You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » some questions about online play
Bottom
Topic Subject:some questions about online play
puddleglum
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 12:42 PM EDT (US)         
I'm having a few issues with online play. Any advice on these items would be appreciated.

1. I always set the game to record, and it never records. Skirmishes against the computer record fine.

2. It usually takes at least 5 minutes to get someone in quick match. This is when there are ~4000 listed as being online.

3. Does the number listed online mean total for all flavors of AOE3, or will it only list the number of people who are using the same expansion(s). Right now I'm using just AOE3.

4. Is there any way to get it to ring or make some kind of sound when it finds a match for quick match? If it's going to take 5 or 10 minutes, I'd rather do something afk during that time and come back when the match is found, than just stare at the screen.

5. What are the best times for playing online? I live in the US on the east coast.

6. This has nothing to do with online play, but is this the largest AOE3 forum around?
AuthorReplies:
CunniJA
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 01:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
1. Are you saying you hit record in a quicksearch? If so, it's not a certain that you will actually get it recorded. If you're hitting record in game browser games and it's not recording, then that's a problem.

2. What rank are you? The lower the rank, the more time it takes basically. At my level, it usually takes no longer than a minute, usually it is almost instant. Edit: Nevermind, that's on TAD, on vanilla it takes longer.

3. That is the list for all expanisons.

4. Not that I know of. Which is weird, because AOM makes that one noise, maybe there is a setting for it somewhere that I'm just not sure of.

5. Pretty much anytime during 6 am- 2 am would be good for you, because there is a pretty large European community (which happens to be better than the Americans as a whole in my experience.) It's only during the wee hours of the night that you will have trouble, but the Asian community (seemingly the best players in my experience) are on in the wee hours of the night. Someone here noted that from about 3-6 pm, you'll find more of the kiddies that just got home from school on, then later in the evening, player quality will improve. Thus, if you're interested in treaty, 3-6 is a good time, and if you play the real game, 7 pm on is better.

6. No.

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
"Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."
puddleglum
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 01:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Thanks for the response!

1. I am referring to quicksearch. It never records. Why is it "not certian" that it will record? Does the other player have to set it to record as well?

2. I am a "Major" (29) according to ESO, ~18k according to ELO. Unfortunately I almost always get matched with 15-16k, or 20-21k. So either I win fairly easily, or I get blown out of the house.

3. Okay, so using TWC+TAD will probably get me games faster.

4. Bummer.

5. I assume you meant something other than 6am-2am, as that is 20 hours of the day. Did you mean 6pm-2am? 6am-2pm?

6. Can I ask what is? Because agecommunity.com seems to be overrun with people making posts like "Wut is a gud strat for me 2 win with? I suck LOL!!!"

EDIT: I originally said "15-17k" but meant "15-16k"

[This message has been edited by puddleglum (edited 02-11-2008 @ 06:17 PM).]

crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 02:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
To answer your question about quicksearching, if you only have vanilla, then its probably gonna take days to find a game, because hardly anyone plays it anymore
Cheesewiz
HG Alumnus
posted 02-11-08 02:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
6. Can I ask what is? Because agecommunity.com seems to be overrun with people making posts like "Wut is a gud strat for me 2 win with? I suck LOL!!!"
Hehe. Based on hits and google ranks, the top three are us, AgeSanctuary, and Age Community. But...Age Community is pretty awful at times. Sanct is respectable, though.

But, the best evidence I can give for us is that if you go to google, and type in Age of Empires III, we are the 3rd hit, the main AoE3 Homepage is first, and Wikipedia ir 2nd. I'd say that's pretty good for a few guys working less than parttime

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
CunniJA
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 02:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
No, I meant 6 a.m.- 2 a.m. You can pretty much find games fairly quickly all day long, it just depends on what you're looking for. At Major on vanilla, you might be at the point where you're high enough that it actually takes longer. At Lt. Colonel on vanilla, it takes me a long time for quicksearch. And as far as the TAD+TWC thing goes, you should certainly get them, not only for ease of getting games, but for the quality as well. For example, I got to Lt. Colonel on vanilla, but I'm only Captain on TAD, the players are much better. I'd say there's at least a -5 PR difference between what a player's current vanilla rank could be and what their TAD rank could be.

P.S.: Add me on ESO if you want to play sometime Puddle. CunniJA and Kafei.

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
"Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."

[This message has been edited by CunniJA (edited 02-11-2008 @ 02:28 PM).]

xentelian
Skirmisher
posted 02-11-08 03:51 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
#1 there is about a 50/50 chance it will record game as only blue player's point of view will it record via quicksearch if it does at all (AOM it always recorded)

#2/3 online # is all flavors of age3 so it means fewer players per the three, then broken down even more by skill, then broken down even more by home city level. I find it can take a while for me sometimes and I am completely average skill (2nd leuit), select any city level, and play asian dynasties.
Today, supremacy as follows...(gmt-7)
20:01 to 20:58 - 500 games played using age3
13:52 to 20:54 - 500 games played using warchiefs
20:01 to 20:57 - 500 games played using asian dynasties
Warchiefs amount of games played seems terrible, but maybe there was a problem with ES stats on agecommunity or warchiefs server (assuming separate from the others).
(AOM there was no home city level variant additionally)

#4, This one ticks me off the most. I have even tried modifying the .xml file to add a sound gadget but it just will not recognize it.

Major PITA when you are falling asleep at your computer waiting for a quicksearch match only to realize it already started and not even knowing what map you are on or your opponent's skill. (AOM had this simple feature)

A small leap backwards from predecessor, but oh well.
There are at least some interesting new features in the game.

[This message has been edited by xentelian (edited 02-11-2008 @ 04:08 PM).]

puddleglum
Skirmisher
posted 02-12-08 09:38 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
Thanks for all the replies. So is the only-the-blue-team-gets recorded thing acknowledged by ES as a bug? Does it work better in TWC and TAD?

Anyways, I already have TWC (I bought the AOE3 Gold package), it's just not installed. I'll go out and pick up TAD sometime soon and get them both installed. I get the impression I shouldn't install TWC without TAD unless I want even fewer games. I think I might be a bit overwhelmed by the number of additional maps and civs, as I'm still working on getting all of vanilla down! But what the heck.
crazykid
Skirmisher
posted 02-12-08 10:41 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
Yeah, install TWC, thats good. You might find a lot more players on TWC than the original hehe.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames