You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.40 replies, Off-Topic
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » New players asking a lot of questions lately
Bottom
Topic Subject:New players asking a lot of questions lately
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-08-08 04:32 PM EDT (US)         
I figured the name would make some of you mouthy ones come in to start something lol.

I just got TAD and started playing again, and just in a week it seems, we've had 10 different new players posting asking questions. Its interesting. I dont remember very well but used to, we didnt get as many new guys stopping in here to ask about online play. Maybe a few every few months. Im wondering if TAD had any affect on non-age- players taking an interest, or its just they are just getting around to ESO.

Anyways welcome to the game, newbs, and have fun

P.S. for you posters who stay on here all day, you know who you are, has there been less griping about peoples' fav civs being too UP or whatever since we have 14 civs now? I was fine all along with the 8 civs, then 11, but having 14 civs is even a better variety. Either way, having a new expansion upon returning has made my month.
AuthorReplies:
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 10:27 AM EDT (US)     26 / 40       
If the Battle of Forums thread is not moved to General Discussions, we have no chance to beat the Salooners.
I already sugested a civil war between Saloon vs General Discussions
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 02-11-08 10:29 AM EDT (US)     27 / 40       
I am with Mediolanus.

And don't let them know, but as I am the one responsible for the thread, I might *accidentally* give you GD guys a few more points in the voting round. Now shh!

And now that the Gomezd mentioned it, the Maya rush was the awesome! Every time that the Random Map selection choosed Sonora all players would instantly start looking for the Mayan Settlements. From there on it was all about getting it for yourself and sieging a TC down before 7 minutes or walling it, to delay the other player. They had like 60 siege, and Cover Mode allowed them to take only 50% damage from the TC.

Awesomeness.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.

[This message has been edited by Angel Walker (edited 02-11-2008 @ 10:30 AM).]

crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 10:43 AM EDT (US)     28 / 40       
hahaha ah, the good ol' days of mercenaries. That got old fast, but it was fun to watch the merc recs while I ate my tuna and oatmeal breakfast (i know, healthy peope are freaks ).
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 11:10 AM EDT (US)     29 / 40       
Walker, isn't there a way we can move the thread to GD? or at least "copy" it, so we have the same thread in both Saloon and GD.
There is no way we will beat the spammers in their own territory.

MedioLanus, i vote you and you vote me, ok?
JimXIX
Kings Guard
posted 02-11-08 12:35 PM EDT (US)     30 / 40       
This heaven is getting old. Qaz is the third seraph I've seen for this place. Does anyone still remember the time when Ceres and Mokon were around, when Walker was still Just a Player?
Good times. It's cool to see people remember James Lock too :P

Just a Player was a cool name. =/

I miss Ender_Ward too even though he had a bad reputation and got unfairly banned. He was still a good example of a well conducted individual that you don't see at other fan sites.

You'll remember that four (!) hour game against that crazy Russian that wouldn't give up, not realizing he was playing someone who in real life actually is a crazy Russian, that won't give up either. - Ender_Ward
puddleglum
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 01:04 PM EDT (US)     31 / 40       
As a new player, (I just picked up AOE3 gold recently), I've appreciated the responses I've received to my questions. At the same time, I've noticed that a lot of the civilization-specific strategies and related discussion seem dated. But then again I haven't installed TWC or TAD, so I guess I am looking for old information either way. I suppose the majority of players are using TWC + TAD, and that is where the majority of strategy discussion would be. . .
crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 01:55 PM EDT (US)     32 / 40       
hey puddlegum, welcome to aoe3. You really need to get one or even both of the expansions. I think if you bought TWC and TAD seperate, they'd be $30 a piece. But no one plays aoe3 original anymore.
Medio
Skirmisher
(id: Mediolanus)
posted 02-11-08 02:45 PM EDT (US)     33 / 40       
Trying to get nominated are you?
Actually, I'm trying to get in the ROLH team. Not a hard thing to do since there are only 3 active normal forummers (and 2 mods) and one of them steps back in the event, but I'll still keep my options open. So you can vote for me any day of the week.
Walker_5
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 03:08 PM EDT (US)     34 / 40       
Hey I just realized that STONEWALL is GONE!

I thought he was just a bit occupied with RL, but he is BANNED?!
On his own wish, granted, but WTH is happening to the world, buuuhuuu

AgeSanctuary Staff member.
Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 02-11-08 04:11 PM EDT (US)     35 / 40       
BTW, the fresh blood is nice even if some of the questions make you reread the question 4 times with a smile.
Agreed.

@Medio you said it spot on. I loved it here last year.

Whatis Locks new name? And actually he did post here in the downloads secion a week or 2 ago while posting one of the recs for the ffa tourney.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
Medio
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 04:15 PM EDT (US)     36 / 40       
Considering the chance ES might read this (only marginally larger than zero, but greater than zero nonetheless) I won't tell it. Maybe he'll do it yourself. I can e-mail it if you want to.
Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 02-11-08 04:21 PM EDT (US)     37 / 40       
Ok, email me.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
Medio
Skirmisher
posted 02-12-08 05:28 AM EDT (US)     38 / 40       
I did.

By the way, I've just had my first game of Age3 this year. I decided to play it safe and be the civ I'm the most familiar with: Germany. So I stepped into quicksearch.

My opponent was a Jap Major, the battle was on Great Lakes (winter). I couldn't tell his strat from his deck, so I decided to be certain and prepared my xbow spam.

Well, the guy was rushing me. And in the Japanese way: ashigaru. These things are really unstoppable for xbows (unless I'm doing something really wrong here, but I was cranking out xbows non-stop), so yeah, I got pwnd miserably. And the worst thing is, as soon as I gave up, I saw a Cree settlement. That's what I should have done. Or I could have taken the renegado route. I want a rematch!
Tungsten_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 02-12-08 09:10 AM EDT (US)     39 / 40       
Mmmmhmmm...the good ol' days....back when I was near a 2000 ELO rating. Then my computer crashed when TWC came out, I fell behind...and I've never been able to catch up. Add in that I got into Dawn of War and Call of Duty 4 (not to mention Pirates, Vikings, and Knights 2 mod for Half-Life 2)...and well...I just haven't played too much.

And what ever happened to all the strategist? The strategy section for TAD is nothing but five Japanese Strategies that are near identical (no offesne to the designers of them).
ganggreene51
Skirmisher
posted 02-12-08 10:19 AM EDT (US)     40 / 40       
And what ever happened to all the strategist? The strategy section for TAD is nothing but five Japanese Strategies that are near identical (no offesne to the designers of them).

This is probably the most overlooked aspect. This is what brings most people to the site at first. However, there really isn't much new with the old civs to formulate new strategies. The old strats are still relevant. With the new civs I'm not sure what is going on. They are maybe too similar to the old euro civs. At least with TWC there were firepits, big buttons and new unit types that lead to new styles. TAD is nice but not much different than vanilla with what it offered.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way.

Foy Lyndstrom- "Villagers doing nothing don't do anything."
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames