seem a bit up himself lol

I also remember watching TheGoodEvil trying to learn how to play dutch at the very start, good times.

If u played Stronghold u might enjoy this http://www.zshare.net/download/sh-mix-mix-rar.html
Gomezd
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 04:15 AM EDT (US)     23 / 40       
DUTCH! how incredibly weak was dutch, I kind of miss that....
Medio
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 10:11 AM EDT (US)     24 / 40       
On a completely unrelated note, we should all head to the Saloon (you know, the AoE3H forum where no one plays AoE3) and post in the Battle of the Forums thread. The thing is, each heaven is allowed to choose a team for a battle between heavens, and they are obviously trying to create a team of Salooners. We should stop them and create a General Discussions team.
Walker_5
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 10:26 AM EDT (US)     25 / 40       
On a completely unrelated note, we should all head to the Saloon (you know, the AoE3H forum where no one plays AoE3) and post in the Battle of the Forums thread. The thing is, each heaven is allowed to choose a team for a battle between heavens, and they are obviously trying to create a team of Salooners. We should stop them and create a General Discussions team.
Trying to get nominated are you?

AgeSanctuary Staff member.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames