Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Port Rush+Boom
Bottom
Topic Subject:Port Rush+Boom
RonPaul2008
Skirmisher
posted 06-15-08 04:58 PM EDT (US)         
Ah Portugal, the slowest, defensive, hardest to play Civ out there. How could they possibly be aggressive? I'm currently exploring this and I invite you to explore with me.

Because the Ports lack villager shipments, you have some interesting choices for your first shipment.

Notable cards for the Ports:

Team Cheap Outposts.
This reduces the cost of outposts from 250 to 175. Perhaps this can be used to solidify your forward base? Also very useful with a Russian or Native ally in team games. I usually play Russians, and I would love my blockhouses to cost 175, because I build a lot of them.

Team Colonial Ranged Cavalry
Age 2 Dragoons can be useful, but if you think about it, maybe not. Your age 2 military is going to mostly consist of Pikes and Muskets anyway, which are both effective against cavalry. Again, if you have a Russian ally, however, who lacks Pikemen, and who's weak Muskets don't do much against cavalry, he would find this useful.

Colonial Militia
We're trying to be offensive, so this isn't likely to be useful. However, if you think outside the box, you can put your second TC behind your forward base, to really solidify it. This would basically guarantee age 2 indestructibility of your forward base, if you backed it with a few outposts. Still, maybe not the best idea.

Economic Theory
In "theory", this is a fantastic card, but most civilizations can't find the right time to send it. 3 villager shipment, or distributivism, or schooners, is just better. We're assuming you're on a land map. I have found that this card makes the Port rush actually possible, so this would be my recommendation.

Land Grab
Totally underrated card. The ROI on it is fanstastic, but you have to wait a while. It doesn't have any short term impact. Because the ports are food intensive, and I generally put 8 vills/mill because of that bonus discovered, I'm likely to build 4 mills and 3-4 plantations/game. That's 200*4+320*4=2120 wood. It's another one of those cards that people want to use but can't find the right time to. I find it useful even if you're not turtling.

Advanced Trading Post
Everyone has it, but other than Ottos, no one really uses it. It's a good card, one that won't save you too much wood in the long run, but keep it in mind on TP heavy maps with strong natives.

Furrier
You want to pump both TCs, this shipment will help you do this.

I've mostly been experimenting with economic theory.

Anyway, here's where the seeming contradiction is. If ports Rush, they can't pump both TCs, squandering their main advantage. With just 1 TC running, they become the most generic civilization in colonial, with nothing available but Muskets, Pikes, Xbows, and Hussars. So the goal has to be to pump both TCs constantly while producing military. For this, we need a LOT of food.

How to do it:
Normal start, herd, build house, age with 14-15 vills. Use the 400 wood politician (I have yet to experiment with the 500 food politician. It's possible he's better.

While aging, put 3 guys on coin. Put 4 guys on wood. The rest stay on food. Build a market when you get 100 wood. Research hunting dogs immediately. Que up some vills. When you age, collect the wood and start building a barracks asap. Build a house. When you get 100 more wood, build a stable. 100 more wood build a house. Que up 1 Musketeer and when he's almost finished, press shift and que 5 more. You want to never cease production of muskets or villagers. Whenever you collect enough wood, build a house. Get the second hunting upgrade asap. Keep up vill production. Distribute the vills as needed, but I'd send the first 3/4 to food. At some point you will be imbalanced and will need to redistribute villagers to mostly food and coin. If you have no housing issues, build some outposts if you have the extra wood. When you have a decent amount of food and gold, que 1 hussar and when he's almost done add 4 more. Try to keep both TCs running.

Backtrack a little bit. Your second TC should be close, but far enough to get some new hunts. Herd the animals in between your TCs.

I use a few military cards and most resource cards for age 2. My first card is usually 6 Muskets or 8 Xbows. I have both 700 and 600 food in my deck. Send these for Hussars, and extra musks, and to keep both TCs pumping. You can also send the 700 wood card for Pikes and Xbows, and to maybe build a second barracks. I use the 700 gold card for aging mostly.

By 8 minutes, you can have more villagers than your opponent (unless he's British), and a pretty good sized army of Muskets, Pikes (mostly for anti-building purposes), and some Hussars to take out light infantry. You NEED the Hussars, because a pure Musket rush will get slaughtered. Your attack might not cripple your opponent, but it should slow him down or force him to use resources on defense. While you're attacking, keep your economy going.

That's all for now, I gtg. I might add to this later. Let me know what you think.
AuthorReplies:
Mapppp
Skirmisher
(id: Jimmy2)
posted 06-15-08 06:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Sounds good, it pretty much sums up most Port rushes: Disrupt their economy while building yours up. However, I have a few ideas that could make this more interesting. You dismiss Colonial Militia as a purely defensive card. If you want to think really outside the box, try sending 24 minutemen from your FB right when you attack. While they lose hp fast, they can really screw up micro for your opponent, and you can use them to easily 1-hit kill 2 settlers if you split them up. Also, it gives you a psychological edge against your enemy, because it looks like you have 24 more men then he has.

Also, economic theory is a great card, especially on a water map, where Ports excel. I often use this card as early as possible, so it can pay for itself.

Don't forget that your explorer has the Spyglass. You can use it to find vulnerable settlers or to see what your opponent's age-up bonus is, to predict what he is doing.

I hope some of this helps. I'm not a very good player, but I just felt like saying a few ideas. Good job and keep up the good work!

◓◓◓◓◓
Dudely
Skirmisher
posted 06-15-08 06:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
I've yet to try this, but I think it would be good because people never expect a rush as Portugal, so they might not be ready to defend.
cquinn333
Skirmisher
posted 06-15-08 06:23 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
Thats why the gimmick strat in my sig actually worked more often than not. Sure its all or nothing but difficult to fend off. But yeha like your strat it never worked against the british

Notice the victory Screenshot was won at 6:09 :P

[This message has been edited by cquinn333 (edited 06-15-2008 @ 06:26 PM).]

Arcane Ranger
Skirmisher
posted 06-15-08 08:27 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Just a small thing, but isn't the most productive amount of settlers on mill/plant 7? That's what I heard.
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 06-15-08 09:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Yes, the optimal number of vills on a mill or plantation is 7, however it is not the most efficient way until later in the game when the extra 400(240) or 800(480) wood is negligible.
Team Cheap Outposts.
This reduces the cost of outposts from 250 to 175. Perhaps this can be used to solidify your forward base? Also very useful with a Russian or Native ally in team games. I usually play Russians, and I would love my blockhouses to cost 175, because I build a lot of them.
Better spent on 700 wood unless you plan on building a lot of Outposts.
Furrier
You want to pump both TCs, this shipment will help you do this.
Better to send 700 food unless you forward TC and keep playing aggressively to keep control of the hunts, even then this card isn't really worth it.
Again, if you have a Russian ally, however, who lacks Pikemen, and who's weak Muskets don't do much against cavalry, he would find this useful.
Not really, a Russian player is better off making Cossacks which fight off other cavalry and don't get slaughtered by LI.

Don't build pikes if you're building Muskets, build crossbows, Musketeers have adequate siege and you'll want something more than just HI+HI combo.

400 wood is always the best age up politician to colonial, 500 food is nice, but you can't beat the barracks + 20 pop space it gives you.
Because the Ports lack villager shipments, you have some interesting choices for your first shipment.
Generally skip the first shipment or send E.Theory, it's a great first card for a civ who lacks any sort of villager/trickle card.

Otherwise, once again, nice basic coverage of ports.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
RonPaul2008
Skirmisher
posted 06-16-08 06:44 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Ok, so I tried this out twice vs a pretty good Dutch player. First game I won, taking out his barracks and stable. He didn't have wood to rebuild and put up some banks.

Second game I lost rather decisively. He had a front base which I missed by accident and went for his town. I took out a bank at around 8 minutes but then my pikes and muskets got mauled. I never got the momentum back. We both went fortress, then he went industrial and massacred me with so many Ruyters, Skirms, and cannons that I had to look twice. He said he had enough resources at the end of the game to go imperial. It was rather nuts.

In truth, I'm trying to use the ports the way you use the British. It's just not effective. Just use the British. Manor booming is a lot more effective than having 2 TCs it turns out.
Mapppp
Skirmisher
(id: Jimmy2)
posted 06-16-08 11:13 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Don't forget, once you reach Fortress, you have 3 TCs. Also, the Ports also have a lot of good water cards. And don't forget that Econmedia Manor (or whatever it is) can be useful later in the game, especially on a sea map where your fishing boats take care of coin production, and all of your food production is done by mills.

Another way to use Ports for rushing is by trying an early rush. Age up with the 400 wood politician, send 8 xbows and/or 6 muskets, throw up a barracks and get 5 more xbows, and raid nonstop. Keep your opponent off their food and coin while pumping both TCs. That way, by the time they have a sizeable force to stop your raids, you already have a large eco that you can back up with troops.

I haven't played with Britain often, but I'm sure the Ports can catch up to them somehow. Maybe Medicine could be useful?

◓◓◓◓◓
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames