You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Suggestions for my battle scenario, Battle of Yellow Creek.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Suggestions for my battle scenario, Battle of Yellow Creek.
Botolf
Royal Guard
posted 12-12-05 00:32 AM EDT (US)         
This scenario will have you (British) against the French. Both of you have your lines spread across a narrow valley. Both of you possess cannon, and large amounts of musketeers. I want to be sure that men go down with one shot, and I assume the easiest way to do this would to do the "Damage units in area" trigger, correct?

Also, would it be possible for the AI to move entire groups of men? (They are arranged into groups of 50). Your men are arranged into the same groups, and act as a single unit.

Basically, good macro skills are better than micro skills on this map. Since there will be very large amounts of men, I want to keep the eye-candy to reasonable amounts.

I want the feel of the battle to be similar to ones of the same period. (Massed lines of muskets, stand-and-shoot warfare.)

Suggestions and corrections will be much appreciated.

| Botolf the Crazed |
There's treasure everywhere!
Winner of the Kman Lame Puns Award
AuthorReplies:
Shaw DA MAN
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-05 00:35 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
you can make armies move if thats what you mean. just select the units you want to move, create an army out of them, (triggers/army editor) then use the trigger "army move". I'm not sure about one shot kills, i dont know if damage radius will work..... sounds good though!

It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache
Botolf
Royal Guard
posted 12-12-05 00:57 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
I tried the army triggers, but they didn't work. Can someone tell me how to properly use the army triggers?

| Botolf the Crazed |
ToMyBoY
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-05 12:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
I'm not 100% sure if armies move if the player has been assigned an AI. Also, not sure whether groups can be as large as 50, you may have to break them up into two smaller groups. But creating armies and using the various army effect commands like move, work, etc work so you're just not setting it up right. First verify what the max is for a group - just play a skirmish map and select a few units to see. Then place that number of units down, select them all, open the army editor, type in a name, and click create army. Verify it worked by selecting the army off the list and make sure the units become highlighted. Then you can use any of the "army xxx" effects on them.

The damage units in area won't work since you've got to identify a base unit from which the radius of damage occurs, like a cinematic block. You could try modify proto unit to increase cannon attack but I'm not sure if that effect works. Best way would be to alter the cannon proto and increase its damage that way.

Botolf
Royal Guard
posted 12-12-05 01:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
50 units is the max for groups. Also, if I alter the cannon proto, would it affect the entire game, or just my scenario?

| Botolf the Crazed |
Shizzle
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-05 01:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
you can change the musketeers hitpoints so they go down with 1shot
Botolf
Royal Guard
posted 12-12-05 02:14 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       

Quote:

you can change the musketeers hitpoints so they go down with 1shot

How would you go about doing this? Would this hp change stay within the scenario, or would it change the entire game? Also, how do you change the unit's name? For example, I want to change "musketeer" to "British Regular".

| Botolf the Crazed |
ToMyBoY
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-05 03:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Altering the proto would cause global changes to the game -all units of that type would assume the new values. But that's what you want, really powerful guns, isn't it? When you want to restore the units to their vanilla status, just remove the modded proto and replace it with the vanilla one.

Use the change name effect to assign new unit names.

The modify proto unit effect - ie to make musketeer hitpoints less - would affect all unit types for a particular player only (if I remember right). Just add a trigger with the effect modify proto unit, and use a negative value in the delta.

superknijn
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-05 03:10 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
Use the modify proto-unit trigger, which won't effect the whole game.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Corn for the Corn God!
Botolf
Royal Guard
posted 12-12-05 03:53 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Thanks for all of the responses, they've helped alot. I'll probably be releasing this map in a few days or something.

EDIT:
Ok, I need to know if the "change name" trigger changes the name you see near the unit pic, or the name that appears when you hover the mouse over a unit.

I changed my veteran musketeers into "British Regulars", but the new name only appeared when i hovered the mouse pointer over them. When I changed some coureurs into "Canadian Militia", the new name appeared with hover and near the unit pic. I'm wondering if this is because I have an upgrade trigger for my musketeers. If so, how can I fix this.

| Botolf the Crazed |

[This message has been edited by Botolf (edited 12-12-2005 @ 08:55 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames