You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » An idea for a future ES game!
Bottom
Topic Subject:An idea for a future ES game!
deadlydentures
Skirmisher
posted 12-16-02 11:41 PM EDT (US)         
I was thinking about how alot of people play AoM and like to build there empires big, and large. More of like a city building thing. I admit, i often like todo this but of course its not how you win. Then i was thinking about Sim City, and how thats a city builders game, but what if you made it into a hard core RTS game? For instance, you have city in america, and you try to build it up and destroy the other guys city. But there are inherently several problems with this. So i said to myself, "Can't we get away from the same o same o?" I mean, alot of the reviewers complained that it was the same bit everytime, build up your empire and attack.

So i decided that ES should abandon its "Age" series and in fact possibly its historical series. My idea eventually evolved into this.

Turf Wars, or some name like that. The "random map" you start in is actually a huge metropolis. All players start as premature gangs that are really small. You build your gang up, get lots of reputation, and try to take over the whole city, at the same time taking out the other gang.

Getting more in depth with this idea, i went ahead and created this.

Civilizations
Here is where i believe ES should just drop the whole historical idea. I think ES and just other RTS makers have used and taken every possible historical thing that could be done. Lets make some stuff up, but not get into the space crap, but not abandon all truth.

Make up some gangs, make them unique. Give them specialties. Some gangs are better with drug trades than others. Some are better with killing, some better with bribing cops. You get the idea.

This idea would open a huge window for ES to make a completely different game. All it needs is some creativity, without ES losing its past experience in balancing and graphics and design.

Besides, the very theme would make the game a hit.

Resources
"Cash" - probably a equivilent to gold. Most everything will cost Money. It can be made lots of ways.

rep (reputation) - Probably the equivilent of Favor in AoM. You can gain Rep in a number of limited ways. Rep will probably be an important "resources", but of course you can't possibly make it on all rep, without other resources and military might to back you up. I imagine Rep will be used to expand your control of the city, buy out cops, and get better prices with drugs. Remember Rep is a resources, so you use it to buy "techs" or control.

GAMEPLAY:
Start small, exploit small area businesses to gain in power, Rep and Cash. You'll need your rep to expand you gang and to make it more popular to join. You'll need cash to buy weapons and other things. There will be "ages" Once you have gotten enough Rep, your Gang will be upgraded into a Mob, or something like that. When you "Age", new abilites and guns will be open to you.

MILITARY:
Early on, dudes with small pistols can fight. You'll need them to raid the small businesses. You can always Raid an enemy Gang (the other player) to gain lots of Rep and Cash.
Around 2nd Age you can get large weapons, perhaps some nice gang cars. 3rd age you can have copters, have lots of abilites, Grenade launchers, well trained dudes ect.

This is just the first thought, Please contribut to this idea!!

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
AuthorReplies:
bencelot
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-02 00:06 AM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Not much to do with AoM, but I reackon that it could be a really fun idea!

I greatly enjoy the idea of making a working 'civilisation' as oppossed to just attacking someone early on. And having small buisnesses as a 3rd party is good too. Bit like all the random dragons and stuff in WC3.

It's like half AoE, half GTA2! Sound so cool!

~Ben

DarkKnight_
Skirmisher
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 12-17-02 03:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
I like it!

I'll add some ideas soon

DK
deadlydentures
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-02 04:25 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
whats important is that it needs to be kept a solid 100% RTS. Otherwise it starts to become GTA. It takes a large step away from RPG as well. You are basically the head huncho of the gang, and you move your "troops" about and increase your turf. You want to become the dominate gang in town.

[This message has been edited by deadlydentures (edited 12-17-2002 @ 04:26 PM).]

Orange County
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-02 04:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Nice idea but I don't think it best suits an RTS game.

Specs: AMD64 3200+, 1GB RAM, Nvidia 6600GT, 400GB HD

Feel the power!

[This message has been edited by Orange County (edited 12-17-2002 @ 04:29 PM).]

Colovion
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-02 05:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
so kind of like "Gangsters"?
deadlydentures
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-02 06:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       

Quote:

so kind of like "Gangsters"?

Never heard of anything called Gangsters.

It will be somewhat similar to AoE style, but instead of a random map, it will be a random metropolis, and stuff like that.

Orange County
Skirmisher
posted 12-17-02 06:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Nah.

I wouldnt buy it. I prefer "re-writing history (mythology)"

Specs: AMD64 3200+, 1GB RAM, Nvidia 6600GT, 400GB HD

Feel the power!

Nobull
Skirmisher
posted 12-18-02 01:56 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
sounds interesting!

how will buildings work?

Colovion
Skirmisher
posted 12-18-02 03:26 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
check out this site and you can see how much stuff has already been implemented into their game that you used - there's a Gangsters 1 and a Gangsters 2.
http://dir.yahoo.com/Recreation/Games/Computer_Games/Titles/Strategy/Real_Tim e/Gangsters_Series/
deadlydentures
Skirmisher
posted 12-18-02 10:59 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
dang, that is closely related to gangsters, although there are several differences, it makes my idea less appealing
bastard

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames