Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Map Guide: Yukon
Bottom
Topic Subject:Map Guide: Yukon
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 01-30-09 06:26 AM EDT (US)         
A Map Guide to Yukon By James246 TAD1.01a

Ive always liked Yukon. Its great playing as Russia, as you can just plant your Blockhouse as close to enemy as possible, and then just keep them contained. GG

Map Description:

Your enemys towns are close, so be on your guard. Cross the central river and claim the Treasure-rich region to the north. Mines are plentiful on the northern half of the map; expect to struggle until you have a second town.

The Trade Route will be hard to completely control, with each team having access to one Trading Post site. Two Cree or Nootka villages are found north of the river.

Map Information:

Yukon is a map packed full of treasures. On the side section of the map, across the river, there are great treasures everywhere. These are great, as they can certainly boost your economy.

The Trading Route divides the map in half, with one half being where all the towns are, and the other half being the river and the treasure-rich land.

The map is also a small size, making it great for 1v1's if you want to contain your opponent.

The map also has some useful Natives. The Cree allow you to train Cree Coureur De Bois, which can be a great boost to your economy, and the Nootka have a technology to boost your villagers HP by 50%! Check out the natives section down a bit further for more information.

Starting Crates:

On Yukon, you will start with your usual starting crates. You receive no bonus/extra crates.

Map Layouts:

1v1:

Team:

FFA:

Trading Posts:

Trading Route:

There will always be a Trading Route which will run across the map, just underneath the river. There will always be 4 Trading Post Sites.

Natives:

There will always be two Native Settlements on the northern section of the map.

These will be a pick from:

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Nootka

Basic overview

The Nootka can train Nootka Clubman. Their technology is mostly put towards these units; one of these technologies allows you to train Nootka faster and more cheaply, another allows you to build a Nootka War Chief, and the last gives a significant boost to the HPs of your villagers. You can have 15 Nootka Clubman for each Nootka trading post that you hold, and they appear on two standard maps; Yukon and California.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Nootka | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Cree

Basic overview

The Cree produce Cree Trackers, and you are normally allowed 13 of them for every Cree Trade Post that you hold. They also have the unique ability to produce Cree Coureur De Bois, which aside from their name are identical to the French unit - and you can have 5 of these for every Cree Trade Post you hold. The Cree also give you access to a variety of technologies that lower building costs, increase the amount of Trackers you can have per trade post, and increase the HP of most of your military units. The Cree appear on Saguenay and Yukon.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Cree | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Most of the information above in the Natives section came from the Minor Natives Guide - By Peachrocks, StR_VipeR, DAMNIT

I would like to give a huge thank you to all the effort they put into that guide.

Resources:

Food:

Musk Ox: (500 Food) These huntables will be scattered around the map.

Caribou: (400 Food) These huntables will be scattered around the map.

Coin:

Gold Mine: (5000 Coin) These will be scattered around the map. There are only very few of them.

Silver Mine: (2000 Coin) These will be scattered around the map.

Wood:

Trees: (300 Wood) These will be scattered around the map in forests.

Common Treasures:

To learn more about Treasure Hunting, check out A Guide to Treasure Hunting - By Mokon

Beaver who pelts are worth 10/20/30/40/50 Coin. (Always varies. A few of these scattered around the map).
Guardian/s: None

A den of skunks whose pelts are worth 40 XP.
Guardian/s: 1x Wolf

A stand of chokecherry trees bearing fruit worth 40 Food.
Guardian/s: 1x Wolf

A store of lodgepole pine worth 100 Wood.
Guardian/s: 2x Polar Bear

Porcupines whos valuable quills are worth 135 XP.

A stand of tamarack trees worth 60 Wood.
Guardian/s: 3x Wolf

A stand of spruce trees worth 125 Wood.

The morion of El Pollo Guapo which increases explorer or hero hitpoints by 100%

A cache of tin worth 150 Coin
Guardian/s: 3x Wolf

A trapped Settler, who may join the cause of a rescuer.
Guardian/s: 3x Polar Bear

A trapped Coureur des Bois. He may join the cause of whoever rescues him.
Guardian/s: 3x Polar Bear

Marigolds worth 80 XP.
Guardian/s: 2x Wolf

A native scout, who may join the cause of a rescuer.
Guardian/s: 1x Polar Bear

All of the big treasures are on the side area of the map. The smaller ones are on the main part.

Strategy/Game play Options:

Due to the treasures on the side of the map, it's a fantastic idea to take your explorer up there to get treasures. Due to the amount of treasures, you might want to understand their guardians better. This info is in A Guide to Treasure Hunting - By Mokon. A part from the treasures, map control is a must, due to the small size of the map. If you can get map control and contain your opponent, it will be very hard for your opponent to escape on this map. Rushing is effective because of this reason, and I would recommend building your Forward Base as close to the enemy as possible. When the game goes on, make sure you keep using your explorer to get the bigger treasures, and you can use some of your military to help him as well. FF'ing isn't very strong on Yukon, due to your opponent being able to easily contain you and keep you off resources, so rushing is a better option. Yukon is a great map to play on, ensuring some competitive game play.

Note: This map is included in the Standard Maps Rotation.

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 02-01-2009 @ 00:58 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
ckei
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 06:29 AM EDT (US)     1 / 26       
whoa!!

A new map guide? already?

very good guide, again

O "All you big boys stay back and let me do my thaaaang"O
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-30-09 06:32 AM EDT (US)     2 / 26       
Thank you

I've had them on my computer for a little bit now. Just a matter of doing the screenshots :/

Ugh.... Now I've gotta change my sig... Again...

Anyway, that is 6 Guides for me now! (I think..) I'm now and Imperial Redcoat!
ckei
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 08:01 AM EDT (US)     3 / 26       
congratz james gj

O "All you big boys stay back and let me do my thaaaang"O
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 11:01 AM EDT (US)     4 / 26       
IMO a useless guide you can make in 5 minutes shouldn't count

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe

[This message has been edited by Lord_Richjp (edited 01-30-2009 @ 11:06 AM).]

Ha_Luke
Sig Award Winner
posted 01-30-09 01:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26       
+1

Did you just copy/paste the 'Guide of Deccan' layout and just changed some stats?

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
[TΣ]_Ha_Luke_331

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
-Voltaire
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. " - Plato
Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 01:04 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26       
I don't think that 3 map guides would cut it. Maybe one would if you put a lot of detail into it, but when you make 3 in a row like this, it's kinda obvious that you just want to be the first contributor to get a custom title.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-30-09 07:16 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26       
"IMO a useless guide you can make in 5 minutes shouldn't count"

+1
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 07:38 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26       
I don't think it is useless, for people who have never played on yukon it can be very handy to know the weaknesses and strenghts of the map, again a good job james

Eso: Sir_SR

Some say that he only faces the north pole, and that he thought that the "credit crunch" was a ceral brand, all we know is he's call THE STIG! - Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

[this message has been edited due to the lameness of Strategic Joel]
Marneus Calgar
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 01-30-09 08:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26       
It is not useless, but it probably did take about 5 minutes to make. When there is some kind of reward for this, there will always be people trying to beat the system by taking the easy route.

Only guides which are original and well thought out should be counted, not guides where you just copy and paste info from different places, add pictures and call it a guide.

The "Strategy/Game play Options:" section is the only original part to this thread.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
Teutonic Twit
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-30-09 09:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26       
Other than the graphics,these map guides for the most part are nothing more than a copy of (word for word) the map guide in AOE's "The Official Guide".

[This message has been edited by Teutonic Twit (edited 01-30-2009 @ 09:08 PM).]

iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-30-09 09:31 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26       
nah it takes quite a bit of work, you have to play a game with a computer, resign, then look at the treasures, write them down, look at resources, write them down, look at the native posts on the map and write them down.. spice it up with some bb coding, and your got yourself a guide to get a title. :P

its challenging..

iTech64
My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
My Mapguides: Northwest Territories
jonesk
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 09:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 26       
This was about as useful as Brian Manahan's Ninja/Petard FI.
Teutonic Twit
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-30-09 10:03 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26       
iTech64, the Natives and resources are describe in "The Official Guide". I'll give you the research on the treasures, put that's not that difficult
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-30-09 10:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 26       
oh
didnt know that, i actually played a game to get the treasures ...

oh and not sure who asked for it but someone was wondering where dabottles china guide was?
Here is it

iTech64
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-30-09 10:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 26       
IMO a useless guide you can make in 5 minutes shouldn't count
And...
It is not useless, but it probably did take about 5 minutes to make
If you guys would like to know, all of the 3 guides took more than 5 minutes to make each. It's a bit of work. I've been working on them for a while now, but finally got the screen shots done yesterday and posted them up.

How about, you guys stop critising, and start doing some of your own work instead of just sitting back and critising others.
When there is some kind of reward for this, there will always be people trying to beat the system by taking the easy route.
I'm taking no easy route here. As I said before, they take a while.

How about you stop critising and make some of your own. See if you can do it in 5 minutes.
Only guides which are original and well thought out should be counted, not guides where you just copy and paste info from different places, add pictures and call it a guide.
I didn't copy and paste anything. Everything here is my own work. Like I said before, if your not going to do anything yourself, stop just critising others work.
Did you just copy/paste the 'Guide of Deccan' layout and just changed some stats?
No, not really. The Deccan guide is similar, and I did that on purpose, as Cookie said to... (Look Below)
Also, if anyone wants to make other map specific guides, you can follow this one's format.
Also, I just found something:
I was going to do this for all standard maps, in less detail, but gave up. Too much work.
Why? Was 5 minutes too much for you?

From here: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=30&tn=63&st=1#post2

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 01-30-2009 @ 10:31 PM).]

A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-30-09 10:55 PM EDT (US)     16 / 26       
Completely redesigned the Natives Section.
Natives:

There will always be two Native Settlements on the northern section of the map.

These will be a pick from:

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Nootka

Basic overview

The Nootka can train Nootka Clubman. Their technology is mostly put towards these units; one of these technologies allows you to train Nootka faster and more cheaply, another allows you to build a Nootka War Chief, and the last gives a significant boost to the HPs of your villagers. You can have 15 Nootka Clubman for each Nootka trading post that you hold, and they appear on two standard maps; Yukon and California.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Nootka | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Cree

Basic overview

The Cree produce Cree Trackers, and you are normally allowed 13 of them for every Cree Trade Post that you hold. They also have the unique ability to produce Cree Coureur De Bois, which aside from their name are identical to the French unit - and you can have 5 of these for every Cree Trade Post you hold. The Cree also give you access to a variety of technologies that lower building costs, increase the amount of Trackers you can have per trade post, and increase the HP of most of your military units. The Cree appear on Saguenay and Yukon.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Cree | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Most of the information above in the Natives section came from the Minor Natives Guide - By Peachrocks, StR_VipeR, DAMNIT

I would like to give a huge thank you to all the effort they put into that guide.

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 01-30-2009 @ 11:28 PM).]

Marneus Calgar
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 01-31-09 00:47 AM EDT (US)     17 / 26       
Thought you might pull that on me. That was for a guide of all standard maps. All twenty five of them.

5 minutes times 25 guides is 125 minutes. Or a little over 2 hours. So. yeah, I've got better thing to do.

Actually, you know what, I'll take back what I said, you probably put some effort in this, and it probably took the better side of half an hour to do a guide like this. Does not stop it from being unoriginal. It is impossible for this to be your own work. You did not design the game, the map, or any features of the map, so I will stick with what I said that the game play options section is the only original part.

I don't realize how you can tell people not to criticize. Do you think all your guides are perfect as soon as you post them?

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-31-09 00:51 AM EDT (US)     18 / 26       
i think the only map guides im gonna do are of my favorite maps, ill try to be very in depth with my future ones

iTech64
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-31-09 01:01 AM EDT (US)     19 / 26       
5 minutes times 25 guides is 125 minutes. Or a little over 2 hours. So. yeah, I've got better thing to do.
I'd love to see you make a guide like this in 5 minutes.
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 01:01 AM EDT (US)     20 / 26       
Nice job, I love this map for battles all the time and a lower source of food so you have to gain map control to get new herds.
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-31-09 01:08 AM EDT (US)     21 / 26       
Yup, map control is a must.

Just added this:
Map control is a must on this map, due to the small amount of resources. I'd recommend taking control early.
Cholesterol
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 02:01 AM EDT (US)     22 / 26       
Has anyone else noticed that all three map guides that james posted have no bonus xp/resource crates..? or is that just me? Is there a reason for that james?

but good job, having a guide that took you 5 mins is better than having NO guide..even if it did take you 5 mins...5 mins...
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-31-09 02:19 AM EDT (US)     23 / 26       
as anyone else noticed that all three map guides that james posted have no bonus xp/resource crates..? or is that just me? Is there a reason for that james?
Well, it's because you receive no bonus starting crates... You only do on Carolina, Deccan and Hispaniola.
Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 07:04 AM EDT (US)     24 / 26       
Good guide, same opinion...
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 05:14 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26       
How about you stop critising and make some of your own. See if you can do it in 5 minutes.
I don't see the point in writing up something that anyone who has the game knows 5 minutes after installation. And the updated minor natives piece might aswell just be a link to the large minor natives guide peachrocks made.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-01-09 00:56 AM EDT (US)     26 / 26       
Edited/Added:

Map Information:

Yukon is a map packed full of treasures. On the side section of the map, across the river, there are great treasures everywhere. These are great, as they can certainly boost your economy.

The Trading Route divides the map in half, with one half being where all the towns are, and the other half being the river and the treasure-rich land.

The map is also a small size, making it great for 1v1's if you want to contain your opponent.

The map also has some useful Natives. The Cree allow you to train Cree Coureur De Bois, which can be a great boost to your economy, and the Nootka have a technology to boost your villagers HP by 50%! Check out the natives section down a bit further for more information.

Strategy/Game play Options:

Due to the treasures on the side of the map, it's a fantastic idea to take your explorer up there to get treasures. Due to the amount of treasures, you might want to understand their guardians better. This info is in A Guide to Treasure Hunting - By Mokon. A part from the treasures, map control is a must, due to the small size of the map. If you can get map control and contain your opponent, it will be very hard for your opponent to escape on this map. Rushing is effective because of this reason, and I would recommend building your Forward Base as close to the enemy as possible. When the game goes on, make sure you keep using your explorer to get the bigger treasures, and you can use some of your military to help him as well. FF'ing isn't very strong on Yukon, due to your opponent being able to easily contain you and keep you off resources, so rushing is a better option. Yukon is a great map to play on, ensuring some competitive game play.

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 02-01-2009 @ 00:58 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames