You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Does anyone play ottos anymore?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Does anyone play ottos anymore?
adamh43524
Skirmisher
posted 05-02-08 04:26 AM EDT (US)         
hi i just wanted to ask this qusetion because i used to be an otto player myself and quite frankly got bored, this was because people got very good at defeating ur rush then outbooming you and there is pritty much sweet fa you can do about it, especially in 2player were your rush is pritty much absorbed anyway. There also is the fact that tad weakens the otto silk road rush so im leaft wondering, if ur rush is no longer effective and theres no way ur eco can keep up to the other civs does anyone bother?

I grant the rush does still pwn absolute noobs who dont have a clue what they are doing but lets face it noob bashing is boring!!!
AuthorReplies:
StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 05-02-08 12:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
I was never an otto fan from the start. I remember using them in Vanilla a few times rushing. It was powerful and very effective. Now it's practically lost it's touch. Not only is it weaker but it's very predictable and easy to beat. Ottos have nice fortress units suchas spahi's but I find them lacking in the end for some reason. Either way, ottos have been nerfed to where the´r "rush" is now crap.
adamh43524
Skirmisher
posted 05-03-08 08:43 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
yh i agree!!
but what i was wondering is that does anyone decent s
play them still because of these floors.....
StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 05-03-08 12:39 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
I'm sure there is some sort of expert player out there who's trying to find a different way of playing ottos. :P
Like India in 1.00. It was claimed to be UP but, when ppl found out about the sepoy rush they weren't quite UP :P
Flair
Skirmisher
posted 05-03-08 01:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Well I've been using a 2 TP Tufunci FF, shipping 2 Falcs or 8 Abus, then shipping 1000 wood and setting up 3 TCs. The Otto boom may not be fast, but it saves you a lot of resources that you can use to build up your military.
Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 05-04-08 10:05 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
I don't really like to play Ottos. Their infantry is limited to only janissaries, their spahi are hard to get in decent numbers, and their good artillery can easily be outdone by a cav spammer. They just don't suit me.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
mjsnyder
Skirmisher
posted 05-04-08 10:50 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
good artillery can easily be outdone by a cav spammer.
that's why you just accompany jans (in melee) and cav archers to take out the cav spam and let the beast bombards do the rest...

i disagree with some stuff said on here. i think ANY civ can be as good as the others. you just got to learn their strengths (vils are free and good artillery) and exploit the weaknesses of other civs and you should be able to contend with other people and their civs. I don't think a nerfed rush is any reason to quit playing them, or any reason to claim their pitifulnes (because they aren't bad)

"In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity." -Winston Churchill

ESO:mjsnyder
Play:TAD
Civ: Spanish
Spectruz
Skirmisher
posted 05-04-08 11:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Why Ottos rush is so bad now? What they change to make it so bad or too inefficient? I know it is predictable, and for civs like Russia and India, Dutch they can get HnR easy, but I don't see much difference from b4, Can you guys tell whats is wrong now?
Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 05-04-08 12:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
I just didn't like them to begin with. Mjsnyder, you have a good point, and I've tried that on a few occasions, but it never seems to be enough. I could never figure out why.

I do agree, though, that Ottomans can be good when played by the right people. For example, computer Ottos can be a challenge when set to the right difficulty level.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
Flair
Skirmisher
posted 05-04-08 12:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
I do agree, though, that Ottomans can be good when played by the right people. For example, computer Ottos can be a challenge when set to the right difficulty level.
The computer plays at like a 1300 ELO rating.
The Jackal
Skirmisher
posted 05-04-08 01:15 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
I'm actually quite fond of the late game Ottoman army. Their only REAL drawback in lategame is the lack of an infantry training time card. Janissaries are quite tough, and once you send the discount card, quite cheap to boot.

Anyone serious about playing Ottoman would do well to steer clear of great bombard, however. They're tough, sure, but their glacial rate of fire means they compare unfavorably to falconets and horse guns, in terms of damage output.

The Ottoman rush is softer than it was, but it's hardly dead. The fact of ESO play is that most people's ratings are conflated by easy wins against feeble players who can't cope with early troops, so the fastest rushers invariably occupy the limelight. Now that Ottomans are the beasts they were, the obsession with easy wins has moved on to riper fruit, like India.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames