You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Mills/Plantation vs hunting/mining
Bottom
Topic Subject:Mills/Plantation vs hunting/mining
jollyranchers
Skirmisher
posted 02-12-10 10:19 AM EDT (US)         
I know at the start it is much better to hunt and mine, but when should I switch over to mills/plantations? I have a hunch that in later game (maybe around age 4), you have enough resources to build mills/plantations and upgrade them and they will gather faster with all upgrades. Is this correct? Anyone know how much faster? Also makes tracking idle vils much easier.

Or do you guys just hunt and mine until the end even in age 5?
AuthorReplies:
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-12-10 11:06 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Depends on how much map control you have, how well protected the remaining hunts/mines are, whether you're playing Euro civ or not, actually a lot of things.

You have to make a judgment call when you think hunts and mines are running out/too far/too risky for your current map control status.

If you're turtling or being rushed, obviously you switch sooner. If you are already pretty much in control of the map, you build a fwd tower and gather abroad.

It takes two Plantation upgrades and one Farm upgrade to bring the gather rates to the same level as the market upgraded gather rates for coin and hunts, respective.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 02-12-10 12:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
it's really very map dependent. Stay on hunts/mines as long as it is safe. You are better off making mills/plantations than sending villagers to an unprotected mine half way across the map

QUACK
knightwolfx
Skirmisher
posted 02-12-10 12:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
The close hunts will usually last you until Fortress Age so don't lose them. I always start making mills at Fortress even if there is a hunt on my side of the map. In Fortress age there's a lot of things that require your attention so you really don't want another thing to focus on so its better put them on mills. I usually try to mine all the gold first and only make plantations once the map runs out. I usually start making plantations once I have everything upgraded and close to advancing to the Industrial age.

Not all games are the same and you might have only one gold mine or only the starting hunts so you will need to play aggressive to secure the hunts/mines.
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 02-12-10 11:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Welcome back jolly

And if you have map control most people don't even have the time to check those far off mines/hunts. If you have map and military advantage, go ahead most people will leave you unharmed. Worst case you can outpost, or better yet, land grab

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
jollyranchers
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-10 00:40 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Thanks Mario. Have we played before?

I play only expert comp stomp now (vanilla). I kind of like mills and plantations mostly because idle vils gives me a HEADACHE. I hate idle vils so much but I can't seem to ever get rid of the problem. Every time I look down there are idle vils coz some hunt or trees or mine ran out. I do shift click on multiple mines now so that's helped.

If any of you are interested in comp stomping with me gimme your game name and I'll add you.
Archae1
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-10 04:21 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
well if you're playing comps then you should be fine since they don't go around looking for villies unless they're in the path of your base
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 02-13-10 10:56 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Nahh havent played you. But i'd like to, cept I lost my nilla.

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames