Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Gurkha/Skirms
Bottom
Topic Subject:Gurkha/Skirms
StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 03:01 AM EDT (US)         
Ok this time I'm just sort of wondering why people say gurkha's suck? IMO i think they're good. They may not be better than regular skirms but they do the job. I dunno the 2 stats but if someone does can they show them to me? I really like gurkhas, so why do ppl say they suck? Someone care to explain? I've probably heard they suck about 3 or 4 times. What are your opinions on them? I know for a fact that they don't suck as much as those rajputs.
AuthorReplies:
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 05-05-08 04:11 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
Skirmisher
120 HP, 15 damage, 20 range, 50f 65g

Gurkha
115 hp, 16 damage, 18 range, 70f 50g

Cost more, less hp, less range. This is why they suck compared to a skirmisher.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 04:41 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
they dont suck.

cost wise they are more or less the same as skirms, 15 gold takes longer to gather than 20 food.

cost effectiveness is also about the same as att x hp is about the same.

what makes them stand out is they can be used along with a muskt unit, thus saving them from get flanked by cavalry, most indian players use them the same way people used to use jan + abus, that is mix them to gather, this way this army beats muskts orientated army, LI + pike army, and LI + melee cav army.

their range is slightly shorter than skirms, but hardly noticeable, and in fortress they get 1 more range, and another increment in industrial.
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 05:22 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Most often you'll see ghurkas in colonial, but not skirms. You see gurkhas in colonial doing worse than fortress skirms because the skirms are obviously upgraded most of the time you see them.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 07:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Ghurkas arent that bad, they used to be bad. In industrial age they used not to be able to get counter infantry rifling, this combined with a disturbing lack of upgrade cards made sure there was no way ghurkas countered HI lategame.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

The Jackal
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 11:20 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Schildpad is correct. It's not their base stats, it's their rather feeble selection of upgrades. Even now, a Gurkha has access to the following upgrades:

Green Jackets has gone some way to fix that issue, but they still are pretty light in available upgrades compared to French or Dutch skirmishers.
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 12:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
German skirms have only 1 age 4 upgrade card and extra 10% from the royal guard upgrade, Sioux have no upgrades for wakinas, and Spain have no skirm upgrades either. I'm sure there are more but that is not the reason they seem to suck. Pre-CIR card, then yes, that was the main reason. Right now, well who needs ghurkas when you have Urumi FI?

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 06:46 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Sioux have a few wakina upgrades. One from plantation, one in industrial. Not sure bout imp. One from the merc card shipments also. more hp i think. A few but they're not meant to be a big role for sioux. Mainly if the enemy makes musks or halbs.
FlaG8r
Skirmisher
posted 05-05-08 07:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
Sioux have the 1000g fortress card, Two Kettle Support, that gives a bunch of Wakina and raises their hitpoints.
The Jackal
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 04:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
German skirms have only 1 age 4 upgrade card and extra 10% from the royal guard upgrade, Sioux have no upgrades for wakinas, and Spain have no skirm upgrades either. I'm sure there are more but that is not the reason they seem to suck. Pre-CIR card, then yes, that was the main reason. Right now, well who needs ghurkas when you have Urumi FI?
And 15% attack and 10% hit points from advanced arsenal AND Tilly's Discipline, which makes them the hardest hit and run trooper around.
jayce
Skirmisher
posted 05-06-08 11:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
Ghurkas don't suck.
StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-08 01:16 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
Gurkhas look kooler. Infact, India has the best looking units imo. Elephants, Camels, Sepoy sabers :O!!!!!!
The Jackal
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-08 02:29 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
You're not wrong. India has some great looking units. I just wish they had given Sowars swords instead of spears, they'd look much cooler.
Colonel_UGMO
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 05-08-08 05:42 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
Keep in mind skirms are veteran while ghurks are not.

ESO NAME: UGMO
I AM USING: TAD
I AM PLAYING: The Aztecs, British and Russians
.oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-08-08 06:50 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
I wish that was true, skirmishers are colonial.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Colonel_UGMO
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 05-08-08 06:58 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
Ok scratch that

Ghurkas have disciplined, honored and exalted upgrade while skirms only have Guard and Imperial.

ESO NAME: UGMO
I AM USING: TAD
I AM PLAYING: The Aztecs, British and Russians
.oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 05-08-08 08:55 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
Skirmishers have veteran upgrade too, it's auto upgraded for them. (Dutch have them in Colonial, remember?)

I'm going to have to retract my previous statement about Gurkha's sucking... Played a game where all my opponent did was spam Gurkhas and Sowars/Zamburaks. The Gurkhas were on par with my Royal Guard skirmishers damage but slightly less HP, but backed with those retarded strong camels, they're beasts. I heavily out eco'd the guy on food and coin but theres nothing that can cost effectively counter gurkha/camel spam.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames