You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Trying to find a main civ
Bottom
Topic Subject:Trying to find a main civ
newworldorbust
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 04:17 PM EDT (US)         
For the past few weeks I've been experimenting with a all of the civs and I just cant decide wich civ to focus on. If anyone could give me any suggestions I will gladly take it.

I want a civ that:
-Has a wide variety of units
-Fairly addaptable
-Quantity>Quallity (To an extent)
-It would be nice if their home city looked badass but it is not required.
(Please note I have The War Chiefs and Asian Dynasties.)

Thanks
AuthorReplies:
Conqueror_MAG
Banned
posted 01-24-10 04:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
Well the obvious answer is France, since they meet all of those qualifications (except perhaps quantity>quality), and they are a civ that gives you a very good feel for the game; i learned the game with dutch, that is, i played dutch exclusively for about 200 games 1v1, and i got really really good as them, but then when i tried to switch to another civ i just couldnt, because they were all so different from dutch. france teaches you the basics of the game very well, so it makes a good first 'main civ.'

on the other hand, russia satisfies most of those too, although their unit variety in age 2 is somewhat lacking. however, i find that russia is for people who like being very aggressive, and it teaches you to rush, not necessarily just play the game.

however, whichever you choose, you need to stick with it; dont play 20 games, decide they arent the civ for you, then try another one. i played about 40 games with dutch before i started figuring them out.

hth
newworldorbust
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 04:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
Ok mabye WIDE was the wrong term, I just didnt want somthing like the Ottomans.
Conqueror_MAG
Banned
posted 01-24-10 04:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
ottos have a fine variety actually, what they lose in an xbow type unit they gain by having abus, and their age 3 is phenomenal imo.

however, ottos are lower tier on the FP, so i wouldnt go with them. plus, like the dutch, they are very different from most other civs.
No_nickname
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 04:57 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
Russia and China might be good choices. They hav a wide unit variety (especially china), and I think they are quite adaptabele. Also the Russian HC is really badass

And you dont get more quantity > quality than russia and china.

Check out my YouTube channel for AoEO videos!
ESO2: No_nickname | AoEO: NoNick331
"anything less than 40 hours is nub men, me i go for like 76 hours the best as i can get to imp in 14 mins then go on holiday for 2 days then come back and make some mil or w/e" - bloodoats

[This message has been edited by No_nickname (edited 01-24-2010 @ 06:15 PM).]

Bart331
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 06:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
ur description is obviously saying china

-wide variety of units CHECK
-Fairly addaptable CHECK
-Quantity>Quallity (To an extent) CHECK
-It would be nice if their home city looked badass but it is not required. CHECK

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

Battle.net:Bart (227)
ESO:Bart331
dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 06:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
don't play china pls, china is noob lame civ
Bart331
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-10 05:11 AM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
thats true unfortunately

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-10 09:48 AM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
Or you can play india, which they get both variety, quantity, and quality cuz they are lame. Agra rush to karna mata. Or lame zamb/gurka, or go sepoy/sowar, or pure sepoys, or gurka/rajput. As india you start with everything, ranged HI, HI/light inf, ranged cav, cav, and a skirm type, and pwnage monks that heal !!!!. Cant ask for more variety than that.

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
Overshield
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-10 11:19 AM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
I'd go India or France for a wide variety of units, but I think Japanese are the most fun to play when starting out since they have great wonders and some very strong units. Plus, Japs fulfill the quantity>quality requirement since you can just pump out mass Ashi and/or Yabs.
No_nickname
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-10 11:47 AM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
Japs are quantity AND quality

Check out my YouTube channel for AoEO videos!
ESO2: No_nickname | AoEO: NoNick331
"anything less than 40 hours is nub men, me i go for like 76 hours the best as i can get to imp in 14 mins then go on holiday for 2 days then come back and make some mil or w/e" - bloodoats
Fuzzy044
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-10 04:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
Doesn't china lose to say, a fast rush?

If not how would you counter strong rushes? like say 10/10?

ESO: Fuzzy044
YOU ARE SMALL!!!

1X1 is nice
Bart331
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-10 06:41 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
china can age really quick if they send 300 f as first card. Asian civs got better mm then euro civs, and china has very decent colonial unit shipments.

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-25-10 08:43 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
Doesn't china lose to say, a fast rush?

If not how would you counter strong rushes? like say 10/10?
as bart said 300 food can put back a 10/10 rush or even a iroquois rush if you play well and defensively. The 8 CkN shipment will put back the sepoys/tomahawks. However iroquois especially are very problematic as aenna do quite well vs CKN and the iro age 2 cannon pwns china

Against India I am trying to formulate a different strat but have yet to try it out xD

QUACK
CookieCrisp13
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-10 09:42 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
Newworld, I immediately thought French as well.

Their units can be quantity>quality (musketeers and xbows)

but they have the quality and economy to produce the best in the game (Cuiriassuars sp).

If you're looking for a very adaptable civ, french should be your base, as they are great for beginners in teaching the counters, because the French have all of them!

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
Fuzzy044
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-10 10:40 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
How many villagers would you age up with if you did 300 food?

YOU ARE SMALL!!!

1X1 is nice
Conqueror_MAG
Banned
posted 01-25-10 11:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
Cuiriassuars
cookiecrisp you just had a ditissparta moment
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-26-10 00:37 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
How many villagers would you age up with if you did 300 food?
with asian civs you rarely pick a # of vills to age up with unless doing 10/10 or something. With asians always age up when you have 800 food(or very close to that) which is of course going to be very varying depending on treasures and starting crates.

QUACK
Fuzzy044
Skirmisher
posted 01-26-10 03:53 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
okay, what about vill distri for colonial/transi? what should i be aiming for?

YOU ARE SMALL!!!

1X1 is nice
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-26-10 04:27 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
Normally around 16-17, but make sure not to queue that many, cuz that can go towards aging. If you have 16 vils with 2 queued , but with 700 food, unqueue that vil and age. Your ageup time will be around 4:45-5:10

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-26-10 04:51 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
okay, what about vill distri for colonial/transi? what should i be aiming for?
If doing northern refugees age up aim to get 100 wood for market +wood upgrade and then have 200+ wood immediately upon age up for barracks+ old han army (gather age up food).
That would probably be ~ 9 vills on wood or so give or take depending on treasures. You can always adjust on wood/food if you overshoot or put too few

If doing 300 food age up aim to have ~300 wood or so upon aging so you can build a barracks and have the 170 wood after the rax is ready for old han army.

QUACK
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames