You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.25 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The British Grenadier and Musketeer Defence
Bottom
Topic Subject:The British Grenadier and Musketeer Defence
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 01:55 AM EDT (US)         
hi again this is a strat for the brits that i have being using lataly and it works quite well, anyway here it is:

The British Grenadier and Musketeer Defence for TAD 1.01a

In AOE 3 the brits have the best Grenadiers hand down when all the improvement cards are sent, so how would you use them to help you to win?
The answer The:............
British Grenadier and Musketeer Defence
About some of the Cards:
Improved Grenades:
This card gives the grenadiers a whopping 100 siege and an extra 20% attack on all other attack stats
Team Musket/Grenadier Hitpoints:
This card gives an extra 15% Hitpoints to muskets and Grenadiers

The Build Order:
Discovery Age:
Build as many Manors as possible
First Card: 3 vills
Age with 18 vills and the Governor

Transition:
7 vills on Food, 7 on wood, 3 on coin
Build 1 manor (that vill goes to food)
Que 1 vill
After queuing (wait around 30 secs after queuing it) the vill have 3 vills on food, 13 on wood, and 3 on coin
Just before the end of the age up move 6 vills from wood to food, and 3 vills from wood to coin

Colonial Age:
Build an artillery Foundry
Build an outpost with the age up wagon
Gather the gold
Next Shipment: 700 wood
Keep making vills (1 by 1, don’t que up a hole stack of them, these also go to food, maybe a few go to coin)
Que as many Grenadiers as possible
Gather the wood (from shipment)
Build 3-4 manors (all of these vills go to food), and a barracks
Que a few muskets and you should still be making grenadiers
Next Shipment: 6 muskets
Build 1 outpost near the TC (for extra defence)
You should now have 20 vills on food, 1 on wood, and 6 on coin (you may need to move some wood vills for food to get 20 on food)
Next Shipment: Team Musket/Grenadier Hitpoints

By now the rush should have been defeated or close to it, so it is time to go on the offence that means shipping: Improved Grenades, after shipping this you should get the win pretty easily, and you should still be making Muskets and Grenadiers

The Deck, needed:
3 vills
600 wood
700 wood
700 gold
5 vills
Team musket and Grenadier combat
Improved Greandes
6 muskets

Good Luck and Have Fun with my
Grenadier and Musket Defence

P.S (Once again cookie here is another one for the special names list, thx, comments are welcome)

Eso: Sir_SR

Some say that he only faces the north pole, and that he thought that the "credit crunch" was a ceral brand, all we know is he's call THE STIG! - Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

[this message has been edited due to the lameness of Strategic Joel]

[This message has been edited by Sir_SR (edited 01-30-2009 @ 04:14 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-30-09 02:17 AM EDT (US)     1 / 25       
musk+hussar> musk+gren IMO
this is because RI spam can defeat this with micro.
Additionally, grens are TOO expensive to use this early in the game (IMO) so wait until you have a nice eco running and then add in a foundry+ grenadiers.

It is probably better aging w/ food guy if making grens since they are extremely food heavy so that will power your rush a bit.

"Once again cookie here is another one for the special names list, thx, comments are welcome"

you wish... :P
IMO you'll need to use BB coding and make it look like it took you more than 5 minutes to make..
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 02:31 AM EDT (US)     2 / 25       
for a while i thought someone just copy and pasted my writing, then i saw "que 1 vil", i was like , "phew!"
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 03:02 AM EDT (US)     3 / 25       
in this strat crazy lunatic i have always been able to get out a few batches of 4 or 5 Grens and a few batches of , 4 or 5 muskets, micro will be a factor, but if yours is good enough you will almost beat any unit combo in age 2

Some say that he only faces the north pole, and that he thought that the "credit crunch" was a ceral brand, all we know is he's call THE STIG! - Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

Ha_Luke
Sig Award Winner
posted 01-30-09 03:36 AM EDT (US)     4 / 25       
I have to agree with CrazyLunatic here. RI just beats this combo if you are both microing. Hussars can take care of RI, so itīs better to go musk + hussar. The best thing a grenadier can do is siege, but you are using him in a situation where you don't need siege...

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
[TΣ]_Ha_Luke_331

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
-Voltaire
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. " - Plato
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 04:00 AM EDT (US)     5 / 25       
your opinion will change when you see some rec's, but i have none at the minute, because i don't rec my games, it is actually very effective IMO

Lord_Sami
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 04:34 AM EDT (US)     6 / 25       
If u go OP u make several groups out of ur army and are good at getting him stuck between the like 3 groups of army

'09 Match Of Death Winner

My elorating

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. -Napoleon
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 04:36 AM EDT (US)     7 / 25       
you know that is what i actully end up doing

[This message has been edited by Sir_SR (edited 01-30-2009 @ 04:37 AM).]

Ganzzer
Banned
posted 01-30-09 11:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 25       
Hey your top 10 in the noob bashers ladder. How can we be sure this strat is solid?
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 04:33 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25       
I have stopped noob bashing this year, i made a promise to a person, but i promise this strat is solid i have played some un rated games with it against some 2nd lut's and master serg's on the fan patch , if you don't want to use it on the basis don't.

[This message has been edited by Sir_SR (edited 01-30-2009 @ 05:52 PM).]

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-30-09 07:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25       
"in this strat crazy lunatic i have always been able to get out a few batches of 4 or 5 Grens and a few batches of , 4 or 5 muskets, micro will be a factor, but if yours is good enough you will almost beat any unit combo in age 2 "

it's easier to win this by microing xbows/skirms than it is by microing grens/muskets.

Think about it logically, grens and musks are both HI, so Ranged infantry will win.

There was a pretty good game nature phoenix vs luigi, np did a grenadier rush (which kivlov stole... :P) and luigi did double rax xbow. End result: luigi won... (additionally i'm guessing np's micro> luigi's) he did pure grenadier at first not musket + grenadier otherwise he definitely would have gotten butchered.
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 07:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25       
Nice write up, good effort.
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 07:11 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25       
Yes grens are harder to micro, but if you do other micro with other units and protect your grens, then it makes it much better chance of you winning, since grens are so good vs buildings, people like building them.
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 07:35 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25       
My idea was for the muskets to be a defence vs cav and a meat shield against Xbows and skirms

xentelian
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 02:43 AM EDT (US)     14 / 25       
7 hussar is almost always more valuable than 8 grenadiers, but they can make a good army supplement once they get upgrades. Colonial age, they just plain stink.
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 03:47 AM EDT (US)     15 / 25       
100 siege in colonial, I don't think they stink

Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 10:42 AM EDT (US)     16 / 25       
Well they are good for taking down buildings, but if you don't protect them right with the musk from the cav, then they will die easily.
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-31-09 12:18 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25       
"My idea was for the muskets to be a defence vs cav and a meat shield against Xbows and skirms"

the problem is that they are a shitty meat shield since skirms have bonus vs them.

musket hussar is much more useful
xentelian
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 08:06 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25       
8 unupgraded grens - 432 siege
15 unupgraded pike - 480 siege AND they rock cav AND they beat the gren group (allbeit barely)

grens supplement an army, but cannot be the major unit of one, at least not cost effectively
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 02-02-09 04:29 AM EDT (US)     19 / 25       
Can i just ask this:
have any of you actually tryed the strat say...... against the AI (or real people if you want), because before you keep anoying me with your coments about how this and that will not work, can you just try it, and see how it goes?

Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 02-02-09 07:06 AM EDT (US)     20 / 25       
Sir_sr is right, give it a shot and see how it goes, but don't just because before you thought it suck, start ripping on it after you tried it just once. Give it some time...it might grow on you.
jampotbicks
Skirmisher
posted 02-02-09 05:18 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25       
I do something similar to this, but I make a few bits of wall and make some lbows early, with some muskets. Then at about 7-8 mins I place a foundry and make grens while shipping the upgrades. Istead of using them in a fight you should send a bout 20 of them when fully carded in colonial round to you opponents base and kill every building you can before their army comes and stops you.

ESO:Jamie12345 (Master Sergent-2nd Lt)

When people ask me to do something online they say plz because its shorter than please. So I say no because its shorter than yes.
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 02-02-09 06:48 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25       
have any of you actually tryed the strat say...... against the AI (or real people if you want), because before you keep anoying me with your coments about how this and that will not work, can you just try it, and see how it goes?
you don't really need to always try out a strat to tell if it will work efficiently or not. You are spending 500 wood early on in the game for military buildings instead of just spending 200 wood and using the other 300 wood for houses which improves a brit eco.
For example, Brianmanhattan suggested a ninja/petard FI, does that mean you're going to actually try that out to see if it works vs a decent opponent?

Also, if you really want people to see how it works, post recordings (which i believe are needed for the strat to count towards forum name credit)

Perhaps instead of telling the readers to try it out you should. It doesn't seem that you actually even tried it out very much due to the conspicuous lack of recordings and timings (of aging, when troops finish building, when you attack, etc.)

QUACK

[This message has been edited by CrazyLunatic (edited 02-02-2009 @ 06:52 PM).]

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 02-02-09 07:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 25       
this strat works...

..because i have used it and shared it two years ago, as shown in the link in my signature

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 02-02-2009 @ 07:23 PM).]

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 02-02-09 09:43 PM EDT (US)     24 / 25       
this strat works...

..because i have used it and shared it two years ago, as shown in the link in my signature
lol
This is a completely different variation though, notice he ages with 18 vills instead of 17 and ages with outpost+ gold instead of food!!! / sarcasm

Also in your strat you made the disclamer that this is done vs a ff, while this seems to imply the use of grenadiers/musketeers in colonial warfare.

QUACK
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 02-03-09 00:28 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25       
Jampot's in this strat i am not restraining you to just musket's and gren's, if you want you can add in Lbow's or cav if you have the eco

[This message has been edited by Sir_SR (edited 02-04-2009 @ 03:37 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames