Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Question
Bottom
Topic Subject:Question
vaccal
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 05:10 PM EDT (US)         
I saw in the February 2005 PC-Gamer Magazine Edition some screens of AoE 3. I saw one screen showing a fort with actual soldiers and cannons mounted on the wall. Is there anyway to achieve this, or was it just beta?
AuthorReplies:
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 11-01-05 06:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
The wall is an editor-only unit with soldiers plastered to it's top as part of the unit.
I do not think it is in the full game.

vaccal
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 06:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
oh well, it wold have been nice eye candy
ToMyBoY
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 08:26 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
With the editor as it is, dare I say it can't be done. There was a way to do it in the AOMTT editor by cheating an elevated little piece of ground for the unit to stand on, scaling up the wall and positioning it to hide the elevation, then placing the unit on top of it. Also you could create a little elevated section, put walls on both sides, and give the illusion the units were standing on a wall. So far this is not possible in the 3 editor, especially since you can't scale units with the default configuration. You could try creating a peak using the elevation tool, placing the unit on the peak, and position the wall unit carefully so it hides the peak. It's pretty hard to make it work though. The only problem here is that the wall reacts to the elevation, and gets pushed up.

I've messed with creating a floating infantry unit by editing the proto file. I am able to float units above the ground okay (like a longbowman) but unfortunately I haven't found the def that tells how high to make the unit float (there must be a default one somewhere). What I'm getting at is, if a new unit can be created using a new proto file that will float a distance equal to the height of the fort wall, then we could place units on the walls. I'm experimenting with this technique but so far no luck. I'm sure it's possible, but I just have to find the damn def files that controls the height of flying objects. Otherwise a new def file for the wall unit could be made that ignores elevations - I'm trying this too. If I crack it, I'll post the solution.

vaccal
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 09:02 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Awesome! Good hard work and patience... everything I don't have. lol.

I'm thinking of a good story for a scenario, something along the lines of a Dead Mans Gun sort of thing. I 'unno yet.

[This message has been edited by vaccal (edited 11-01-2005 @ 10:33 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames