You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.51 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The more I play AoM the more I think about what it COULD have been.
Bottom
Topic Subject:The more I play AoM the more I think about what it COULD have been.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
BlumenKohl
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 04:53 PM EDT (US)         
Well, unlike AoE AoK which over time grew on me quickly as I played it more. AoM is growing off me the more I play it.

After I played a little game, I sat there in deep thought thinking of what AoM could have been. And I don't intend to sit there and force myself to pretend I like the game...

The more I play it, the more clear I can see the soul of the game. The shell is different, but deep down it is, nothing more than AoK with new eye candy, and absolutely nothing new to the RTS world.

I mean, try to give one gameplay feature that's not been done before in an RTS game.

Look at the games' title and just imagine the possibilities and new cool features that could have been implemented into the game, taking a leap forward, instead of being a sitting duck.

Different and varied cultures. Awessome!

I doubt I'll be purchasing the expansion (though it's becoming clear that Microsoft isn't gonna call for one, if AoM doesn't make good sales)

The Genetically Enhanced Cauliflower
Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
Click Here to visit my website.

AuthorReplies:
Orange County
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 05:03 PM EDT (US)     1 / 51       
Dont play it then.

Frankly, I dont care - I love it, and so do many others.

Specs: AMD64 3200+, 1GB RAM, Nvidia 6600GT, 400GB HD

Feel the power!

Ferrari_Warrior
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 05:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 51       
gee..

Age of Empires

Age of Kings

Age of Mythology

I'd go out and sue Ensemble if I were you....those bustards delivered a game that is similar in nature to the other games in the same series?

What's next? George Lucas putting a Skywalker character in Episode 3?

EvilNed
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 05:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 51       
Its not as addictive as WarCraft 3 was...erhm... IS... Actually, its one of the least "better" games I have purchased all year.

The game is good, yes, but the fact that you can't play online is a biiiig drawback. (see my "How foolish I was" thread for this), and a pretty damn boring campaign which doesnt really seem to lead anywhere, with boring missions and such.

With a better campaign and better online capabities, this game would have been alot more fun to play. But now it isn't, and I'm going back to WarCraft 3 as soon as my friend returns it to me.

BlumenKohl
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 05:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 51       
What you fail to see is that while AoK did keep the basic ideals of AoE, it was a completely different game, it had newer cooler features, unique units, etc.

AoM is just AoK mixed with a tweaked up Blizzard magical game.

Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

CC_Straight_Og
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 05:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 51       

Quote:

The more I play it, the more clear I can see the soul of the game. The shell is different, but deep down it is, nothing more than AoK with new eye candy, and absolutely nothing new to the RTS world.

The more I played War3 the more I wished they didn't try to reinvent RTS. They basically made SC, but "enhanced" the game by adding RPG elements. I kinda like games that stick with what works.
Having said that I think AoM has made some leaps forward for the RTS genre. My favourite is...

Refining your civ during the game. Choosing minor gods allows a good player to respond to his opponents actions in a new way. You choose the bonuses of one minor god knowing that you're (permantly) giving up the bonuses of another. This was pretty innovative, IMHO.

Quote:

though it's becoming clear that Microsoft isn't gonna call for one, if AoM doesn't make good sales

The x-pac is already under development. It likely started the day AoM went gold and AoM has probably sold enough copies already to justify an x-pac. Keep in mind that expansions are relatively cheap to produce.

BlumenKohl
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 05:42 PM EDT (US)     6 / 51       
WC3 is nothing new either. AoM is better than WC3. AOM's a good game...but it's nothing more than that, it's not the height of AoK, and that's my main problem with this game. ES always took us a step higher in the past...and then, AoM is out and it is barely a crawl up the ladder.

It's one of those games that gets knocked off my HD when a newer game is out. (Such was not the case with AoK...I played it always from 1999 to early 2002, while playing many others)

EvilNed
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 05:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 51       
AoM isn't better than Wc3! I'd pick Wc3 over AoM anyday!

But none of the games are "better" than the other!

And the Worst Internet Service Award of the century goes to... you guessed it! ESO!!
Veni_Vidi_Vici
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 05:50 PM EDT (US)     8 / 51       
if you dont like it.....dont play it
the aom community wont miss you...so leave and go play that stupid cartoon wc3.
BlumenKohl
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 05:51 PM EDT (US)     9 / 51       
/\
They won't miss Ned.

But they'll miss me.

StrongBowDX
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 06:09 PM EDT (US)     10 / 51       
My initial reaction to AoM was blah, yuck, and hmmm. As all the reviews have stated, it's a 3-D AoK w/ new units. Does that mean it's bad? No. While it lacks innovation like Dune II and StarCraft, it sticks to the succesful, but banal formula, and succeeds. When you look at the past year all you have is AoM and WC3. Battle Realms, Sudden Strike 2, and Total War did okay, but were not spectacular from what I saw.

Remember though, if ES does to AoM what TC did to AoK, then we should have a kickarse xpac coming in late spring/summer(?) time.

'Sides, what else is there to do to RTS? Blizz had to go RPG/RTS for something new, plus they've done nothing with SC2, and SC:Ghost is a console only game. Wtf are they thinking? It's disgusting...

~sbdx

RM
Hades -> Ares -> Aphrodite -> Artemis
DM
Zeus -> Athena -> Apollo -> Hera
thewesson
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 06:26 PM EDT (US)     11 / 51       

I don't get it, it's much more of a leap than AoK compared to AoE.

Everything around the gods is new (heroes, myth units, god powers, favor).

And there's a huge gameplay change - limited settlements, which define strategic points and also control max pop.

And also the gameplay change of weak defenses ...

And three civs with very different flavors (not just vanilla vs French-vanilla.) The AoK civs were about as different as Hades compared to Poseidon, in my opinion.

Perhaps the writer is just kind of burned out on this genre.

thewesson

Lkysammy
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 06:40 PM EDT (US)     12 / 51       
When I first played AoM I almost took it back. It just didnt seem new. It seemed like a step DOWN from aok. It looked like EOE or whatever that game is. But now that I have played it alot it is my favorite game of all time. It takes a while to really get to like it. But it was well worth it IMO. But if you dont like it then I dont mind. Just go buy a game you DO like.
BlumenKohl
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 06:46 PM EDT (US)     13 / 51       
I do like it. But it's just that....welll read the thread title.

Triped
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 06:52 PM EDT (US)     14 / 51       
Blizzard's blind focus on a balanced multi-player sucked the soul out of Warcraft III. There's no spark, there's no magic, there's no panache.
slayerman
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 06:56 PM EDT (US)     15 / 51       
I like it the way it is, I didn't really want it to change...its just fine like this
hades27
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-02 08:39 PM EDT (US)     16 / 51       
people has their own opinions. Like for me, WCiii is left in the dust compared to AoM whose CD ROM is in my CD DRIVE everyday 24/7

WCiii is rubbish compared to AoM (RTS Wise)

AoM is such a fun game. With all these different types of units and civ's can really work up many strats. And AoM does not have 2 resourse like in WCiii (LOL ;p) AoM has 4 MEANINGFUL resources unlike Wood in WCiii which you almost never need.

I have never had so much fun with Real Time Strategy!!

The only complaint i have is that egyptians are way too cheap and powerful

- BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS!!
ESO: IamHades27

Winner of the least favorite forumer AoMH's award 2002!!
simwiz2
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 00:33 AM EDT (US)     17 / 51       
Hades, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Just because you got rook-bashed by some expert who played Egypt does not mean that Egypt is overpowered. As has been stated many times before (I believe on that thread you made about the egyptian civ being overpowered)Egypt's strong good econ and free bonuses are balanced by weaker units, upgrading each unit separately, and a gold-dependant economy that is VERY easy to disrupt. I even had a game once where someone did a 4:30 classical and forward built on the gold mines, denying me of gold. Losing access to gold mines severely messes up an egyptian player's economy and military unit production.

For me, Egypt is the civ that I can play AoM the best with. I occasionally play greek as well, but I would never even try playing MP games with Norse. Does this mean that Egypt is overpowered and Norse is underpowered? No! I know someone who plays almost exclusively Norse, and who hates Egypt's weak military, many upgrades, slow build time, and separate siege works. The fact that many people (including most of the top players) play different civs than each other shows that ES did a very good job balancing the civs. At the very least they did a much better job than in AoK/AoC, where most of the top players played a total of 3-4 of the civs.

Fallen_Angle
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 03:44 AM EDT (US)     18 / 51       
simwiz2, im afraid it is you who do not know what you are talking about.

ES has stated that Ra is too powerfull. First all Egyptians got free towerupgrade, protecting the towers, with buildings like houses and temples, makes a good cheap wall, then Ra priets can empower, giving him a economical advantage, then that 300% rainboost can rocketpropell him to a wery early Heroic age, some gets there in 6:30.

What really is too overpowerd is the cav merc. He doesn't suffer any attackbonus v cavelery, thus making him a powerhouse of destruction, specially because of high attack, armor, and good HP. Having a SoO empowering your market can help you with a comeback if you should have been unlucky.

[This message has been edited by Fallen_Angle (edited 12-15-2002 @ 03:48 AM).]

Seqenenre Tao
posted 12-15-02 04:16 AM EDT (US)     19 / 51       
Another thing about those two games:

AOM is taken directly from ancient Mythology and combined with ancient History.

WC3 is nothing more than a hijacking of The Lord of the Rings. The only race missing there are Hobbits.

~}Kataastaas, Kagalang-galang ng Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan{~
(The High, Honorable Society of the Sons of the People)
Mabuhay ang Maharlika!

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/wellletsseehere.jpg
RELIC2000
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 05:18 AM EDT (US)     20 / 51       
LMAO another topic turned to war3 bashing. You should really stop dissing a game that has 10x fanbase AOM has and 10x superior multiplayer {no don't give me 'ESO is new' crap, I am a consumer and I want quality which eso doesn't have)
redstarz1
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 05:27 AM EDT (US)     21 / 51       
I know how youll like the game !!!! You need to download the sound modification, trust me bro ,I hated this game the first day I bought it because I found it boring due to poor sounds, now I love it so much because the sound mod brought a total new experience for me because the units yell in battle and stuff. the thread is in here somewhere just read it and download the sound modification. It gives the game a real big boost . just try it out you got nothin to lose since your not enjoying it rite now .
Kaziglu Bey
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 08:23 AM EDT (US)     22 / 51       
It's seems to me that you are just tired of the classic RTS genre. That's not something a game can change even if it's the best of its genre. Play some other genre of games for a while. It just happens sometimes. Personally I'm so tired of 3D-shooters that I don't even feel like looking at a leaked alpha of Doom 3. Still might be a great game but nowadays I only play that genre on LAN-parties when my friends want a beating.
Darkest_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 08:27 AM EDT (US)     23 / 51       
Minor Gods-The choice of minor gods DURING the game means you can never know what exactly your oppenent is thinking, and i definatly adds strategic depth to AoM. No other gaame I can think of has this extra strategic choice.

AoK was a great game, but it did not exactly have that much deversity between civs (some, but not a lot)-AoM has huge diversity between civs.

Give ES time and ESO will become better. Also, once AoM is realesed worlwide (or if it already is, once it has time to sell) they will be greater amounts of players on ESO. I can usually get a quick start game going in 1 minute or less with only 800-1000 players on.

Give it time. When I first played AoM, I was kinda dissapointed. Also, try not playing zoomed all the way out. I have a habit of doing this, all while it gives you better tatical view, its really cool player halfway zoomed in.

And, if your looking for a innoative RTS, check out BattleRealms. I have over 60 games, and BR I would chose as the most inovative to the RTS genre. You can get BR with the exapansion pack for just $30.

EvilNed
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 08:38 AM EDT (US)     24 / 51       
lol its quite fun to watch these arguments...

Over at PlanetWarcraft

"Dude, I returned AoM the day I got it! It was like an exact copy of AoK, but with better graphics! Plus there is no strategy in the damn game! Thank god for Wc3!"

over at Age of Mythology Heaven:

"Dude, I returned Wc3 the day I got it! It was like so unbalanced in MP and everyone is just massing! No strategy! Thank god for AoM!"

And the Worst Internet Service Award of the century goes to... you guessed it! ESO!!
EE Talon
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-02 09:17 AM EDT (US)     25 / 51       
I shoudn't even bother replying to this...

There are tons of new features. God powers. Myth units. All units being unique units to their culture. A huge campaign.

I think the closest thing to AoK is that the Greeks get a Granary, and they have a Fortress in Heroic. Almost everything else is different.

And sales have been great. The only games that AoM hasn't beaten have been "cult" games, like Harry Potter, and games that everyone from 3 year olds to 80 year olds play, like The Sims.

Talanos | AoM + AoE3H's former Unofficial Angel
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
FPH MSNIT talon@transalt.com
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames