Topic Subject:Map Guide: Saguenay
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
(id: James246)
posted 01-31-09 02:17 AM EDT (US)         
A Map Guide to Saguenay – By James246 – TAD1.01a

Map Description:

In this resource-heavy region, you will start with an extra random economic building in addition to your Town Center. Building Outposts near the local Cree and Huron villages may help control sections of the map.

Map Information:

On Saguenay, a great start to the game is receiving an economic building next to your Town Center. This building will be a pick from: Market, Livestock Pen, Mill or Plantation. Let's say you get a Market. This is a great way to get your economy going early, and if it's a market it can allow you to get a few treasures and research Hunting Dogs early. Or say you get a Livestock Pen? There are sheep around the whole map, allowing you to get them and send them to the Pen, allowing you to fatten them faster.

Another advantage is the water. This water, where there is always a lake on the top of the map, is full of fish and whales. It is incredible for it's size, as it is packed with fish and whales for a great fishing boom. Even when the fish run it, it's a great resource due to the amount of whales.

Also, there are some very useful Natives. The Cree are excellent, allowing you to train some Cree Coureur De Bois, which can boost your economy. The Huron also allow a technology to research which increases your ability to fish. Check out the natives section down a bit further for more information.

Starting Crates:

On Saguenay, you will start with your usual starting crates. You receive no bonus/extra crates.

Map Layouts:

1v1:

Team:

FFA:

Trading Posts:

Trading Route:

There will always be a Trading Route on Saguenay. In 1v1’s the Trading Route goes across the middle of the map underneath the lake, and will have 4 Trading Post Sites.

In Team games, the Trading Route will divide the two teams in half, as you can see in the Map Layout’s, and will always have 3 Trading Post Sites.

In FFA’s, the Trading Route will go through the middle of the map, and have 3 Trading Post Sites.

Natives:

On Saguenay, there will always be 4 Native Settlements. There will be 2 of them, either side of the lake, with one at the top and one at the bottom. On the right hand side will be two Cree Settlements, and there will be two Huron Settlements on the left.

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Huron

Basic overview

The Huron produce Huron Mantlet units, and you are usually allowed to build 10 of these per each Huron trading post the you hold. The technology available to the Huron is mostly of a military nature to aid their mantlet units, but they also provide a technology that improves your ability to fish. They appear on three standard maps, New England, Saguenay and Great Lakes (summer).

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Huron | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Cree

Basic overview

The Cree produce Cree Trackers, and you are normally allowed 13 of them for every Cree Trade Post that you hold. They also have the unique ability to produce Cree Coureur De Bois, which aside from their name are identical to the French unit - and you can have 5 of these for every Cree Trade Post you hold. The Cree also give you access to a variety of technologies that lower building costs, increase the amount of Trackers you can have per trade post, and increase the HP of most of your military units. The Cree appear on Saguenay and Yukon.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Cree | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Most of the information above in the Natives section came from the Minor Natives Guide - By Peachrocks, StR_VipeR, DAMNIT

I would like to give a huge thank you to all the effort they put into that guide.

Resources:

Food:

Deer: (400 Food) These will be scattered around the map, with a herd being at your TC

Elk: (500 Food) These will be scattered around the map.

Moose (500 Food) These will be scattered around the map.

Sheep: (50/300 Food at start of game. Fattening Food Source) There will be pairs of these around the map up for grabs.

Fish – Salmon: (500 Food) These fish will be scattered around the water.

Coin:

Silver Mine: (2000 Coin) These will be scattered around the land.

Humpback Whale: (Unlimited Coin) These will be scattered around the water. Get them early, since there isn’t that many to go around.

Wood:

Trees: (300 Wood) These will be scattered around the map in medium sized forests.

Common Treasures:

To learn more about Treasure Hunting, check out A Guide to Treasure Hunting - By Mokon

Beaver whose pelts are worth 10-50 Coin. (Always varies. A few of these scattered around the map, usually near TC’s).
Guardian/s: None

A den of skunks whose pelts are worth 40 XP
Guardian/s: 1x Wolf

Marigolds worth 80 XP
Guardian/s: 2x Wolf

A stand of saskatoon trees bearing fruit worth 80 Food.
Guardian/s: 2x Outlaw Riflemen

A trapped Native American Warrior. He may join the cause of whoever rescues him.
Guardian/s: 3x Wolf

A trapped Native Scout, who may join the cause of a rescuer.
Guardian/s: 1x Polar Bear A Polar Bear… In the middle of Saguenay… Weird aye?

A stand of quaking aspen worth 40 Wood
Guardian/s: 1x Grizzly Bear

A trapped Coureur des Bois. He may join the cause of whoever rescues him.
Guardian/s: 3x Polar Bear A Polar Bear… In the middle of Saguenay… Weird aye?

A nearly-mature wolf pup that you can tame.
Guardian/s: 3x Wolf

A stand of chokecherry trees bearing fruit worth 40 Food
Guardian/s: 1x Wolf

Cranberries worth 60 Food
Guardian/s: 2x Wolf

A covey of ptarmigan worth 150 Food.
Guardian/s: 2x Polar Bear

A medicine man, who will join your cause if rescued.
Guardian/s: 4x Cougar

The treasures are scattered around the map.

Strategy/Game play Options:

Saguenay, one word - Water. The water is a great asset, due to all the fish and the whales. Even when the fish do run out, you can still use the whales for a great amount of coin. If you do head to the water, it's a great idea to send 2 Caravels. Why? Well, these let you help take control of the water, plus, you can use them in land battles close to the shore, giving you that extra boost. But, of course, you don't need to head to the water. You can stay inland. But, if you do stay inland, you need to take control of the map really quickly and early, due to the resources being around the map, making you have to venture out. Outposts are a great idea. If you find yourself having a bit of extra wood, and the Cree Trading Posts are on your side of the map, consider building a Trading Post there. The Cree let you make Cree Coureur De Bois, which can provide a big boost to your economy. You can train 5 for each Cree Trading Post you have. Whatever your strategy, Saguenay will give you a good game, with some very competitive game play.

Note: This map is included in the Standard Maps Rotation.

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 02-02-2009 @ 00:57 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
ckei
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 03:08 AM EDT (US)     1 / 56       
nice design on the natives section,james

¨°ºO "All you big boys stay back and let me do my thaaaang"Oº°‘¨
Sir_SR
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 03:54 AM EDT (US)     2 / 56       
another already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am impressed with your speed
But you have lost none of your quality, it is good

Eso: Sir_SR

Some say that he only faces the north pole, and that he thought that the "credit crunch" was a ceral brand, all we know is he's call THE STIG! - Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

[this message has been edited due to the lameness of Strategic Joel]
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-31-09 04:23 AM EDT (US)     3 / 56       
nice design on the natives section,james
Why thank you.

Is that sarcasm?

I also changed the Native Section on the other 3 guides.
another already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am impressed with your speed
But you have lost none of your quality, it is good
Hehe. Thank you.
Bart331
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 05:52 AM EDT (US)     4 / 56       
you had 5 min spare time again james?

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

Battle.net:Bart (227)
ESO:Bart331
Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 06:56 AM EDT (US)     5 / 56       
Good guide, but no offense, I rarely find myself on Saguenay >< No offense intended to anybody, but I find map guides less effective and important as real strategies...
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-31-09 07:50 AM EDT (US)     6 / 56       
you had 5 min spare time again james?
More like 30 minutes...
Tyler McIntosh
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 10:52 AM EDT (US)     7 / 56       
I remember when I first played this map and I couldn't find the other guy because I didn't know how it was set up .
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-31-09 12:24 PM EDT (US)     8 / 56       
More like 30 minutes...

type faster lol.
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 12:27 PM EDT (US)     9 / 56       
More like 30 minutes...
If it took you 30 mins to write up this completely useless crap, then you are:
A)retarded
B)You write really slowly
C)you are doign this guides just for the ultra-mega-super-c00l-name!

Oh nono, that can't be. Wasting your time just for an e-name? impossible. Ignore option C.
Option B isn't very likely either, since most young people this days (like me) write really fast on the computer.
Derek_Zoolander
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 01:34 PM EDT (US)     10 / 56       
Option B isn't very likely either, since most young people this days (like me) write really fast on the computer.
How do you "write" on a computer?

Formerly Pandar.
ESO: Derek_Zoolander
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 02:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 56       
type.. on the keyboard.. you get the idea. -.-
Ganzzer
Banned
posted 01-31-09 03:02 PM EDT (US)     12 / 56       
Lol, no offense to anyone, but all these map guides are being done i think for option C, a cool e-name. I think strategy guides are useful, map guides are not. Also, I hate strats that are like "make cav and raid, and age up to fortress and you should win". I like useful guides like those that people rarely do, like wonder killing with with iro or like natives rushes with france and stuff like that. Those are fun and useful to read, and fun to try out in the game.
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-31-09 03:04 PM EDT (US)     13 / 56       
"If it took you 30 mins to write up this completely useless crap, then you are:
A)retarded
C)you are doign this guides just for the ultra-mega-super-c00l-name!"

sigged... :P
Marneus Calgar
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 01-31-09 04:06 PM EDT (US)     14 / 56       
When I left took a break from these boards and age sanc, I missed you the most, eicho.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 04:08 PM EDT (US)     15 / 56       
Saguenay Improved Guide
(Directly Copied From TWC RM Section)
Saguenay's an economist heaven, with each player starting out with a random economic building; will it be a Livestock Pen, Mill, Market? Of course, each player will have the same building no matter what it is. The Trade Route location varies; it could be verticle in the center of the map, or stretching horizontally, ending near each player's colony. Natives will be close to both teams. Saguenay's rich in resources, with plenty of food, mines, and forests. The fishing opportunities given by the central lake should not be ignored.
Herdables: Sheep (50/300f)
Herds: Deer (400f), Elk (500f), Moose (500f)
Tribes: Cree, Huron

I couldn't resist. Sorry James246 but 95% of your guide is slightly obvious to anyone above conscript. I just wonder how many RM guides there would be if they weren't for the special name thing.

[This message has been edited by DukeLeto (edited 01-31-2009 @ 04:09 PM).]

Ha_Luke
Sig Award Winner
posted 01-31-09 06:28 PM EDT (US)     16 / 56       
A)retarded
D)All above three

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
[TΣ]_Ha_Luke_331

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
-Voltaire
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. " - Plato
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 01-31-09 06:29 PM EDT (US)     17 / 56       
CrazyLunatic: Enable the "Include Signature" thing, so we can all see your sig

Chaplain How are you doing? I'm doing great, on a 14 week summer vacation right now, and it's strange, because im playing AOE3 a lot less that what i do when i got school. Belive it or not, I'm having social life!
In some days im going to a Cruise Ship that travels around Chile/Argentina, so you won't see me posting for 2 weeks. I'll probabluy be back middle february
Teutonic Twit
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-31-09 09:02 PM EDT (US)     18 / 56       
DukeLeto,

You skunked me...I had started the same data copying re. Saguenay last night, and was going to finish up with my thoughts today...oh well, early bird etc.
A_US_James246
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-31-09 10:12 PM EDT (US)     19 / 56       
A)retarded
Ok then. Let's see.

It takes a while to do:

• Taking all the screen shots
  • Uploading screen shots to photobucket
  • Going in and out of games to get the screenshots
  • Going in and out of games to check treasures that are there/ones that you have missed
  • Getting all of the natives info
  • Getting all of the resources
  • Writing it all up.

Please do not go off-topic in my thread. Instead, go to the Saloon and make a "Dodgy Map Guides" thread and post in there
    I couldn't resist. Sorry James246 but 95% of your guide is slightly obvious to anyone above conscript. I just wonder how many RM guides there would be if they weren't for the special name thing.
    Well, you see the thing is, I'm doing these, yet no one flames UGMO's guide that he did? Or even iTech's guide? Why is everyone flaming me?

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 01-31-2009 @ 10:16 PM).]

• CrazyLunatic
    Veteran Musketeer
    posted 01-31-09 10:22 PM EDT (US)     20 / 56       
    "CrazyLunatic: Enable the "Include Signature" thing, so we can all see your sig "

it is...

"Well, you see the thing is, I'm doing these, yet no one flames UGMO's guide that he did? Or even iTech's guide? Why is everyone flaming me?"

neither of them did like (4) map guides. No one is complaining about your strat guides.

QUACK
    A_US_James246
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 01-31-09 10:29 PM EDT (US)     21 / 56       
    neither of them did like (4) map guides. No one is complaining about your strat guides.
    Oh yeh... I forgot that Eicho and Marneus were saying how good the guides were =/
    Marneus Calgar
    Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
    posted 01-31-09 10:33 PM EDT (US)     22 / 56       
    Wait, what?

Your other guides are fine. You can tell you totally did some experimenting and tweaking and thinking for those ones. No-one was complaining about anything there and you deserved the vet status etc.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
    "Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
    "Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
    "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
    "If I were you, I would have sex with me."
    3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
    A_US_James246
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 01-31-09 10:35 PM EDT (US)     23 / 56       
    My "other" guides are fine? Then what's wrong with this one.
    Teutonic Twit
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 01-31-09 10:46 PM EDT (US)     24 / 56       
    James246,

I understand alot of the newbies may not know these maps and could use some input regarding each and probably appreciate your input. I've noticed your inclusion of additional information since you first started, congrats.

So if you're going to make guides,you should make them as complete as you can. In addition to using the data from "The Official Guides" may I suggest you also incorporate the random map info found on the front page under "Game Info".

Additionally, if you are familiar with a particular map via playing it, you may want to include your own "tips".This would give it a little more personal flavor, kinda like a strategy guide.

Don't be concerned how long it take, just try to be right....

[This message has been edited by Teutonic Twit (edited 01-31-2009 @ 10:48 PM).]

A_US_James246
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 01-31-09 11:00 PM EDT (US)     25 / 56       
    Added/Edited the following:

Map Information:

On Saguenay, a great start to the game is receiving an economic building next to your Town Center. This building will be a pick from: Market, Livestock Pen, Mill or Plantation. Let's say you get a Market. This is a great way to get your economy going early, and if it's a market it can allow you to get a few treasures and research Hunting Dogs early. Or say you get a Livestock Pen? There are sheep around the whole map, allowing you to get them and send them to the Pen, allowing you to fatten them faster.

Another advantage is the water. This water, where there is always a lake on the top of the map, is full of fish and whales. It is incredible for it's size, as it is packed with fish and whales for a great fishing boom. Even when the fish run it, it's a great resource due to the amount of whales.

Also, there are some very useful Natives. The Cree are excellent, allowing you to train some Cree Coureur De Bois, which can boost your economy. The Huron also allow a technology to research which increases your ability to fish. Check out the natives section down a bit further for more information.

Strategy/Game play Options:

Saguenay, one word - Water. The water is a great asset, due to all the fish and the whales. Even when the fish do run out, you can still use the whales for a great amount of coin. If you do head to the water, it's a great idea to send 2 Caravels. Why? Well, these let you help take control of the water, plus, you can use them in land battles close to the shore, giving you that extra boost. But, of course, you don't need to head to the water. You can stay inland. But, if you do stay inland, you need to take control of the map really quickly and early, due to the resources being around the map, making you have to venture out. Outposts are a great idea. If you find yourself having a bit of extra wood, and the Cree Trading Posts are on your side of the map, consider building a Trading Post there. The Cree let you make Cree Coureur De Bois, which can provide a big boost to your economy. You can train 5 for each Cree Trading Post you have. Whatever your strategy, Saguenay will give you a good game, with some very competitive game play.

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 01-31-2009 @ 11:03 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames