Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Otto Petard Rush
Bottom
Topic Subject:Otto Petard Rush
RedStripe
Skirmisher
posted 01-10-07 09:37 AM EDT (US)         
I have fallen in love with the petard. It is a unit that is typically not used because in most cases it costs more resources than it does to rebuild the buildings it takes down. So they have to be used EXTREMELY strategically to be efficient. With my experience running ender's powerplay I realized taht the ottomans are perfectly positioned to use them in this manner. Here is a suggested build order:

Step 1) Take a trading post
Step 2) Age 2 w/200gold and a tower
Step 3) Send 700 Gold
Step 4) Send 700 Wood
Step 5) Age 3 w/fast age up option (about 5:30)
Step 6) While your aging 3, you should have a settler forward to build a forward artillery (I prefer to keep it seperate from other forward builds so they don't see it coming)
Step 7) Start building petards
Step 8) Send 5 hussar card
Step 9) Target any tower and their TC with petards, follow it up with your hussar. Kill all remaining vills. They will have no where to garrison.

Note: 4 petards knock a TC down to about 100 hitpoints, so if you don't have enough petards just send 4 to the TC, and then hit it twice with your hussar. It will fall.

After that it's pretty much up to you. You have the choice of keeping them on the defensive with spahi, or sending sheep/gold/tc wagon etc.

If you can't hit their TC effectively. If you can't hit their eco I would suggest taking down their forwards or if your opponent is wood heavy -I would hit their houses. (great against russian).

Have fun guys!

AuthorReplies:
Omnizero
Skirmisher
posted 01-10-07 03:24 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
If you use this strat, be careful of opponents simply using improved buildings.

"Speedy Halberdiers just own things" ~TarsTarkas
MusketKing
Skirmisher
posted 01-10-07 03:54 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       

Quote:

If you use this strat, be careful of opponents simply using improved buildings.

yes but how likely is that

stripe what time is ur average for this? when i say time i mean mmm what time do ur first 5 petards come out?

"The better at AoE, the worse at RL" - Doppel
After someone suggesting to make a meatshield to fight off petards..."Where can I find this meatshield? Is it in the TC?" - Sjalle

"That last comment has earned you a ban Musk" - Solus
On realising I was on a 2nd account:"Quinarvy ehhh" - Solus

RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR - VERY GG
Mine and Micky's OPness
Zongo
Skirmisher
posted 01-10-07 05:14 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
i have improved buildings in many decks now that we can have 25 cards

Old Indian: Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
hellblazer970
Skirmisher
posted 01-10-07 08:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
The Dutch are tons better at doing this - they get the 6 Petard shipment.

TC goes down before 6 min.

Voltiguer
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-07 03:45 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
Ok this may work vs a very stupid and slow FF but besides that you may aswell type GG and resign.

Even the Dutch petard rush, which is a lot better, doesnt always work and fails aswell when tryed vs a colonial rush.

So unless you play vs noobs that try to FF without any troops you will fail....

(Unless the level of gaming has fallen a lot since November when I was last on ESO)

RedStripe
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-07 06:48 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
Some responses:

Improved buildings:
Sent before 6:15? The only strategy I have ever seen use that card is the portuguese water boom. (Why would you use this strat vs a port? They already have multiple TC's and often call on towers from cards. You wouldn't. That would just be stupid)

Use the Dutch Instead:
The Dutch do not ff fast enough to get the petards out in a competitive timeframe with an age 2 rush. Plus the dutch are WAY to wood heavy to risk 100w per petard. Just doesn't make economic sense.

Furthermore, this really isn't intended for a 1v1 game. You have to have someone else to help clean up their pre-6 minute troops or they would just take out your TC when you take out theres.

hellblazer970
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-07 06:57 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
Dutch can get a 5:15 FF, and the TC goes down before 6:00. You dont make petards anyway - you ship them either to a forward tower from age up or from your TC if you choose 500 food option.
RedStripe
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-07 08:20 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
How the hell do you ff by 5:15 as dutch. Do you have a build order?
zion_CDawg
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-07 09:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
5:15... hmm i gotta see if that's possible... most of the time you'll be wiped out if you try it.

I'm not convinced this strat is so effective. Even in a team game, the cost to get that one TC down is far more than the cost of a new TC for the enemy. Minimum is 4 petards and a arty foundry with your strat... too much.
In a team game, the villies can just move to their teammates TC or past their army.

As for improved buildings - its in most of my decks and often used (as Dutch or Ports).

Currently retired from AOE3... moved on to LOTRO... yeah an MMO... but a fun one!
Hockey fan for Life:
"I believe the Canucks of Vancouver are formidable warriors." -Teal'c, Stargate SG-1
hellblazer970
Skirmisher
posted 01-11-07 10:05 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Build a total 10 Villagers with starting gold, no house. Go to food. Choose tower + 200 gold or 500 food, your choice. Task 2-3 villagers on gold depending on if you need 100 or 300 gold, ship 700 gold upon colonial. If you sent a tower, ship it forward, but dont let it get seen. Choose Exiled Prince at about 4:45, build a house with your wood to ship the Petards. You can ship a bank wagon immediately after that, but you'll need a 100 XP treasure to get the Petards out at the same time.

Next card is generally 1000 wood that you can build three banks with to have up by 7:00

@your sig:

Quote:

ES does not give Ports boosts because gamereplays.org forumers constantly say Ports don't need a boost!

Not a single ES employee visited GR.org since the game got released... over one year ago.

[This message has been edited by hellblazer970 (edited 01-11-2007 @ 10:09 PM).]

RiPP
Skirmisher
posted 01-15-07 08:39 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Ill give that a go.

[This message has been edited by RiPP (edited 01-15-2007 @ 08:40 AM).]

TOO_Saruman
Skirmisher
posted 01-15-07 08:46 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
I thought this said Otto Retard rush at first.

ESO: empirejoao3
Clan:Proud
"You know the world is going crazy when the best golfer in the world is black, the best rapper is white, and the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese" LOL!!!
RedStripe
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-07 10:55 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
I must admit that the dutch petard rush is more effective than the ottoman petard rush. On the right map, with the right treasures you can be age 3 in under 5 mins. That means the enemy TC is usually down in under 6:00. In fact, if you haven't smiled yet today I have a few simple steps to follow:

1) Start a FFA game
2) FF
3) Call petards and preset them to the enemy TC
4) Sit back and learn all sorts of new cuss words.

I know it filled my heart with joy.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames