Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Diplomacy Map
posted 10-23-05 10:06 PM EDT (US)   
Hey ,

Quick question I dunno if it can be done but maybe some of you will know how?

Ok I just finished my Europe Diplomacy map(like my one for Empires: DTWMW in case your wondering). Yes its been done thousand times before but hey I love making maps so I figured I'd put on out.
Anyway on to the question I placed 5 units on a peice of snow/land in the north with a Galleon(sp) with a treaty for 180 seconds just in case you decide to kill the opponent then and there. Well I tested it then realized you couldn't build a capitol untill the last age which really have put me in a picke :/ . Well I have come to a few conclusions.
1. I make it the last age giving the player enough resources to build one. (Don't really want to kinda defeats the purpose of going up in age.)
2. Place you capitols pre determined on the map. ( Also dont really want to do because I want the players to choose.)
3. Series of triggers randomly placing you and capital near resources.(God knows how i'll pull that off)

So is their anyway for me to get this done the way I want or am I sh*t outta luck? thanks

Moby

~M~ob Fr E a k~ O~
"This, Then, Is Our Destiny... To Fight, And Bleed, To Struggle And, Yes, To Triumph... This Day. This Day, We Will Stand Against The Night."
big_perm_friday@hotmail.com

Replies:
posted 10-24-05 07:06 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
*bump*

~M~ob Fr E a k~ O~
"This, Then, Is Our Destiny... To Fight, And Bleed, To Struggle And, Yes, To Triumph... This Day. This Day, We Will Stand Against The Night."

posted 10-24-05 07:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
I got your email but sorry, I haven't delved into that portion of the editor yet:\.
posted 10-24-05 07:23 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
I don't understand what you mean your first 2 questions, but #3 can be done with Quest Vars. Look on the Wiki (wiki.heavengames.com/age/ for a QV guide. They'll probably be written for AOM, but it works for Age 3.
posted 10-24-05 07:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
those numbers aren't questions its the alternatives I could do. The clarify my question was is there a way I could allow the people to build a capital if they dont have one but arent in the required age. I cant seem to find a solution.

~M~ob Fr E a k~ O~

posted 10-24-05 07:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
No, you can only build buildings within their age, because of the techtree and proto xml files.
You can get around this, by having a normally 'useless' building, once built, 'Change Unit Type In Area'ing into a Capitol.
You could even make that 'useless building' that you use have a build limit of 1, so you can only build 1 capitol.

If you don't want a build limit, you could always not loop the triggers, so when you next build the 'useless building', it comes up normally. However, this causes a problem if the Capitol is destroyed or deleted, and you want to build another one.

I'd probably keep it looping, so you could build as many Capitols as you want, and use a building such as the Livestock Pen, but make sure there are no Herdables on the map so it really is useless.
I'm not that familiar with non-demo buildings, so maybe there is a more suitable useless alternative.

[This message has been edited by Shrink (edited 10-24-2005 @ 07:40 PM).]

posted 10-24-05 08:31 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
pretty good idea. Ill make touch ups until we can upload then maybe Ill make the last age the starting age until I can figure out a suitable solution.

~M~ob Fr E a k~ O~

posted 10-24-05 08:42 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
I'd say that auto-triggering a change from one created building to the Capitol is the most effective solution, as long as the player knows which building 'becomes' the Capitol.
Placing Capitols yourself might also work - you could place them in real European capital cities, though it doesn't mean that player necessarily has to build there.
However, this leaves the capitol pretty open to death from enemies.

Why is the capitol that important to have built at the beginning?

Maybe give your Nomad settlers a Wagon for a building, such as the factory or Outpost, and transform that as soon as it is built. Therefore, you get a Capitol at the players' first settlement when they start building, and it doesn't cost them anything, and it's there from the beginning of the game.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Diplomacy Map
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames