Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Chinese General
Bottom
Topic Subject:Chinese General
NightsDelusion
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-08 02:57 AM EDT (US)         
I've been trying to play the Chinese, but I really am not able to understand how to properly use their bonuses or cards. They're an interesting civ but I can't help but feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Can anyone give me some general tips to use when playing them. I know there is already a topic about the Chinese rush but I want more specific information.

"Hell is not place you go if you're not a Christian, it's the failure of your life's greatest ambition"
"Put you hands in the air like you've got the heat to you back / And shake your body like a baby, born addicted to crack"
both by Immortal Technique "Leaving the Past"
AuthorReplies:
CunniJA
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-08 03:37 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
Maybe I'll think about posting that basic Chinese guide I did.

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
"Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."

[This message has been edited by CunniJA (edited 05-30-2008 @ 03:39 AM).]

NightsDelusion
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-08 03:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Whatever advice you could give would be appreciated. I have trouble placing villages and using the monk, he always seems to die. Things like how to use the general civ bonuses, are my problem.

"Hell is not place you go if you're not a Christian, it's the failure of your life's greatest ambition"
"Put you hands in the air like you've got the heat to you back / And shake your body like a baby, born addicted to crack"

[This message has been edited by NightsDelusion (edited 05-30-2008 @ 03:56 PM).]

English Shogun
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-08 06:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
the chinese are a good civ to use: good choice. the banner armies and cheap units are really amazing: you always have a counter unit available, if you train the right army.

IMO you should age up with the porcelien tower which streams you resources, kind of like a mini factory.

you definitely need to get the monastery upgrades for the monk and disciples, it makes them really good.

the iron flails are rubbish: dont get them!!! use steppe riders instead.

once in colonial train equal amounts of the 2 cho ko nu armies (one has 3 chocs, 3 pikes and the other has 3 chocs and 2 steppes) as this gives you a very good army that can attack, defend and even siege the enemy, thanks to the pike and steppe good siege attack.

im not sure what advice you want but i hope the above helps you out a bit.
CunniJA
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-08 07:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
No way, Summer Palace is the way to go to Colonial.

Also, Iron Flails are great. With Double-Faced Armor, one Iron Flail has basically the same ranged HP as a Cuirassier, but is only two population rather than three. Steppe Riders, on the other hand, are like Uhlans and often die too quickly in combat after Colonial.

I don't know what you mean by "having trouble placing villages."

And, if your Monk is always dying, you're going after treasures that are too big.

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
"Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."
Flair
Skirmisher
posted 05-30-08 07:47 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
Maybe I'll think about posting that basic Chinese guide I did.
Please do.
Marneus Calgar
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 05-30-08 08:27 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
the banner armies and cheap units are really amazing: you always have a counter unit available, if you train the right army.
well, not since japan became so OP.

Ashis counter everything chinese have, without even needing extra nagis or yumis, especially with the ashi attak card.

Pikeman and CKN die without even having to micro. Steppes die, without even having to do anything.

The only thing i find that helps is getting to age 2 quickly, raiding and get an FB up before him for map control. This forces him to play defensively, although you still have little chance, unless you play a 5 year old, and you would still have to focus hard. IMO try to use disciples as a meat shield and let the CKN fire over.

He has cherry orchards, even though its slow gathering, near his TC so its hard to raid his food, and he has shrines, so its hard to starve him of anything.

Best thing is trying to take his miners out with 7 steppes(your best age 2 raiding card) and force him to slow down on ashi production.

Also, look near hunts to try and bring down shrines. This does 2 things, it will start housing him, and cut down on resource production.

Also, try not playing on water maps, because if his fish booms, his food production will be even bigger. 3 fishing boats > 300 wood usually

Whew!

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
NightsDelusion
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-08 02:14 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
By placing villages I mean I am not sure if I or when I should concentrate putting them around recourses as a precaution against raiding because that, besides their awesome efficency after getting 5, seems to the their main purpose.

And my monk seems to always die in battle. Maybe it's because of FF from the enemy who is afraid of disciples or my mismanagement, but either way it gives the enemy tons of exp and rids me of one of my civ bonuses.

In colonial the Chinese army generally seems weak (pop for pop). Just out of curiosity, are they really that cheap? Comparing stats, Quaing Pikes are just plain worse than Euro pikes and all chinese units have low HP. Steppes seem to only be good raiders(though extremely good) after you get the Mongol scourge card(which also makes me wonder if I should bother with Old Han if I'm not facing Musketeers).

All the info has been appreciated. I hope I can begin to play more effectively, but I know part of my problem is how I start my game. If anyone can point me to some recs with standard Chinese play it would help too. Thanks for baby sitting me.

[This message has been edited by NightsDelusion (edited 05-31-2008 @ 02:15 AM).]

Marneus Calgar
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 05-31-08 02:23 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=2028
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1660&ci=851272e1c0e61ea9c03246cee9aee01e4AdIvefZN

found these in5 seconds just by typing "china" and "Chinese"(separately) into the search bar in the dloads section.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames