You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » An Idea for the Forums - Please Read and Respond
Bottom
Topic Subject:An Idea for the Forums - Please Read and Respond
ToMyBoY
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-05 12:42 PM EDT (US)         
Okay you guys, I'm not sure whether this is possible, useful, or even worth it, but here it is.

People asking about triggers is pretty common, and when we answer we usually have to spend a lot of time writing stuff like:

Trigger XXX
Condition: XXXX
or, and, active, non-active
Effect: XXX
XXXXX
XXXXX

In other words lots of writing. Sometimes to explain intricate triggers it really does take a long time and a lot of writing. So, is is possible to include a little button, maybe near the edit or delete thread icons, that puts in a trigger template? So instead of having to manually write out every trigger for people, we could just use a template, use pull-downs, and insert as many as we want? A template similar to the one in the editor would be best, with all the triggers and effects already in there. But I think even just one that has blanks for the actual effects and stuff would suffice.

Would this be a good thing?

AuthorReplies:
Reinfire
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-05 12:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 3       
I think it would be more work for Aro to add such an option than for us having to spend 10 seconds more on typing combined

Sorry tbarak, nice idea, but very unlikely to be added

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
oddy
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-05 03:28 PM EDT (US)     2 / 3       
It would be a very nice feature indeed.

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
ToMyBoY
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-05 05:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 3       
LOL Oddy, I read a post today where you replied to a trigger question and that's what inspired the suggestion. Hey, I've written out trigger patterns for people before too, and sometimes I hate it because to make a nice clear explanation takes too much time sometimes. Yeah, maybe it's 10 - 20 seconds of typing, but spell checking, making a nice format so it's easy to read/understand, etc takes time. Multiply that over the 1 - 2 years people will be posting about triggers. Seems for someone to write an applet or something wouldn't take as long. Maybe even some of the code can be boosted from the editor files.

I guess it's easy to make suggestions for other people to work on. But there's all kinds of smart coders that chill around here, and bet someone would be willing to do it sometime. Anyway, just a thought. Maybe it would make posting answers to trigger questions easier.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames