Skirmisher
posted 01-19-07 12:44 PM EDT (US)         
Can somebody tell me about it please.
AuthorReplies:
Qazitory
HG Alumnus
posted 01-19-07 02:31 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Microing = micromanagement.
It's when you direct your units so that they fight at a greater efficiency than if you let them fight alone.
Some examples:
-Instead of shooting a janissary with 10 skirms, you divide the skirmishers into two groups of 5 and kill 2 janissaries instead.
-Attack the enemy cannons/light infantry with your cavalry, while the enemy heavy infantry chasing your cavalry is getting killed by your light infantry.
-Instead of letting your cannons fire at a plantation, you micro them to kill enemy light infantry firing at you.
-Defeating a larger group of units with a smaller one by withdrawing the unit taking damage and letting your units fire at the enemy units trying to kill your damaged unit.

Did this help?

•Qazitory•
•AoE3 rating: Qazitory
My AoE3:TWC mods: QazUI - Treasure - Main Menu - Low Lag HC - Deck selection•
•Guide my keystrokes, keep my programs alive, protect me from viruses, back up my drive.•
Adamadamad41
Skirmisher
posted 01-19-07 03:44 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
Ok thanks.
urafricanbrother
Skirmisher
posted 01-19-07 04:57 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
One thing I would add is hit and run. If you have speedy, ranged units (skirms,cassadors, dragoons) you can fire a volley at your enemy, then move your troops in the opposite direction while they "reload." (3 second pause imbetween shots) Once reloaded fire another volley and repeat. What makes this worthwile is your troops are not vulnerable to enemy fire for the 3 seconds they are reloading.
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 01-19-07 06:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
Hit and run isn't only limited to keeping out of melee.

If your ranged guys are getting meleed, run them away between shots, its better for a skirm to shoot than to melee. They will still be taking damage as they're slowed down but pathing issues makes it so less enemy units can melee you at a time and you can do more damage and lose less.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
resignexpert
Skirmisher
posted 01-19-07 09:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
One thing that I find difficult as a newbie, is selecting just the units I want to micro when there is a lot of stuff happening on the screen. Double-clicking a moving unit is very difficult.

I've noticed that the tab key cycles between subgroups, but I can't find a key that will actually let me select just those units. I have to control-click on the actual portrait to do that, which is too slow in the heat of battle.

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 01-20-07 02:13 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
If things are happening really quickly, and you have your units somewhat split, just select a small group of them and attack, select another small group and attack. Perfect micro isnt required, but quick controled group fire like that can turn it in your favor rather quickly.

Ranged infantry don't need much micro but Cav are easier to get ahold of and need to be controlled more just let them kill stuff untill they run into their counters and then run them away.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames