You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Master Sarg to 2nd Lt
Bottom
Topic Subject:Master Sarg to 2nd Lt
mbrown2626
Skirmisher
posted 11-10-08 10:32 AM EDT (US)         
I recently just made it to 2nd lt and boy was it a wake up call. Is it just me or is the jump from Master Sarg to 2nd Lt a big one as far as skill sets for players is concerned? It seems to me that once you hit 2nd lt the level of play is 10 fold of that at MS. I guess this is where the boys and men get separated. Courious as to what everyones thoughts are on this.
AuthorReplies:
Droideka_11
Skirmisher
posted 11-10-08 11:06 AM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
Yeah there is great gap between 2nd Leutenant and MS. At MS you're still playing along the lines of Sergent and MS. At 2nd Leutenant you start playing 1st Leutenants and Captains which are much harder oponents.

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret

[This message has been edited by Droideka_11 (edited 11-10-2008 @ 11:07 AM).]

Cheesewiz
HG Alumnus
posted 11-10-08 12:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
I agree, even back in Vanilla, I made it to 2nd lt without losing a game, then proceeded to get whipped about 5 straight times by 1st lt's...

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 11-10-08 02:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
I think both ranks suck

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 11-10-08 02:20 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
Well rich if i remember correctly you aren't that far away from those ranks!
macndouche
Banned
posted 11-10-08 03:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
well yes there is a pretty big difference and cheese mentioned you have to play captain which are strong opponents, captain plus is really when you are good and know almost everyhting there i to know for most stuff.
socrstar
Skirmisher
posted 11-10-08 03:58 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
Yes I agree as well. I really don't take people seriously until they are a master, but if you can get to 2nd lt and stay, you got my respect

I have also noticed how when you are a 2nd lt, you will get much higher level people to join, such as anywhere from 20-30 in rank. However, when I was a master, I often found anyone from 0-19 joining.

so yeah. Kinda like becoming an adult I guess. :P

ESO: socrstar
Comprehensive Turtling Guide
Semi NVR for 'Nilla
Rise of Amsterdam v2: A guide to the Dutch
"Wanna see my victory dance?" "Sure." "Hold on I need to get naked first." "Whoaa"
Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 11-10-08 08:19 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
I agree. Right now, I'm at the tipping point between 2nd LT and MS. I join some games hosted by lts, and they usually kick me More experience next time I win and actually become a 2nd lt
Marneus Calgar
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 11-10-08 09:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
Arcane they kick you because you've only have like 10 games, and a high win percentage, so they don't know if you are a smurf or not.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 11-10-08 10:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
That's true... Hey, can I help it if I keep killing noobs because I have to to gain levels?
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 11-11-08 00:49 AM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
Same here. I'm at the MS/Lieut level, but, I'd be like a 1st Lieut, but, I really don't have the time to play.

I'm like someone with the knowledge, but no the time to do it.
qaghan
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-08 05:00 AM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
Helpful post there Richjp!?

I personally think 2nd Lt and MS is a big step since 2nd Lt usually has more of an idea how the general gameplay is.
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 11-12-08 11:04 AM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
I have the same problem. For a brief time I was 2nd Lt in vanilla, then dropped back down to MS and then to sgt. I've never been able to stay for more than one game.

Basically, MS and Lt are divided by multitasking ability and critical decision making skills. You may know your civ really well, have excellent micro in battle, etc. but if you can't juggle all the major aspects of a game and process and respond to situations quickly, you won't get very far in RTS. Using hotkeys and time-saving measures helps, too. But if you don't use the time you've saved wisely, it's like you never had it at all. That's where a lot of sgts (including me) run into trouble. I know how to herd, use waypoints, hotkeys for buildings and units, counter system, eco upgrades etc. but I suck at multitasking (as napoleon says) and tend to get fatigued after about 10-15 minutes of microing.

It's so bad it's influenced what civs I play so I can rush and be done with it, rather than have to remember to build houses, manage eco, etc. If my rush fails, my civ is usually in such disarray it is impossible to recover.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-08 06:11 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
Well, I'll be experiencing it soon. I'm not sure what to think, but at least I held my own (even though I played badly, and Adam player badly) against Adam, whose a 2nd lt in TAD. Not criticizing you Adam, just saying, I'm not confident that I can constantly beat lieutenants, or stay at that level, just that I'm sure that I can hold my own against them. :/
Pimpman3001
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-08 06:45 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
yea well im a serg and its kindof weird cuz ill play and beat a 1st leui and then play some 2nd leuis and lose to them. I really im hoping im getting close 2 ms =)

Heros
Cookie
James
Kiv
I'm Back...3peat
Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-08 09:01 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
Some lieutenants noob bash, so that's probably why. There's also drop trickers, and guys who got a lucky win, or point traded. You meet bad lieutenants every once in a while.
Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 11-13-08 11:23 AM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
I agree, once I hit 1st loot, it was like a light went off in my head. You are a lot better at microing and really understand the system.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
Lord_Sami
Skirmisher
posted 11-13-08 11:52 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
From my experience, people are afraid of the "name" of the rank. A liutenant sounds much more skilled than some sergeant. But as the rank goes up, it's more and more about the micro (like you people already said)

Same goes when u reach captain rank. They're overrated when compared to 1st liutenants. Also when i got to liutenant colonel. One of the biggest issues in AoE is that the people are afraid to play due to the ranks. People are afraid of the names.

'09 Match Of Death Winner

My elorating

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. -Napoleon

[This message has been edited by Lord_Sami (edited 11-13-2008 @ 11:54 AM).]

mbrown2626
Skirmisher
posted 11-13-08 03:46 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
I agree with you Lord. The name really scares people.

I thinks it's reasonable that if you are hosting a game you should expect people one rank above and below you to join your games. I can't tell you how many times I've been booted when I join a game when I'm only one rank higher then the host. It makes it really hard to get a game sometimes...........
qaghan
Skirmisher
posted 11-14-08 02:23 AM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
I disagree its mostly micro that seperates ranks. Thats always something lower rated people argue because they think they understand the game. In reality theres many levels of understanding the game and in this very slow game understanding the game is more important than micro.
Myll_Erik
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11-14-08 06:48 AM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
I agree with what most people are saying, but at the same time I think the bigger skill gap is capt and major - In my opinion, and from what I've noticed, most of the more "hardcore players" seem to be at least a major, while more of the relaxed/have fun type seem to be around the 1lt/capt level.

Granted, it all depends on ones skills, experience, and freinds - but thats just one of my observations.

Veni, Vidi, Vici
Trample the Weak - Hurdle the Dead!
"It's kind of a...persnickety magic." Atzy
End of Nations!
End of Nations Community Manager
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames