You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » [xbows]=crap?
Bottom
Topic Subject:[xbows]=crap?
shadowlemon
Skirmisher
posted 06-03-08 05:25 PM EDT (US)         
originally posted on agecommunity

i don't know what happened lately to nerf xbows or something in vanilla, but it makes me sick.Isn't LI supposed to counter HI???

basic scenario happens on carolina:

Starting, 14 vills, aging like i usually do, send schooners, pump fishing boats... 10 minutes in the game, i scouted him and saw muskets coming out i start pumping out xbow and 5 pikes you never know. having 42 vills i suppose i olmost outboomed him while he's not fish booming... i didn't rely enough on troops.

he attacks and slightly outnumbers me, but not with that great numbers. xbows get pwnt, minuteme get pwnt, game over.

there was no tc fire as i assumed winning this battle and preparing to outboom him and go fortress. aswell i didn't assume it neccesary with no vills being attacked.

what am i doing wrong? isn't it supposed that even 20 xbows should be able to kill 30 muskets with ease? what's happening ... what am i doing wrong?

the only true counter i've found to be succesfull against muskets are cannons and skirms...

somebody help me out?
AuthorReplies:
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-03-08 06:07 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17       
Well first you could tell us what civ you're playing, because we're not mind readers. Secondly, you're microing pretty terribly if you're letting his Musketeers beat you. You're fish booming, out produce him.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 06-03-08 07:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17       
yeah so far you sound like any civ that can make crossbows, so be more specific... also what civ was your opponent? (if he was russian you deserve a smack in the face for loosing that) lol
StevoPhilo
Skirmisher
posted 06-03-08 07:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17       
I'd guess french with 14 vils :P
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 06-03-08 07:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17       
it is either spanish or port, french and german dont have schooner.

on the subject, though imo xbows are under-performing currently, they still beat muskts cost effectively when no other units are involved.

it is especially so if you are boat booming - having access to almost unlimited food and would have researched 2 wood chopping tech - making xbows quite cheap and never run out, whereas your opponent would have limited hunt around him to make the food heavy musks.

thus the only reason you have lost is you would have overboomed and not enough xbows

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 06-03-2008 @ 08:22 PM).]

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-03-08 07:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17       
He sent schooners, it isn't France. It's either Portuguese or Spain.

Edit: lolol posted exact same time I did :P

[This message has been edited by LordKivlov (edited 06-03-2008 @ 07:55 PM).]

Marneus Calgar
Veteran Musketeer (Content Contributor)
posted 06-03-08 08:37 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17       
Spain gets the 3 vill card. I think he plays ports, beacause if he was spain he most likely would have shipped 3 vills and aged with the standard 17 vills, But since port has no villie cards, I assume it's ports who age up with less vills.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 06-04-08 05:40 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17       
Spain goes with 15/16 vills. Well muskets would beat xbows in equal numbers if you don't hit and run, xbows cost less and have weaker stats. You need to use the 4 range advantage xbows have.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
NerVe_Viper
Age Sanctuary Admin
(id: FeaR_VipeR)
posted 06-04-08 07:00 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17       
what am i doing wrong? isn't it supposed that even 20 xbows should be able to kill 30 muskets with ease? what's happening ... what am i doing wrong?
They do, but you have to use micro. Xbows have a longer range, so that means if you hit/run you'll win

AoE3 Heaven cherub
AgeSanctuary administrator
NerVe Clan member
XxTakeo_OxX
Skirmisher
posted 06-04-08 07:53 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17       
Well if he plays as spain then would it not be better to ff and fight the muskets with lancers?

"Sport,"Rand said abruptly. I might as well see where this leads. I agree.
Giskard are you calling me a retard?
shadowlemon
Skirmisher
posted 06-04-08 11:52 AM EDT (US)     10 / 17       
as some of you suggested i was playing portuguese (which explains the low villager AND the shipping of shooners as first card)

maybe i overboomed, it could be an explanation, though i considered him not to be able to beat my army since i saw he was making muskets.
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-04-08 06:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17       
Well if he plays as spain then would it not be better to ff and fight the muskets with lancers?
*facepalm*

You didn't overboom, you just didn't make enough units, thinking that the counter-system would make you win by default. You've either gotta out number him, or out micro-him if you wanna win a battle.

XxTakeo_OxX
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-08 03:16 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17       
Just making friend where ever I go LordKivlov. I will learn from the “facepalm” and from now only post suggestions after doing at minimal 12 hours research on them. Thank You for your hint, I Really appreciate it. (I also need to start reading the above posts =p)

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-05-08 03:20 AM EDT (US)     13 / 17       
Minimal 12 hours of research? Or 12 seconds of Musketeers have a bonus against cavalry and not against skirmishers?

XxTakeo_OxX
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-08 03:30 AM EDT (US)     14 / 17       
I am telling you now that i have never played as spain. Im sorry if you misunderstood me but i assumed (with what i have seen in actual games) that lancers come with the age up politician. I perfectly agree with you when it comes to skirms and canons being a better counter.

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-05-08 06:03 AM EDT (US)     15 / 17       
Nope, 4 Hussar's are what they get from aging up. They always ship lancers first because they're a strong unit that won't die if they don't have little guys with spears running around to protect them.

XxTakeo_OxX
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-08 08:53 AM EDT (US)     16 / 17       
You learn something new every day.

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-08 05:23 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17       
while I have nothing against, in fact encourage players with all skill levels to join a discussion, I think it is basic common sense that you dont give suggestions on things you dont understand, if you never played spain, doesnt what shipment and age politician you get, or what lancer really counters, then dont make that kind of suggestion.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames