You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » What to expect once your order of TWC and TAD comes. Which to play first? What is new??
Bottom
Topic Subject:What to expect once your order of TWC and TAD comes. Which to play first? What is new??
White_Korean
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-09 04:25 PM EDT (US)         
Alright, so now, being vanilla player, i just ordered both TWC and TAD.
What should I be expecting, or what happening?
Should I play TWC first or TAD, should I play campaign?
IS it very very different?

what about technicalities?
If i wanted to play all 3 of them online, which disc I put on to play as all 3 during online?

Are there any GLARING differenecs? like the wonders or more cards, things like that?
Just wanting to know so I can prep up for my 2 little miracles shiipping over
AuthorReplies:
dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-09 04:28 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19       
Install TWC first, then TAD, and you'll be able to play them all with your TAD CD. But when you get online, make sure to check the "allow TWC civs and maps" option. The expansions will also give you new cards for the old vanilla civs like trickles, transformations, and upgrades, so be sure to check those out.
White_Korean
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-09 06:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19       
so, your TAD disc plays all TWC and vanilla? cool.

And what is the deal with spies?
Someone said they have 8 spies in enemy terriroty, but i thought you buy them at imperial age??
dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-09 06:03 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19       
Yes, but you must install in the right order. TWC, then TAD. Spies are a new unit introduced in TWC that has a huge bonus vs mercs and explorer and can use stealth (a new ability which allows them to go undetected). However they are very weak against normal units and not widely used at all.
White_Korean
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-09 06:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19       
ok alright sweet
cant wait till they come in the mail :D
although i only get 2-3 days with them before school starts >:O OMG
Conquerer_MAG
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-09 06:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 19       
Spies are actually fairly decent, as long as you know how to use them. Usually I'll make like 3-4 in age 3 during the lull after I have boomed onto the map (I'm always Dutch) and put them in front of the enemy's base, just out of range of any forts/outposts that they might have. That way I know how far forward I can push with my army before I'm in their range, effectively boxing them in. They're effectively useless when vs. ports though, because they will turtle, or if any player makes lots of outposts, as outposts take your spies out of stealth.

I'd say play Dutch with tad/twc on GR, since with the fanpatch 2.0, dutch are simply OP. If you play on ESO (I don't know how, since you've said before you have a mac, but you've hinted at having ESO), I really don't know, Japs are pretty OP, no matter how many patches you throw at them, so if you wanna win a bunch, play japs.

GR acc name: Ultraviolet [egn]
'hey l0bst0r3r!! r u j3w!sH ?? c@n U t3LL m3 wH3r3 t0 g3t s0m3 k0sH0r r3c!p3s?
i l!k3 k0sh0r f00d th3r3's a j00ish r3st4ur4nt 4r0uNd t3h c0rn0r but it's s0 3xp3ns!v3'
-l33th4x0r
Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-09 10:18 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19       
That's 600 - 800 gold wasted, though. Why not get 200 wood and make a couple extra cannons with that?

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
Conquerer_MAG
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 01:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 19       
Usually you're right, and I'm not saying I use them often, but if you have the advantage, sometimes that extra knowledge of exactly where your opponent's units are can let you position yours in a way that lets you totally obliterate his army. But in most situations, you're absolutely right, falcs or ruyters are better, I was just trying to point out that spies aren't completely useless.

i l!k3 k0sh0r f00d th3r3's a j00ish r3st4ur4nt 4r0uNd t3h c0rn0r but it's s0 3xp3ns!v3'
-l33th4x0r
ImperialLobster
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 05:13 AM EDT (US)     8 / 19       
spies are flipping amazing if you use them right. Some crazy guy with skilz was just killing my explorer wherever he went. Made me lose it did.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 08:31 AM EDT (US)     9 / 19       
Since when did outposts detect stealth?
Since when were explorers that useful at all in colonial?
Conquerer_MAG
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 10:34 AM EDT (US)     10 / 19       
Well, for the current mac patch plus fanpatch 2.0 (someone modded it for mac), outposts detect stealth. And I'm not sure what you mean by 'since when is having an explorer in colonia useful,' since the answer is always and I'm not sure how that relates to spies...

-l33th4x0r
DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 11:59 AM EDT (US)     11 / 19       
Master me
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 12:12 PM EDT (US)     12 / 19       
I actually saw a strat a while back for otto's using upgraded spies(assassins) vs dutch. Worked like a charm, and never lost to a dutchman using that strategy. They had the speed of hussars, only cost 1 resource, extremely quick to train, beats the living daylights out of skirms, no one expects it and most of all had a siege of about 35. This was a while back though it may have changed since then.
Conquerer_MAG
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 12:17 PM EDT (US)     13 / 19       
Ah yes, okay I watched the rec where I thought an outpost discovered my spies, but there was a TC behind the outpost. Also, I think forts discover spies, not sure though.

-l33th4x0r

[This message has been edited by Conquerer_Mag (edited 08-17-2009 @ 12:19 PM).]

Emperor_Kyle
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 12:18 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19       
Agents used to the most OP unit a while ago, but I'm not sure about assassins.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
Master me
Skirmisher
posted 08-17-09 01:18 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19       
Assassins im sure of it were extremely OP vs Dutch. Perhaps it might still work now, as long as they havent nerfed the assassins card ill try the strat when I get back home.
dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-09 08:27 AM EDT (US)     16 / 19       
Well couple of reasons assassins would never work because they are only available in age 3 and have like 10 hand attack :P
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-09 09:41 AM EDT (US)     17 / 19       
maps are different too, some of them being
TWC: California, Ozarks, Plymouth, Andes, Painted Desert, Northwest territories.
TAD: Mongolia, Silk Road, Himalayas, Deccan, Indochina, Borneo, Siberia.

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-09 10:09 AM EDT (US)     18 / 19       
also upgrade cards are now 15%, instead of 10%
Master me
Skirmisher
posted 08-18-09 11:26 AM EDT (US)     19 / 19       
Ive found the strat, it was made by voodoo boss quite a while ago http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=244425.They probably nerfed the assassin card if they only have 10 hand attack, so its no use now I guess. =S
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames