You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Time to flex our muscles...
posted 10-21-05 09:09 PM EDT (US)   
I got AoE3 just yesterday, and I LOVE everything about it. Anyway, as you may or may not know, I am working on a scen about survival in the new world. This thread is what I started for the newest of my findings while building my first scenario!

-10/21
I played around a bit before actually building the map of my scenario. The river tool is great! What I like best is placing things like river rocks (I think there is an object called PROP River Rocks) and other objects located in the All, Embellishment, and Nature sections that can be placed in the river. And, what's more, the current splashed against them! I found that so amazing.

Forests are fun too, but sometimes I get stinky results. I still find it easier to do the old fashioned way, but for AoE3, doing a tiny grove of trees this way will take me my whole hour of time on the computer!

Buildings can be stacked, which I found to my relief. However, most buildings look good on their own in villages and natural environments; I recommend stacking only for cities.

Well, time to start building my scenario! Coastlines can be improved greatly if you add coves made of a horseshoe of cliffs at around 5-6 height. The mud trail object, specifically the one where it is a miniature cul-de-sac, can make a good "explosion area". I put a sunken ship down on the coastline, then placed the mud-trail-end and it looked like the ship had been vaulted agaist the sandy coast, kicking up blocks of sediment.

Forests take a really long time. Initially I just put a giant spread of great lakes forest, but it came out to thin, and with the lag and stuff I have on my computer, it would take a while to build to full potential a nice forest.

Swamps are easy to make now with the addition of flowing water and certain objects. Just make a small river lead into a pond made with the paint water tool, and place shallows objects (The kind that looks like small golden grass). Then, add trees and all kinds og other underbrush and you have a nice looking swamp!

I still haven't touched the lighting and haven't looked into all the tools at great extent. I still have the habit of clicking the mouse wheel when done with a tool; now I have to go all the way to the corner of the keyboard to press escape.

10/22
More of the same. I found that to place nuggets you need to use the nugget tool in the objects drop-down, otherwise when placing the treasure it is randomized.

Sometimes you get better results if you do not use the mixes.

Forests are still annoying me a little, but I find it bearable if I just build my forest with the objects tool instead of the forest tool.

-=*Put this in your sig if you or a friend has survived or was killed in a Pokemon battle.*=-
-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
-=Join the Effort! Community Campaign!=-
-=Email me at: att.151(at)gmail(dot)com=-
-=My AoM:TT Tag=-

[This message has been edited by ATTEcLiPsE1 (edited 10-22-2005 @ 12:12 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-21-05 09:49 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
cool, nice review, now get designing lol
posted 10-22-05 12:13 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
Updated my post...I hope some people are finding this somewhat useful 'cause otherwise I'll just stop.

-=*Put this in your sig if you or a friend has survived or was killed in a Pokemon battle.*=-
-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
posted 10-22-05 12:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
it would be helpfull if today was the 4th November!

(¯`·.`•.¸¸.•°°•.¸¸.•`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`•.¸¸.••.¸¸.•`.·´¯)
posted 10-22-05 01:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
Ehm...Bah.

Well, I'll just do one more editing for tomorrow.

-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
posted 10-23-05 02:31 AM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
cool, pity about forests, you can still place trees in the object window cant you, that may be quicker for blending.
posted 10-23-05 05:59 AM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
IMO it doesn't take so long to make forests. If you don't want to use the Forest -tool, then just do following; first, make some elevation stuff, then put the trees, and finally finish the forest with underbrush and terrain mix.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 10-23-05 09:55 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
That's what I'm doing, its just that my whole map is supposed to be one big hugely detailed forest. Then again, I may change it at random.

-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
posted 10-23-05 10:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
Keep up the good work.

posted 10-24-05 00:43 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
*laughs at name of thread*

Keep it going buddy

Latino Heat III

Please login or register
Hop to: