You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Bruce's last blog - Goodbye and Thanks
Bottom
Topic Subject:Bruce's last blog - Goodbye and Thanks
gunner1
Scenario Expert
posted 01-29-09 05:13 PM EDT (US)         
Bruce's Last Blog
Bruce's last blog is up for everyone to read. I encourage everyone to check it out right away. AgeCommunity.com will continue to be up and running to help our fans and give them a place to hang out.

All of us here at Ensemble Studios wish to thank you, for all of the good years we have had together. We have enjoyed making games for you and playing them with you.

Good luck and have fun has always been the four small word that we say before a game starts. We want to wish all of you good luck and have fun one last time.

1/29/09
Closing Down: It is hard to believe that the day has finally come when Ensemble Studios closes its doors and we move on to whatever is next. I was employee #4, starting in February of 1995, and will always be grateful to Tony and Rick Goodman for remembering me and getting me involved in what will probably be the defining experience of my career. There was a genuine caring at ES for colleagues, and the games we made, which was special. The mission of our studio was to create a great place to work and make great games, stressed by Tony in that order. I believe we stayed on mission throughout and often it was a lot of fun. It is worth mentioning that about 60% of the people who worked on Age of Empires I were with the studio to the end. And it was a really special group of people who pulled together for the long hours and hard work to finish our last game to our standards.

We are working our way through the final week with mixed emotions. We have a lot to be proud of and new opportunities are beckoning, but it is also sad to see this particular great adventure coming to an end. Boxes are piled in the hallways for trash; people are giving away games and other stuff they don’t want anymore; computers are being wiped; and our corporate IDs are being turned in. Although we will be keeping in touch through some alumni initiatives, many of us may not cross paths again.

There are at least two new studios being formed by ES employees and I expect both to do very well. There were a lot of outstanding game developers here and it will be interesting to see how and what they do, both individually and as new groups, in the years ahead.

Goodbye and Thanks: My expectation is that this is the final ES blog that I will write. I have enjoyed pulling it together for the past several years and sharing with you what I could about the inside workings of a game studio. It was a pleasure and a privilege to showcase the work and fun side of our group.

I do not know at this point if the newly forming game studios will be doing similar blogs or even how you could find out.

On behalf of everyone at ES, past and present, thanks for your support over the years. Your feedback on our games made the next version better. Buying legitimate copies made it possible for us to keep making them. Thanks also to those who wrote us to express regrets about the end of our studio and even the end of this blog.
I would just like to say thanks to Ensemble studios for entertaining me for countless hours and devoting much of thier time to creating my favourite game series; age of empires, even if at times I didn't appreciate it. The studio will be sorely missed and I wish every member good luck and may many great games come from them in the future.

[This message has been edited by gunner1 (edited 01-29-2009 @ 05:15 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-09 06:10 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28       
Thanks eso for all the great times and help, you guys made a heck of a game.
FenrisWulf
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-09 07:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 28       
Man, thats really sad.

I love Marneus Calgar more than anyone else at Heavengames!
Accomplishments:
The Run Back Home (for AoM)(4.2),Arrow Key Movement (for AoM), WorldMap v2 (3.1)(for AoE3) Fight for Life RPG (For AoE3)
Work In Progress:
Click Upon an Old Man (30% complete)
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-29-09 07:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 28       
ya eso has entertained me for many hours as well
Marcus Varro
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-09 08:23 PM EDT (US)     4 / 28       
I can't believe Microsoft is pulling the plug... And just after they hit the 20 million games sold mark too! I say we all boycott Microsoft products from now on and all move to Apples!

No, I'm just kidding but I bet some gamers may do just that.

"Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another.”

Immanual Kant
Lord Berminator
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-09 08:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 28       
Oh my God, lol. ES THANK YOU SO MUCH, EVEN WITH ALL THE PATCH DELAYS AND WHATNOT YOU WERE STILL A GREAT COMPANY!!!!
Taunt 31

Sooner or later, I think ESO will be taken care of some how. Be optimistic, people!

Scenarios: Worldmap Series I: North America, Worldmap Series II: Caribbean, The Wasteland

Editor of: Orissa, Kill the Sun, Bathe in Hate

Current Projects: Fog of War, Island Hopping
Marcus Varro
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-09 08:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 28       
Well... I guess they are having to leave game patching to the fans. Let us hope that we can keep having Fan Patches for a long time until we have a perfectly balanced game. And after that we have mods to keep us occupied. Come on people, DO NOT let Age of Empires die with the company that made it. We have the power to keep it going, let us use that power!

By the By, Age Sanctuary is getting all the fame, AoE Heaven needs to make a fan-patch too. I have a feeling that competition between fan-sites will keep the game around longer. Of course, all the patches will need to be compatible with each other and all that.

"Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another.”

Immanual Kant

[This message has been edited by Marcus Varro (edited 01-29-2009 @ 08:37 PM).]

Teutonic Twit
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-29-09 08:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 28       
Long live Ensemble Studios!!!

Good luck, good life and here's hoping I pass paths with you guys again.
Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-09 09:20 PM EDT (US)     8 / 28       
Great job guys. It's a shame that you can't keep up the great work.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-29-09 09:20 PM EDT (US)     9 / 28       
are any people gonna be switching off this game?
i know i will still be playing it..

but im probably gonna try to get really into that total war game.
anybody else going for it?

iTech64
My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
My Mapguides: Northwest Territories
Marcus Varro
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-09 09:25 PM EDT (US)     10 / 28       
I would, but my computer probally won't run it (another reason to replace with an Apple). I play Company of Heroes though. I'd say that that is better than any Total War game, although still not as good as AoE.

Immanual Kant
Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-09 09:29 PM EDT (US)     11 / 28       
Really sucks, final goobye

After this, I'll probably be moving on soon What, with new games like SC2, Halo Wars, and good old games like CoH, Total War, I'm probably not going to be looking at the AOE disk for a while. Plus, I just bought live, so it's time to kick some zombie arse on L4D with my friends!

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 01-29-2009 @ 09:29 PM).]

Sawyer
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-09 09:42 PM EDT (US)     12 / 28       
cya

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!
Elpea: Your sound folder is right next to your fart sounds folder.
Marcus Varro
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-09 10:28 PM EDT (US)     13 / 28       
We'll miss you mate! Now I just need to buy another copy of TAD to access multiplayer to take his place! (Dang hackers!)

Immanual Kant
Cheesewiz
HG Alumnus
posted 01-29-09 10:53 PM EDT (US)     14 / 28       
I newsied it as well. It's really too bad, they were a great company.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 01-29-09 11:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 28       
It’s a sad day.

But there is still hope for new games from two new companies that are being formed by former ES employees.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 01-29-2009 @ 11:51 PM).]

Hydro86
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 00:06 AM EDT (US)     16 / 28       
This is sad :-(

If you are reading this, I'm just wasting your time.
ESO: Hydro86
Current Rank: 2nd Lieutenant on VAL, Master Sarge TAD
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 01-30-09 00:58 AM EDT (US)     17 / 28       
After this, I'll probably be moving on soon What, with new games like SC2, Halo Wars, and good old games like CoH, Total War, I'm probably not going to be looking at the AOE disk for a while. Plus, I just bought live, so it's time to kick some zombie arse on L4D with my friends!
If you leave AoE, make sure you leave A-US so you won't be in-active...

Yay! Moshe is still here Good to see you post

Good luck ES employees in your future journeys!

GL + HF!
MockHamill
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 02:16 AM EDT (US)     18 / 28       
Thank you for making the best game I have ever played.
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 05:19 AM EDT (US)     19 / 28       
IMO they made one the best games ever: AOE (all of them), it is sad to see them go

Eso: Sir_SR

Some say that he only faces the north pole, and that he thought that the "credit crunch" was a ceral brand, all we know is he's call THE STIG! - Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

[this message has been edited due to the lameness of Strategic Joel]

[This message has been edited by Sir_SR (edited 01-30-2009 @ 05:22 AM).]

Marcus Varro
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 12:11 PM EDT (US)     20 / 28       
Question:

Would the creators still own the rights to AoE, or does Microsoft own the exclusively now?

Immanual Kant
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-30-09 01:36 PM EDT (US)     21 / 28       
By the By, Age Sanctuary is getting all the fame, AoE Heaven needs to make a fan-patch too. I have a feeling that competition between fan-sites will keep the game around longer. Of course, all the patches will need to be compatible with each other and all that.
Better yet, support and use the Fan Patch that's already out, so the community won't become even more fragmented. If there's too many patches out there, people will stop playing because it will be too hard to get a game you're compatible with. One Fan Patch (and its updates) is enough.

Also keep playing and making CSO, because they are the primary reason I sign in anymore. It's nice to find a random game of Cats n' Mice, Warrior Defence or Mers Zelda running when I have a little time to kill. (Or a lot, in the case of Zelda.) With a broad and healthy CSO community, what was once just one game can become any game you want.

As for ES, I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again. Thanks for all the great years of adventures, from the Stone Age to the Post-Imperial Age. ES will be missed as the single greatest source of historical RTS gaming.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
gunner1
Scenario Expert
posted 01-30-09 02:24 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28       
Question:

Would the creators still own the rights to AoE, or does Microsoft own the exclusively now?
Sadly microsoft still own the rights. Whats even more despicable is the way that the director of games for windows said about it.
I want to reassure you that Microsoft will still own the Age of Empires intellectual property. As a company, we're very excited about the future potential for Age of Empires, and as a PC gamer I'm looking forward to what that future holds. Stay tuned
Like that comments on this page where it was posted, I too am disguisted at how out of touch microsoft are that they believe the fans see microsoft as the force that makes Age of Empires what it is and not ES.

Microsofts blatent abondonemt of the PC market really sickens me. That they have essentially taken over a company that has consistenly made games that sold millions of copies, then robbed its franchise name and got rid of it founders so It could make a quick profit out of its sequels. Its not just ES, they got rid of the flight sim team too. MS needs to remember that its loyalest of fans are the PC gamers, not the xbox gamers, A fact that microsoft will soon regret forgetting!

[This message has been edited by gunner1 (edited 01-30-2009 @ 02:24 PM).]

Lord Berminator
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 04:46 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28       
Maybe some uber programmers could design patches to combat cheating and hacking to an extent?

Scenarios: Worldmap Series I: North America, Worldmap Series II: Caribbean, The Wasteland

Editor of: Orissa, Kill the Sun, Bathe in Hate

Current Projects: Fog of War, Island Hopping
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 05:05 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28       
They will probably do something about cheating and hacking or else things will be a mess, and they can't let that happen.
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 01-31-09 00:57 AM EDT (US)     25 / 28       
Microsofts blatent abondonemt of the PC market really sickens me. That they have essentially taken over a company that has consistenly made games that sold millions of copies, then robbed its franchise name and got rid of it founders so It could make a quick profit out of its sequels.
Sadly this is very true.
I share your feelings about this shameful act.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 01-31-2009 @ 00:57 AM).]

A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 01-31-09 01:10 AM EDT (US)     26 / 28       
Quoted from gunner1:
Microsofts blatent abondonemt of the PC market really sickens me. That they have essentially taken over a company that has consistenly made games that sold millions of copies, then robbed its franchise name and got rid of it founders so It could make a quick profit out of its sequels.
Oh yeh... I never thought of it that way
emperor akbar
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 06:23 AM EDT (US)     27 / 28       
thank u eso for giving my life a happiness its sad u leave
but ur effort will be hailed for genrations.

ES WAS THE BEST!

[This message has been edited by emperor akbar (edited 01-31-2009 @ 06:25 AM).]

gunner1
Scenario Expert
posted 01-31-09 06:39 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28       
I look foward to the new company hopefully making a completely new RTS, my only fear is that it won't sell to well without the AOE3 brand or that the company wouldn't be able to get investment to make it to high quality.

ES will be sorely missed by all.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames