You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » AI was suppose to build walls
Bottom
Topic Subject:AI was suppose to build walls
RPG Gamer 17
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-09 03:14 PM EDT (US)         
The ai has the ability to build walls it's just 'commented' out. If you know anything about C++ you should know that two forward slashes(//) tells the computer to completely ingnore anything past that point of the line.

Here is a part from the file 'aiMain.xs':
if ( (aiRandInt(100) needToRoll) && (cvOkToBuildWalls == true) )
{
//aiEcho("Decided to do walls.");
//gBuildWalls = true;
//xsEnableRule("delayWalls"); // Start walls once we have housing room
}
I opened the file in notepad noticed the above.
Here is the location of the file on my vista:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\AI3

I have deleted the two slashes and discovered that they do build walls in skirmish and online if you are hosting the game.

The only problems that I've seemed to find is that they don't upgrade there walls. They build the walls too close to them and that they only build one layer of wall.

The ai builds buildings spread out so there isn't too much room for a wall anyways but it does make the game a little bit harder. They tend to repair the wall as soon as they can get a free settler on it.

I have only tested this on asian dynasties. If you want to try it on the other versions edit the file in the AI (AoE3), and/or AI2 (Warchiefs) folders.

I am trying to find how to make them smarter. I have made them build there walls a little further out but they still build buildings everywhere and only 1 unupgraded wall.
AuthorReplies:
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-09 03:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
maybe the AI would be mixed up and build them in the wrong place. in a 2d game its easy to programme the AI where to build, but a 3D game is not so easy.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
RPG Gamer 17
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-09 03:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
I've played several wall building games and recorded one. The AI doesn't have a problem with the walls being there. I see your point it is alot harder to 'build' something in 3D but ESO has made the computers to 'cope' with the buildings being there and navagate around them.
Basically, they build all there buildings then there walls.
BilboBeutlin
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 07:15 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
There are already several discussions about in scenario and modding forum. Search there for subject "wall".

AoE3 isn't a real 3D game. Merely the gfx is 3D. All else (programming) is a 3D->2D projection. That's also the reason why it isn't possible with the current engine to implement real working bridges, tunnels, etc.
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 07:27 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
i see. so a tunnel would merely be an image on the floor of the 2d map.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
Roderic
Skirmisher
posted 08-19-09 11:53 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
It is an interesting contrast compared to the fondness of AI in AoK for constructing walls -nothing surprising since it was the style of the age-. Much fun trying to get through the walls with rams.

Yesterday I played RoR and even that AI constructed a stone wall as a first line of defense.

Any idea of why that ability was sewed from the code? Is it an heritage of the AoM AI engine? Is it related to the map distribution of resoruces/treasures/bumpiness ?

And another thing:
They tend to repair the wall as soon as they can get a free settler on it.
Does not the wall repair itself as any other building?

[This message has been edited by Roderic (edited 08-19-2009 @ 11:56 PM).]

MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 08-20-09 00:47 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Yesterday I played RoR and even that AI constructed a stone wall as a first line of defense.

Any idea of why that ability was sewed from the code? Is it an heritage of the AoM AI engine? Is it related to the map distribution of resources/treasures/bumpiness ?
Three years ago I had the privilege to visit Ensemble Studios granted by Sandy Petersen.
One of the first questions I asked Sandy was why doesn’t the AI build walls in AOE3.

His answer was that it was too hard to make the AI build good surrounding walls around its base.
There were just too many obstacles around the map that prevented the AI from building walls in a proper way.
So they decided to drop this feature/ability.

By the way, the AI in AOM can build walls.
However, most of the time the walls are not complete and they have openings.
So the walls don’t really serve the purpose of closing the entrance to the AI’s base.
Roderic
Skirmisher
posted 08-20-09 02:49 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
I supposed something like that. I read a post talking about people complaining when dealing with a too defensive player, and that was a reason to not put too much effort in the wall development (for the dumb sea warfare I see no excuse at all).

I was terrible at building walls on RoR or AoK. I dismissed badly. Practically I made my strategy without them, excepting the campaigns. So I first didn't complain about the poor variation on walls. Now that I'm playing in harder difficulty modes and handicaps I feel I need them but I feel a cheater when using since the AI cannot.

By the way I can't believe that there is no code math theorem-based to surround growing structures with a protective cover in an efficient way. Perhaps I'm wrong and the world is waiting for me to develop it.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames