You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » I think I'm the worst player ever.
Bottom
Topic Subject:I think I'm the worst player ever.
rfusee
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 02:24 PM EDT (US)         
Guys,

I need serious help. I blow. I've learned the basics of constantly spewing villies, how to FF or rush, where to setup FB's, etc. My problem is, I LOSE EVERY FREAKING BATTLE!!! I can have my opponent outnumbered, and I just get SQUASHED. I keep hearing "micro your battles". How do you micro?? Just for laughs, although this is no joke, here's how I fight.

I highlight all of my units - ALL OF THEM, then right click on some random soldier of my opponents army. That's it.

I will occassionally send cav around to try and kill artillery, but i usually don't reach the point where I make cav.

When I have artillery, they get smacked by cav all the time, I can't seem to figure out how to make a group of pikes to surround my artillery to keep them from the cav?
AuthorReplies:
Derek_Zoolander
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 02:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Don't ever highlight every unit in an army. Group your RI into one tab (shift+[number]), your cav into one number, your HI into one one number, so on so forth. This'll make it easier to micro. But make sure your HI are targeting cavalry, your cav are going after RI, your RI going after HI, etc. You understand the countering system, right?

For the cannon thing, just keep a small contingent of troops behind and make sure they don't move from the cannon.

Formerly Pandar.
ESO: Derek_Zoolander
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 02:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
You can double click a unit and it will select all units of the same type (all pikes, skirms etc.) that makes it easier aswell

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
rfusee
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 02:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
ok good advise. and zoolander is a classic movie.

follow up question. normally I just make buttloads of xbow, i'm assuming thats a bad idea and I need to mix it up?

so, lets say i have some RI (xbow, right?) and some HI (pike/rod? for spanish). I group them in clusters. Then, when I send my HI at a group of cav, how do I ensure they keep attacking cav and not move to something else? Is this what the alt-click is for? If I alt-click a group of cav will they continue attacking cav until done?
BabyBelugaa
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 09:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
You can't possibly be worse than me.

It's been 9 months since I've played and when I did play I never got above Corporal rank. And I played A LOT!

So please, bow before the true suck.

When the Winnebago is parked on your chest, it's probably too late.

As_Saffah on villagers: "Sometimes they're dumb and get waylaid by bears, they don't ever seem to be able to run fast enough, but they serve endlessly for no compensation other than to be given an occasional pretty building to look at, or a cushy job landscaping your mango grove or cherry orchard"
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 01-30-09 10:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
You can also click and drag your units. Be constantly selecting 8-10 units (or however many it takes to kill) to kill individual units.
Lord Berminator
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 10:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Late at night here so I don't have time to offer much advice, but dude don't feel disheartened, there are noobs out there and all they do is play scens and compstomps all day. Just keep asking all us for advice and practicing, and eventually you'll get better and better. I used to be stuck as a corp for months, but after practicing a LOT in FFAs and getting advice from the top pros at this site, I've gone on a huge winning streak with China and became a M Sarge in about a week.

Scenarios: Worldmap Series I: North America, Worldmap Series II: Caribbean, The Wasteland

Editor of: Orissa, Kill the Sun, Bathe in Hate

Current Projects: Fog of War, Island Hopping
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 11:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Just practice and play people your own rank if you want to get better. Or find a clan that trains people and get one of the people in the clan to train you. Find a civ you like and stick with it, you don't need to know all civs just one you like and learn it. Also look in the strategy section and record game section and learn some strats and how to improve your play.
zezarak
Skirmisher
posted 01-30-09 11:44 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Here goes my mighty tip:

- For artillery use defend mode with units or cavalry, it surrounds the cannons for protection.

- Have your infantry in stagger mode, and highlight several units and attack the other Infanty. Like highlight 10 over and over or make numbered groups.

- make cavalry run to the left or right and use shift clicks to come around by clicking right spot far away the up more shift click, then shift click behind then shift click at the cannon.

- Always keep a watch on there units and see what they make and make counters for that.

- Go to menu options, advance formations for the stagger mode ect...

- Also never highlight all units. It is like an overkill and waste of a shot to kill 3 at once.

Hope that explains enough, i tried my best. But these tactics do help a lot.

Feel free to ask If you don't understand my gibberish writing lol..

[This message has been edited by zezarak (edited 01-30-2009 @ 11:45 PM).]

dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 03:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
Just practice and play people your own rank if you want to get better.
rofl
CookieCrisp13
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 06:27 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
Whats so funny about good advice?

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames