You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Treaty Discussions

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Treaty Discussions » Countering French Gendarme Spams
Bottom
Topic Subject:Countering French Gendarme Spams
zimecki
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-07 04:08 PM EDT (US)         
Using the Dutch and Russians as my primary treaty civs, I'm never able to effectively counter a French Gendarme spam. As Dutch, I usually go halb + ruyter (fully upgraded), and as Russian, I usually go cav archer + halb (fully upgraded) combo. Neither of these combinations does the job. Would introducing some artillery do the job, or are these civs themselves just impotent in the face of the French?

Another thing that I find is that, with every high-levelled French treaty player, their almost never close to running out of gold. In my experience with the French in treaty games, I've allocated 40 villagers on coin and 40 on food, had a factory configured to coin production, and made several costy upgrades for villager production on plantations and mills, yet I've run out of coin eventually. Granted, I'm not a high-levelled French player, so I'm likely to be lacking a number of cards for boosting villager production. So, my question is, which cards specifically might I get to be in the same comfortable position as the numerous French players who can spam armies and armies of Gendarmes w/o depleting their coin reserves.

In my most recent game, I setup 10 banks (w/ tulip speculation) and configured 2 factories to coin production, yet my French opponent (w/ 2 factories and 4 plantations), surpassed me in coin production by a big factor. This is what leads me to suspect that there must be some important cards that considerably boost villager production, allowing a French player to research spies in a 2v2, field a constant number of Gendarmes, and still not be even close to lacking gold.
AuthorReplies:
Sjiniet
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-07 04:55 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
Sorry to be the one breaking the bubble here , but dutch r no were near a treaty civ . i have a friend who uses dutch as a treaty civ and he also runs out of coin . the thing is you need more coin so make plants , simple as that.

Now on the cuir problem
as a russian you might have a chance , you have to play ur own game ; fort hop and whatnot ...

as for the dutchies its gg anyway , try building down from treaty 40 to 30 to 20 to 10 to supremacy , where skill matters (more) , not just civ ...

Again sorry to break the bubble
zimecki
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-07 05:42 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
The main reason why I use the Dutch for treaty is to level up my Dutch home city, so I don't go into NR supremacy with shitty cards. I haven't been deluding myself that the Dutch are a good civ for treaty, so no bubble has really been broken. That's not to say the Dutch are terrible, given their 150 military population to compensate for their not-so-special military units. This can work quite favourably for the Dutch, so long as they can meet the coin demands and counter strong units (ie., Gendarmes). I'll stick to my Ruyter + Halb combo, while introducing some falconets, unless anyone has any better suggestions for taking down Gendarmes w/ the Dutch.
the thing is you need more coin so make plants , simple as that.
Yeah. I'm thinking of making 4 mills and 4 plantations, and alternating my villagers between them, on the basis of need. But that wasn't really so much of a concern as was my interest in how a French player can surpass a Dutch player in coin production w/ only 4 plantations and 2 factories. What home city shipments make it possible (economic theory, all the plantation upgrades)?
Sjiniet
Skirmisher
posted 07-23-07 07:18 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
they do not surpass you (hard)in economy/gold but in military units , you cant stop a gendarm spam with no great rc , the nassauers r quite good but still insufficient
NATron
Skirmisher
posted 07-23-07 02:42 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
I personally think the Russians have it alot worse late-game, since they have those crappy cavalry archers. I guess they tend to make it up with instant halberds, though.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I heard distant forests all the time - CunniJA
I found my Jabra!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames