You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Recording- Review Please
Bottom
Topic Subject:Recording- Review Please
DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 06-03-09 04:21 PM EDT (US)         
Well I have gotten a recording of me playing and would like to know if there is anything that I am doing wrong in my early game period, which is all that can be assessed from this rec due to the fact that this player I faced was a really really big noob and used a mill to go to colonial, causing my xbow/pike rush to become a pike rush.
But the link is here.

And also, two questions, do xbow only counter musketeers with hit and run in Vanilla? How do you usually do this hitting and running as when I have tried it I have usually failed pretty well. And when you know you are facing a large HI rush as France, what do you do to counter this? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by DukeLeto (edited 06-04-2009 @ 07:40 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
iTech64
Scenario Reviewer
posted 06-03-09 05:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
i'll watch and review for you now

1. start out by sending 2 vils to hunts
2. distribute the rest of the vils to their own food crate.
3. start herding with 1 vil the second you see a good herd.
4. treasure hunt more and earlier.
5. you did good with your forward base
6. dont attack villagers with pikes, you do like 6 damage each hit.
7. take down the house he had, and take down and buildings in progress.
8. then attack that mill since it the only thing he was gathering from.
9. get xbows earlier
10. more villagers on wood during transition, dont jut rely on the 400 wood to make the barracks, have atleast 300 ready when you reach age 2.
11. idle villagers, avoid this
12. get market improvements earlier, like as soon as it is put up
13. have 2 vils collect the wood from transition
14. herd your hunts to your town center!
15. scout his base with your scout and explorer the entire time, keep them moving
16. move your military into his base as soon as you get it. dont wait for reinforcements if he has no military yet.

think thats about it.
oh and go steal blues crates since he left

iTech64
My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
My Mapguides: Northwest Territories

[This message has been edited by iTech64 (edited 06-03-2009 @ 05:57 PM).]

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 06-03-09 07:27 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
lol discovery mill strat

i'll take a look at it soon

QUACK
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 06-03-09 08:42 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
1, i always use 5 vils on food crates at the start of the game, this allows me to get first vil out fastest, as soon as first vil is queued, i move a few to hunt.

2, with 200 wood start and 40 gold treasure, if you were to do 14 cdb age up you should have made the market the first thing and gathered 50 wood + 10 gold for hunting dog, it would not have slowed you down.

3, since you did not do that, and had rush in mind then building market + 1 house in transition was not a good idea, it woul have been better if you kept 200 wood in coffer the moment you hit age2 you could have built your barrack 20 seconds earlier. and use the age up wood for 2 houses and second batch of units.

4, housed when you have close to 400 wood in coffer.
DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 06-04-09 06:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
So what are the worst things that I am currently doing? Idle villagers? Not herding? Or extra resources?
TwentyLemon
Skirmisher
posted 06-04-09 11:26 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Extra resources is probably the most important one. If you have res, it doesn't help at all when it's just building up in the coffers. Unless you're trying to age you should always have military queued up. If you can't afford the whole batch just queue one and throw the rest in later, the res should come in while it's building.

Herding is definitely a close second. I'm stuck in the habit of japan so this keeps leaving my mind every time I go off of fp. The second you find another nearby hunt, send a vil to herd them. Herding is a really great tool, you come to love it even more once someone does a harassing semi-ff against you. Instead of taking vils out, they just get slightly hurt and your eco is not slowed as horribly.

Idle vils are obviously important, but they don't really become a bad habit as the other two can. If you see an idle vil your first reaction is freakin get him to work.

[This message has been edited by TwentyLemon (edited 06-04-2009 @ 11:27 PM).]

DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 06-04-09 11:47 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
Ultimitsu, what would you build in transition if you were rushing as France with a 100 wood start? Put vils on wood and make what? 1 house? 2 houses? Market+ house? And try to have 200 wood stockpiled for a rax?
Also, what is a "good" hunt? 10 bison? 15 deer? Or 5 bison, 10 deer, lower number even?
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 06-05-09 00:26 AM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
Ultimitsu, what would you build in transition if you were rushing as France with a 100 wood start? Put vils on wood and make what? 1 house? 2 houses? Market+ house? And try to have 200 wood stockpiled for a rax?
if you start with 100 wood use that for house and during transition build market+ get all age 1 upgrades.
You don't really need that much stockpilled wood if you age with 400 wood which will provide you with a rax/stable+ houses or a double rax in which case you will need a house asap.

QUACK
StrategicJoeL
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-09 00:37 AM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
oh and go steal blues crates since he left
lol, crate robbing is so much fun. I took a 1000 worth of food from this one sargent at a forward dropoff point and got to fortress with it. He was soooo angry lol.

organ gunz are chuck norris daddy!
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-09 01:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
for 100w start, depending on the map, gold treasure and avaliable hunts, i would either get a TP or build a market and get hunt + wood upgrade, I would always keep 200 wood in coffer for instant barrack building and then use the 400 wood for 2 houses + 5 xbows.

i am not sure what you mean by what is good hunt.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 06-05-2009 @ 01:20 AM).]

TwentyLemon
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-09 10:09 AM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
Good hunt = any hunt. They always come in herds, get all that are relatively near your tc.
DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-09 08:18 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
So, listening to CrazyLunatic, build 1 market in transition and stockpile 200+ wood for a barracks and then make another rax and 2 houses with the age up wood? (2x rax xbow/pike rush)
And ultimitsu, why a trading post?
TwentyLemon
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-09 08:54 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
TP does essentially the same thing as the market... except for xp instead of... well res. Imo not worth the 250 (soon 200) wood.
But uh. During transition. Transition is pretty loose. If you're doing a 2rax x/p rush, then 7 CdB on each food and wood is good for transition. Get a market up, food/wood upgrade, then build a house when you can.... Transition is pretty flexible, just do what you can. The 400 age up wood is for your 2 barracks, then the 700 wood shipment that comes in is for more troops/a house or two.
DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-09 09:07 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
As far as cards go, I usually send 3 cdb-> 700w-> 4cdb or 600w-> whatever I didn't send-> Inf train or whatever I need.
Good?
Inert
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-09 11:11 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
Don't forget to put 1 cdb on gold if you can. By the time the pressure is off of you the 700 gold shipment should become available and you should try and hit fortress ASAP.
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 06-05-09 11:20 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
As far as cards go, I usually send 3 cdb-> 700w-> 4cdb or 600w-> whatever I didn't send-> Inf train or whatever I need.
ya maybe put in 8 xbows or 3 hussars after 700 wood if you really want to pressure or after 4 CdB if you want some eco.

k so to clear up double rax xbow/pike here's the basic BO:

-Build 1 house put everyone on food
-Get 11 CdB and send 3 CdB card for total of 14 CdB
-During transition put about 5/6 on wood rest on food and build a market and research wood upgrade(first) then food upgrade
-If you have enough wood build house, if not build one when reaching colonial.
-Once hitting colonial immediately send 700 wood and gather age up wood for 2 barracks and immediately start cueing xbows or pikes depending on what the opponent is making. You also want to put up a house asap
-Gather 700 wood shipment and keep spamming out xbows/pikes and build houses depending on how many units you have.

Then just do whatever, keep pushing and maybe send 8 xbows/3 hussars or send 4 CdB for some eco 700 gold is also possible if you want to age but IMO 4 CdB is much better

QUACK
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 06-05-09 11:31 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
TP gives you XP, accelerates shipments.

the reason i would some times choose it over market is because faster shipments is more versatile than faster gather rate, and TP pay back is faster than market, especially when you consider getting market upgrades means your res shipments will worth less.

the downside is as game goes on the shipment acceleration you gain from TP will slow down. and TP can be destroyed if it is in the middle of the map.
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 06-06-09 00:58 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
i can see your reason for going tp if doing an FF for powerful shipments, but for colonial warfare won't a market be better than a TP? It gives a stronger eco than a tp but less shipments, but IMO colonial shipments still come relatively fast with colonial warfare early on.
I think hunting dogs is like 15% increase on hunts? so if you have ~8 CdB on hunts which is about 10 regular villagers so getting the 15% on that is 1.5 villagers boost now if you get lumber upgrade that's another 1.5 villager boost so getting both discovery upgrades is like a free 3 villagers and furthermore it stacks as you get more vills.

QUACK
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 06-06-09 07:22 AM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
i am pretty sure all three first upgrades are only 10%.

faster shipment can be good for colonial the same way it benefits FF, difference being you mostly get res shipment, which when used, generates more XP for more shipments.

and if you play Vanilla FP, getting upgrade cards early can also provide quite a significant boost
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames