You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Is the Double rax x-bow spam dead?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is the Double rax x-bow spam dead?
Jevon
Skirmisher
posted 06-03-08 04:16 AM EDT (US)         
Recently i've seen a lot less players using the double rax xbow spam? I've been meaning to get back to Ports after a long spell with russian, and wonder if the double rax xbow spam is still viable in TAD 1v1? I'm a master srg, but see very few players of "intermediate" ability using this strat anymore?

(lot of ashigaru spams around though .... enough said)
AuthorReplies:
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-03-08 04:42 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
HI+HC is the new dominant strategy. Crossbows got nerfed, and are no longer as viable for spamming as they were. It's not dead, but it's been mortally wounded.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan

[This message has been edited by LordKivlov (edited 06-03-2008 @ 04:42 AM).]

XxTakeo_OxX
Skirmisher
posted 06-03-08 05:30 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
I tend to make lots of crossbow's in colonial because when i hit fortress i can turn them all into skirms (french). The reason i think you do not see crossbows spamed often is cause there are better options available to you. For example, Ashigaru and sepoy.

o_OxX

"Sport,"Rand said abruptly. I might as well see where this leads. I agree.
Giskard are you calling me a retard?
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 06-03-08 06:41 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
xbows are lot less powerful now, doing 33% less dmg to cavalry, 12.5% less to LI, for only a whooping 11% more to HI.
you used to be able to fend off cavalry a lot easier, as you could slow them down with xbows killing them and move your army around have have pikes handle the rest, nowadays xbows just dont kill cavalry anymore, and kill other LI slower so that you lose more pikes
Jevon
Skirmisher
posted 06-03-08 06:51 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
So what would you guys recommend as a portugese player returning?(I guess they're still down in the UP club)
Muskets and Hussar spam? or normal a FF for cassas/goons/organ guns?
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-03-08 07:08 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
I'd suggest either FF or Musket Hussar, and always water boom when you can. If you're going to FF, be prepared to defend against HI, which is a curve ball since everyone used to attack with LI who had no siege damage.

[This message has been edited by LordKivlov (edited 06-03-2008 @ 07:12 AM).]

Flair
Skirmisher
posted 06-03-08 11:17 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
ATP/Stage coach on a land map, then as LorKivlov said, Musket/Hussar works pretty well. The only problem is fending off a fast rush before you can get your stagecoach eco up.
Turk Janissary
Skirmisher
posted 06-04-08 07:05 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       

I FF and then make Organs culvs, halbs, cassas,HA and dragoons, sometimes muskets. Depending on the oposition

New cassas can own the sepoys and ashi. A stange thing people see their HI die in front of my cassa organ barrage and they still keep pumping ashis and sepoys.

Against some you might need two outposts behind the TC.

Now Ports are not the UP civ, IMHO brits and sioux are, but there are better civs no doubt

WHAT THE BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT I am no Turk i am Portuguese ..... I just like to play Turk
And the 50 thousand Janissarys came upon the byzantine walls Constantinople and the byzantine empire were about to end..
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-04-08 07:26 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
IMHO Ports are the bottom civ right now, they really only have the FF which isn't as great as it used to be.

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 06-04-08 09:46 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
cassadores are good against HI, but your cass/organ gun spam would die quick against hussars/uhlans... also you only get those in fortress...
Simia
Skirmisher
posted 06-04-08 11:57 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Water booming in colonial with xbows is no longer viable with ports?

Rushing With France
the french ar general an bad civ. bcause they know what the enemy can do!
as an french u must luck that u have more crossbows then pikes. pikes ar only for buildings or cav. the deck should have in 3 hussars. thats the way to winning! a nother good card is 700 wood and 700 food. have fun by capture the enemy -Loessli
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-08 06:02 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
It never was. Water boom with ports is good but you still get screwed over and need to age pretty quick. Besides there aren't too many maps with decent water (although the new Asian water maps have very good resources)

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-05-08 06:07 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
Hmmm Water boom Xbow spam is viable in theory because all you need to do with your vills is chop wood and the fishing boats provide the other resource needed. Booming and building an army at the same time sounds perfect, only going Fortress and making Cassadores and Goons and Vet Musketeers is a better idea.

Portuguese strength lays in the Fortress Age, which is why they're at the bottom of the heap right now because the game is Colonial dominant right now. They can fight it out in Colonial, but you find a much higher success rate if you go Fort, which also coincides with every French player I've seen going Musket/Hussar instead of Double rax.

[This message has been edited by LordKivlov (edited 06-05-2008 @ 06:08 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames