Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.44 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Editor Bugs / Complaints
Bottom
Topic Subject:Editor Bugs / Complaints
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Windmere
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 02:42 PM EDT (US)         
Just thought it would be good to compile a list of bugs, to save others the frustration that might occur when they encounter them. If you know a way around any of these bugs, feel free to post a solution.

-= After testing a scenario, LOS Rings will be on. Although there is an option to disable this, it doesn't work. Only way to gain full LOS again is to reload the map.

-= You cannot use send chat, send spoof chat, etc, after a cinematic. You also cannot physically send chat (Pressing Enter and typing while testing / playing the scenario)

-= Modify Protounit does not work for most units, especially attack modifications.

-= If you click to fast on a drop down menu, such as selecting a unit type in any given effect, it will select the item behind the menu.

[This message has been edited by Windmere (edited 10-23-2005 @ 05:15 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Nodgene
Skirmisher
posted 10-25-05 05:04 PM EDT (US)     26 / 44       

Quote:

Are any 3rd party editors out yet? I checked out the aoe3 one and it sucks.. I feel like making a aoe2 scenario just to bring my scenario confidence back up

Yes, we should make a shrine to Reyk so he may be safe to produce a X editor

And, *laughs* IT SUCKED!? The aoe3 editor is based on the aom editor, and the aom editor is a powerful tool. This of course - means it needs some sophistication and thus, complication to it.

You will never be able to produce anything near the quality of an aom/aoe3 scenario with the aok editor, nevermind the fact the games are different. Sure it's intimidating at first, but you'll get used to it pretty quick

Even the simplest features... I mean, the trigger "copy" button, I stayed up all night one day to copy triggers for an eight player multiplayer scenario for aok:tc :| Now I can do the same workload in a few hours.

More from triggers, the "QV Randomise" allows you to make anything random in the scenario - you could design a scenario that never plays the same way without needing to learn the RMS language.

The triggers are more complex/varied, so more possible things can happen, the terrain tools are easier to use to great effect and precision.
It IS superior! anybody who claims otherwise doesn't know what they are on about. Simple as that.

"That's your excuse for everything... Someone's either pregnant or a communist."
Protecting the public from the Christian Taliban since forever.

[This message has been edited by Nodgene (edited 10-25-2005 @ 05:12 PM).]

Kovo
Skirmisher
posted 10-25-05 05:21 PM EDT (US)     27 / 44       
As far as AOE3 Single play goes. 10/10

However the editor is as bad as a beta of a beta of a protype of a beta's beta.

ArchNidhogg
Skirmisher
(id: Mouse Overlord)
posted 10-25-05 05:29 PM EDT (US)     28 / 44       
The AOM and AOE3 editors are, IMO, vastly superior to the AOK editor. The AOM editor was amazing, and was what got me started in editing in the first place. The AOE3 editor is even better, or would be, if it wasn't full of bugs. :\

The Night Tower
_-~:|Septenary|:~-_
Byz
Skirmisher
(id: Byzantine_Warrior)
posted 10-25-05 09:47 PM EDT (US)     29 / 44       
I sent a letter to Ensemble.

Quote:

To Whom It May Concern,
Age of Empires 3 is a great game thus far! I'm really enjoying it. Yet, my favorite part about all past Ensemble games has been the Scenario Editor. While the features of AoE 3's editor seem excellent, there are a few rather major bugs that most of the scenario design community have been complaining about.

The bugs discovered so far are as follow:

* After testing a scenario, LOS Rings will be on. Although there is an option to disable this, it doesn't work. Only way to gain full LOS again is to reload the map.
* You cannot use send chat, send spoof chat, etc, after a cinematic. You also cannot physically send chat (Pressing Enter and typing while testing / playing the scenario)
* Modify Protounit does not work for most units, especially attack modifications.
* If you click to fast on a drop down menu, such as selecting a unit type in any given effect, it will select the item behind the menu.
* Some report the "Chat Contains" condition not functioning.

For more information and updates, check this.

While the scenario design community is a relatively small part of Ensemble's market, we are a pretty vocal group. Just as much, "those who play our scenarios online are roughly 50% or more. Look at the AoC zone and Eso1 in AoMTT. You won't miss a Scenario on the screen."

On behalf of the designers committed to your game, we implore you to take another look at the editor and fix up some of the bugs. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Drew Stoltzfus
a.k.a. Byzantine Warrior

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
Spitfire
HG Alumnus
(id: spitfire_23)
posted 10-25-05 10:11 PM EDT (US)     30 / 44       

Quote:

Do the rest of the math.

If you think scenarios aren't important to a game, you're mistaken. The number of games which have been essentially saved by their editors is huge, and they extend the life of a game enormously. Any company that failed to realize this would soon find themselves out of work.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
Kumar Shah
Skirmisher
posted 10-25-05 10:55 PM EDT (US)     31 / 44       
I don't want to get into the whole argument as to how important the scenario design community is to ES over here anyway.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Stud
Skirmisher
posted 10-25-05 11:56 PM EDT (US)     32 / 44       
Has anyone else had a problem with the areas? For example when you are setting the diameter of the circle, is it just a fair guess as to how big 10 is? and how much bigger it is than 5? I pressed "Show" one time and it gave me a flag with a blue circle around it, and that was the last I had ever seen of it.
SilencedDisciple
Skirmisher
posted 10-27-05 06:55 PM EDT (US)     33 / 44       
@Byz: Have they metioned anything back to you?

-SilDis

"We are as happy as our minds make up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Proud member of Ambition Designs
Nodgene
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 05:26 AM EDT (US)     34 / 44       
Good on you byz!

Quote:

and they extend the life of a game enormously.

Yeah, it's very true. AoK would be gathering dust if it wasn't for it's editor.

"That's your excuse for everything... Someone's either pregnant or a communist."
Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 10-28-05 05:58 AM EDT (US)     35 / 44       
Chat contains doesn't work. It's disasterous because I'm forced to use cheap and primitive methods for my scenario.
Nodgene
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 07:11 AM EDT (US)     36 / 44       
Or, you need to be more inovative ?

Takk
Skirmisher
(id: Luke_Feanor)
posted 10-28-05 10:13 AM EDT (US)     37 / 44       
@Byz: Could you keep us informed of ES's repsonse (if any) to your e-mail?

Lucas is boss.
Byz
Skirmisher
(id: Byzantine_Warrior)
posted 10-29-05 01:12 PM EDT (US)     38 / 44       
Yeah sure. Nothing yet, though.

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
_o0XxX0o_
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 04:32 AM EDT (US)     39 / 44       
The last Ensamble game I bought was AoM(not AoM2). They don't give a crap about the editor, and it is very appearent that AoE3 is no exception.

I am so glad I read this thread. Saved myself $50 for a game that is worth $0.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....
sziggi
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 08:45 PM EDT (US)     40 / 44       
lol^^I would like to see the chat contains working.
CaveTown
VIP
posted 11-01-05 08:53 PM EDT (US)     41 / 44       

Quote:

The last Ensamble game I bought was AoM(not AoM2). They don't give a crap about the editor, and it is very appearent that AoE3 is no exception.

I am so glad I read this thread. Saved myself $50 for a game that is worth $0.

1. Of course the last game you bought they didn't give a crap about the editor you said you bought it from Ensamble, and not Ensemble (jk)

2. Of course you bought AoM, because AoM2 doesn't exist .

3. The editor in AoMTT was almost perfect. AoE3's editor however is not, if a few bugs in aoe3's editor are fixed then the editor will be alot better.

Former level designer at Reverie World Studios.
I still do some levels for fun, though!
Nodgene
Skirmisher
posted 11-02-05 06:08 AM EDT (US)     42 / 44       

Quote:

AoM2

*giggles*

_o0XxX0o_
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 01:01 AM EDT (US)     43 / 44       
Didn't buy it. Didn't remember the name.

Didn't like the way Empiresawn neglected thier editor, but liked thier's a lot, lot better.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....
Alex898
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 04:43 PM EDT (US)     44 / 44       
The no chat after a cinema pisses me off. I have a level that starts in a cinema, and later you get ambushed and my chat wont show up!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames