Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Random Names File
Bottom
Topic Subject:Random Names File
Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 05-11-09 01:23 AM EDT (US)         
I was doing some editing in the protoy and techtreey xml files, and for a break, decided to take a look at the random names file. Since I have not been satisfied with most of the explorer names, I have started giving them names from either history or literature that I have read. However, being sort of a stickler is some respects for historical accuracy, I have not always been happy with the ship names either. That is the file that supplies all of the ship, explorer, explorer and war dog, war chief, saloon, and fort names.

Some are clearly tied to the campaign game, so I did not tamper with them, but I kind of got carried away with some of the other lists. Kind of goes with being a naval historian and general history person. Once I figure out where I put my copy of Warships of the Royal Navy and Navies of the Napoleonic Wars, I will likely really start working on the ship names. I also had some fun with the privateer names, changed most of the name of the Dutch ships, and played with the names for the saloon.

Can anyone identify where or what book the following names came from? I will need to figure out how to get a prize to the best correct answers. Moderators, might you help me some there?

1. One-Eyed Wong's Wineshop

2. Number Ten Ox, Chinese Explorer

3. Admiral Benbow Inn

4. The Dirty Duck

5. What person is normally most associated with the Long Branch Saloon?

6. What class of warship would have these names in the Royal Navy?
Etna, Erebus, Terror, Stromboli, Vesuvius

7. What song did Rosa's Cantina appear in? Who sang it?

8. The Duchess, a privateer ship

9. The Centurion, Royal Navy sailing ship

10. The battle that involved the Serapis and the Countess of Scarborough?

11. The De Zeven Provincien was which admiral's flagship?

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
AuthorReplies:
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 05-11-09 02:02 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24       
can't people just google? o.O

QUACK
Ha_Luke
Sig Award Winner
posted 05-11-09 02:47 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
De Zeven ProvinciŽn was the flag ship of Michiel de Ruyter.

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
[TΣ]_Ha_Luke_331

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
-Voltaire
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. " - Plato
prowlers own
Skirmisher
posted 05-11-09 02:36 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24       
8. The Duchess, a privateer ship
W8 thats a movie with kneira knightley

GR account: Colonel Corrupt [£eg°Ýn]

prowlers own,
and you call yourself a human???
Just another liberal "name caller" cause you HAVE NO FACTS
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-11-09 03:30 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24       
lol yea i googled like the first five

didnt really feel up to doing them all or posting it..

iTech64
My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
My Mapguides: Northwest Territories
Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 05-11-09 04:07 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
CrazyLunatic, yes they could, but they would still have to make the effort, and in so doing, they might learn something. Not sure if a couple of them would be on google.

prowlers own: Wrong ship, since the Duchess I am referring to was an actual privateer.

iTech64: It is your loss for not posting then.

Incognoto
Skirmisher
posted 05-11-09 04:10 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24       
Looks like you're going to have to do it yourself. rofl
Ha_Luke
Sig Award Winner
posted 05-11-09 05:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24       
Looks like you're going to have to do it yourself. rofl
Uhm, I think he knows the answers already...

About Michiel de Ruyter, he was a great Dutch hero in the 17th century (also known as the golden age) because he won many important sea battles vs England and France. The most important ones were in the disaster year 1672 (I believe) where he made sure the French/English invasion troops couldn't land.

It's the only answer I know without using google or wiki, but I think I'm the only one with an answer so far, so do I get to win a price?

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
[TΣ]_Ha_Luke_331

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
-Voltaire
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. " - Plato

[This message has been edited by Ha_Luke (edited 05-11-2009 @ 05:30 PM).]

Dedonus
Skirmisher
posted 05-11-09 05:28 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24       
3. Admiral Benbow Inn
Treasure Island

Senatus Populusque Romanus (SPQR) - The Senate and the Roman people
"Veni vidi vici"- Julius Caesar- I came, I saw, I conquered
"Ego vos hortor ut amicitiam omnibus rebus humanis anteponatis." - Cicero - I urge you to set friendship before all other human affairs.
Incognoto
Skirmisher
posted 05-11-09 06:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24       
Shame, no doubt. Ah well, I must admit that rover must have a sickening amount of time on his hands to be rooting around data files
I was doing some editing in the protoy and techtreey xml files, and for a break, decided to take a look at the random names file. Since I have not been satisfied with most of the explorer names, I have started giving them names from either history or literature that I have read. However, being sort of a stickler is some respects for historical accuracy, I have not always been happy with the ship names either. That is the file that supplies all of the ship, explorer, explorer and war dog, war chief, saloon, and fort names.
I'm not saying you don't have a life mate, I'm just disgusted with all the time you have on your hands, compared to some people who really have to manage the 24 hours they have in a day.
ChrisTheMean
Skirmisher
posted 05-11-09 06:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24       
I'm not saying you don't have a life mate, I'm just disgusted with all the time you have on your hands, compared to some people who really have to manage the 24 hours they have in a day.
Jeez, yet some people manage to find time to follow people around these forums finding fault in everything they do. If you don't have anything productive to add please entertain yourself by another means.

Number Ten Ox was a character in a book I think, but the name escapes me ATM.

ESO:ChrisTheMean
N3O Clan Website
Of myChinese Confucian Confusion FF MarneusCalgar said, "It sounds like an 70's kung-fu movie." And it is.
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-11-09 06:44 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24       
Rosa's Cantina - it's in a Deep Purple cover of El Paso, dunno if that's what you're looking for. As for the rest, I'd have to google them which I think you would agree is cheatin'.

Off topic:
I would enjoy this game a lot more if you could write your own random ship names and saloon names and such. I mean, I think it's cute that we get Miskatonic scouts and Rlyeh Roadhouse, but it's more fun when you can personalize not just your explorer, but your naval fleet, your forts, and your drinking establishments as well.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
ChrisTheMean
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-09 00:52 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24       
Off topic:
I would enjoy this game a lot more if you could write your own random ship names and saloon names and such. I mean, I think it's cute that we get Miskatonic scouts and Rlyeh Roadhouse, but it's more fun when you can personalize not just your explorer, but your naval fleet, your forts, and your drinking establishments as well.
Sorry to continue this tangent Timerover, but I have to agree. Some of them are funny (Kissa's Snarf 'n Barf, wtf?), but I wonder; if you edited the names would it cause crc mismatch online, or could you just edit the xml and let it pick randomly from your own names? Anyone? Sorry I know its semi-OT and random...

ESO:ChrisTheMean
N3O Clan Website
Of myChinese Confucian Confusion FF MarneusCalgar said, "It sounds like an 70's kung-fu movie." And it is.
Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-09 01:10 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
Incognoto, I was retired from the US Army as a 1st Lieutenant for medical reasons in 1978, at the ripe old age of 26, as a consequence of my military service. As such, I have been unable to work anywhere near a full-time job due to physical reasons, among them 24-hour a day pain problems. My brain however, still works fine although my body no longer reliably does. I have pursued a wide range of my own interests, ranging from being a seminary student in an attempt to get a degree in Biblical Archaeology to working with companies in developing board and miniature war games to consulting for US government agencies in the area of weapon effects and bomb damage assessment, working for the US Marine Corps as a consultant during the 1991 Gulf War, teaching World Geography at the college level, working with the Center for Gifted at National Louis University in Skokie, and being part of the National Geographic expedition that located John F. Kennedy's PT-109. In there I have also buried my first son, and raised two more children to teenage years, with my second son going off to college this fall and my daughter a sophomore in high school presently.

I still would like to have a body that works properly, but I have learned to cope. I have to manage my day based on what my pain level is during the day, which is never predictable at all. I have good day, I have bad days, and then I have days that I really prefer to forget. But having spent 10 months waiting to find out if I would walk again, I am glad for every day that I can get up and walk and climb stairs, and drive a car, and function somewhat normally.

I had anticipated serving for 5 years in the military and then pursuing a graduate and possible doctorate degree in military history. I still may get the doctorate degree in military history.

Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-09 01:31 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24       
christhemean and As_Saffah, I do not know why you think that your questions are off topic when the topic is RANDOM NAMES FILE. Since I am assuming that you are both on Windows machines, open up the Age of Empire 3 folder, and locate the game resources file and then locate the data file. Look for the randomnamesy file if you have The Asian Dynasties expansion, randomnamesx file for The War Chiefs expansion, and simply randomnames file for the basic game. You can use whatever xml editor that you have, I believe that Microsoft Notebook can be used, or the current version of Microsoft Word. I am on Macintosh and use Adobe GoLive for my editing.

I have pretty much renamed all of the saloons with names of such establishments that appear in literature, history, exist presently, or simply sound good to me. I have been busy renaming the ships, using actual ship names of the period, along with renaming the forts with actual fort names of the period. I am a naval and military historian, among other things.

If you want to do that and still play online, you might have to make a duplicate of the randomnames xml file, and experiment a bit. I suspect that modifying the file might cause problems online, but you could try adding to it, keeping the original names to start with and see what happens. The safest thing to do is copy the original file to a flash drive, and then modify that. Store it in a folder labeled something like MyAofE3 Names, and then move the standard file out of the data file to something like AofE3 Clean Files, and then swap the files back and forth as you want.

If the modified file does cause problems, you have a couple of choices. One is, if you play with the same group online on a regular basis, try to see if they would mind putting the file in when you play each other. They might like the idea of personalizing the game as well. Just make sure that you keep the original file handy. The second choice is using it when you play against the computer, if you do that. Since I am on Macs, I cannot play on ESO, so I have no problems modifying files to my heart's and head's content.

Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-09 01:39 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
christhemean: You are correct that it comes from a book. Keep trying.

As_Saffah: El Paso is correct, just not the right group. Keep trying.

Ha_Luke: You are absolutely correct. Michiel de Ruyter is clearly one of the greatest admirals in naval history. Although being of Dutch ancestry does make me a little biased. My great-grandparents emigrated to the US in 1897 from the area of Groningen. I will need to check with the moderators for the best way to get you a prize. Do you have iTunes?

Dedonus: You are absolutely correct. The Admiral Benbow is the inn in the book Treasure Island, without a doubt the most popular book about pirates ever written. Again, I need to check with the moderators about a prize.

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 05-12-09 01:53 AM EDT (US)     16 / 24       
You are absolutely correct. Michiel de Ruyter is clearly one of the greatest admirals in naval history. Although being of Dutch ancestry does make me a little biased. My great-grandparents emigrated to the US in 1897 from the area of Groningen. I will need to check with the moderators for the best way to get you a prize. Do you have iTunes?
i believe ha_luke lives in netherlands o.O

QUACK
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-09 03:26 AM EDT (US)     17 / 24       
Shame, no doubt. Ah well, I must admit that rover must have a sickening amount of time on his hands to be rooting around data files

I dont like to act like a internet police but i think this is uncalled for, who gives you the right to judge how someone else spends their time, doing somethign they like?
Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-09 06:01 AM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
Well, if Incognoto would care to swap bodies, that is fine with me. A little bit of pain, actually more than a little bit of pain, might prove very enlightening to him/her. He/she would not have had to deal with it for 33 years however, nor spent over a year in hospitals, while the doctors tried, without success to the present day, to figure out exactly what is going on with my system. I am not sure if he/she would appreciate being written up in the medical journals as an extremely rare and odd case either.

I have the time to work on the game, but I have paid one very heavy price to do so.

Incognoto
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-09 03:00 PM EDT (US)     19 / 24       
Fair enough. I take back what I said, and by doing so I trust you're being honest. And I would mildly suggest looking into music, if you haven't done so already. I'm a "he" btw.
Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 05-12-09 04:15 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
Fair enough. I take back what I said, and by doing so I trust you're being honest. And I would mildly suggest looking into music, if you haven't done so already. I'm a "he" btw.
I accept your apology, and yes, I am being perfectly honest, while sparing everyone some of the gorier details. As for music, I have a major hearing loss in one ear, my right one, unfortunately, from a childhood accident, so that is not the easiest thing to take up at 57. Starting a second career as a teacher is proving interesting enough.

Incognoto
Skirmisher
posted 05-13-09 12:06 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24       
Ok. I still advise music anyway, even with one ear (:s) I think you could still enjoy it. You don't have to listen loudly, just loud enough to hear every instrument. Well this is my meagre suggestion, as music has to be my third love in this world (after my family and after flying).
bobtheboy
Skirmisher
posted 05-14-09 10:22 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
What happened to you?
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-14-09 10:47 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24       
has this gotten way off topic?
lol

iTech64
My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
My Mapguides: Northwest Territories
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 05-15-09 08:49 AM EDT (US)     24 / 24       
This thread is so offtopic it has jumped the tracks and careened into a novelty cake store OMG~~

OK, so random names file. Some ships we'd like to see

Brits ships
HMS Sinkytowne
Butterdish
Golden Cormorant

Port ships
the Elpea
the Man-o-War (fer crissake, come on guys, I knew about this in grade school)
the Anjo Walker

German ships
the Badewanne
the Pilsner
the Dunkel
the Doppelbock

French ships
the Escargot
the Terrine a Soupe
the Cuisinart

Dutch ships
the Droste
the Gouda
the Boerkaas

Sioux canoes
the Prairie Schooner
the Prairie Dog
the Mni Dota
the Chaan Tipi
the Siege Engine

Japanese ships
the Charizard Maru
the Blastoise Maru
the Snorlax Maru

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames