Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Ask Sandy XXIV
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ask Sandy XXIV
« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7 8 9  Next Page »
SandyMan
VIP
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 10-19-09 01:52 PM EDT (US)         
the latest incarnation of Ask Sandy. All questions are possible.

1) Who is Sandy?
A) Sandy Petersen, a designer at former Ensemble Studios. He was design lead on Rise of Rome, The Conquerors, and the Warchiefs. He was part of the design team on Age of Emipres II and Age of Empires III. He has worked on numerous other games, and has been in the digital game industry since 1988.

2) What is Sandy doing now?
A) He teaches game design at The Guildhall at Southern Methodist University.

3) What are Robot / Bonfire up to?
A) Sandy will not answer ANY questions about Robot or Bonfire's plans -- he knows and likes the people who work there, and wishes them well. They deserve the right to make their own press releases.
AuthorReplies:
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-21-10 10:05 PM EDT (US)     151 / 238       
*is mortified*

Lemme try that again:

Is there any feasible way for a Dutch player, in a 40 minute no blockade treaty map, to defend against an onslaught of British Hussars and Redcoat Musketeers, AND Japanese Ashigaru Muskies and Samurai when the clock runs out?
Dont play ****ing treaty ofc. And if they play british in treaty they are stupid. Treaty has only these civs to play.

Germans, French, Ports, Japan.

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-21-10 10:10 PM EDT (US)     152 / 238       
russia, china, spain?

QUACK
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-21-10 11:27 PM EDT (US)     153 / 238       
Forgot russia my bad....

China, 2, spain, hell no. This is nr 40 were talking about here...

when the f|_|ck did they block f|_|ck xD. that is quite odd imo. Politeness and politically correct words can suck a big one hth.

DISTISOP

dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 01-22-10 03:47 PM EDT (US)     154 / 238       
Cheap Plastic Rosary
Skirmisher
(id: D0ct0r Wh0)
posted 01-22-10 05:06 PM EDT (US)     155 / 238       
Dont play ****ing treaty ofc. And if they play british in treaty they are stupid. Treaty has only these civs to play.

Japan I can understand (Shrines providing an almost infinite economy beyond your villies), and French with their god-like cavalry cuirassers,

but then why Germany (with its slow economy) and Portugal, and why not any of the rest of them?

...[T]he least initial deviation from the truth is multiplied later a thousandfold. -Aristotle, De Caelo

On the lips of the catechist the first proclamation must ring out over and over: “Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you; and now he is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen and free you.” - Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel

Call me out if I fail or seem to fail to live up to either of these. Either I will learn something, you will learn something, or we both will.
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-22-10 05:09 PM EDT (US)     156 / 238       
^^ it's ok, mario's just confused

and @ mario, you realize spain can get muskets doing 100 ranged damage in treaty right?

QUACK
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-22-10 11:57 PM EDT (US)     157 / 238       
but then why Germany (with its slow economy) and Portugal, and why not any of the rest of them?
Germany has a slow treaty economy??? WTF where are you jackal xD. If you say they have a bad eco for treaty, your either insane, unaware they can get the equivalent of 140 vils and 2 factories, with tons of econ cards, and the best cost effective 1 vs 1 unit (dopplesoldner), or not even a real treaty player...

China is not OP in treaty. For treaty there units are just par. They are about as good as dutch in treaty imo.
and @ mario, you realize spain can get muskets doing 100 ranged damage in treaty right?
Yes yes, we all no about spains unction. But why do you think more people use the civs i mentioned over china/spain, its cause they just arent as good, econ will slow down compared to others, and despite what you think, missionaries cost pop. You really support someone who thinks German's treaty economy is slow over me, where i put rational behind my arguements...

Heck why are we arguing about treaty just because someone with no clue about the game mentions losing to ppl who use brits in treaty...

DISTISOP

Cheap Plastic Rosary
Skirmisher
posted 01-23-10 01:51 AM EDT (US)     158 / 238       
Dude, chill.

It's just a game. I could be playing Team Fortress 2 or Civilization if I wanted to rather than having to put up with people who LIVE in AO3.

There's a lot of people like that; there are.

Speaking of which,

Sandy, sir:

1) Have you ever played Team Fortress 2? If so, who is your favourite character?

2) If you play AO3 (which I'm sure you prbably have), what civ do you use the most, and in what conditions (treaties etc)?

...[T]he least initial deviation from the truth is multiplied later a thousandfold. -Aristotle, De Caelo

On the lips of the catechist the first proclamation must ring out over and over: “Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you; and now he is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen and free you.” - Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel

Call me out if I fail or seem to fail to live up to either of these. Either I will learn something, you will learn something, or we both will.

[This message has been edited by D0CT0R WH0 (edited 01-23-2010 @ 01:52 AM).]

Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-23-10 08:43 AM EDT (US)     159 / 238       
Im just saying dont whine about treaty without getting your facts straight. I really dont live in AoE 3.

DISTISOP

dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 01-23-10 08:45 AM EDT (US)     160 / 238       
Mario, you get your facts straight. China is OP in treaty. 119 villagers, 100 military pop, 2 factories, quick training units, old han reforms, livestock boom, team engineering school, etc.
DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 01-23-10 03:35 PM EDT (US)     161 / 238       
And russia is OP as well with fort hop+ instant inf, and brits are pretty good
And german eco is good, but at the cost of pop.
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-23-10 11:04 PM EDT (US)     162 / 238       
Brits are again at the level of dutch. They are only nice cuz of their boom, but their eco gradually balances out and during then the OP civs beat them.

And I played a major general (PR 42) in twc epic time ago, in treaty for the heck of it, named playin chicks. Got absolutely raped (less than an hour), and i asked him what were the best civs to use (i was quite clueless back then was a private who randomly joined an unrated game) he said germans, ports, french, russia and japan in 2 vs 2. I was germans and i got raped by his russia. He did not say anything about china or spain, and i do believe he knows more than you guys about treaty. He also taught me how to do speed dopples XD.

DISTISOP

Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-23-10 11:06 PM EDT (US)     163 / 238       
Oh and germans you delete 40 vils after treaty finishes (so not really pop ineffective), but those extra vils leave you tons more than your opponent, and eventually when they dry out, you usually win, cuz you have thousands and thousands of res more.

DISTISOP

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-23-10 11:25 PM EDT (US)     164 / 238       
Brits are again at the level of dutch. They are only nice cuz of their boom, but their eco gradually balances out and during then the OP civs beat them.
brits eco>>>>dutch eco, additionally brits have a great lifestock boom which rocks.
And I played a major general (PR 42) in twc epic time ago, in treaty for the heck of it, named playin chicks. Got absolutely raped (less than an hour), and i asked him what were the best civs to use (i was quite clueless back then was a private who randomly joined an unrated game) he said germans, ports, french, russia and japan in 2 vs 2. I was germans and i got raped by his russia. He did not say anything about china or spain, and i do believe he knows more than you guys about treaty. He also taught me how to do speed dopples XD.
TWC... you realize temerit (a TAD captain) did beat that person you're talking about.
Wait so you were playing on TWC and he said to use japan...? Sounds a bit fishy to me...
Oh and germans you delete 40 vils after treaty finishes (so not really pop ineffective), but those extra vils leave you tons more than your opponent, and eventually when they dry out, you usually win, cuz you have thousands and thousands of res more.
China eco>german eco in treaty. You constantly can kee 119 villagers and also can lifestock boom really well from your villages. Additionally old han reforms gives such an OP army Old han CKN with x3 vs cav take down dopples so fast with a qiang meatshield

Spain is a bit iffy, they aren't OP, but are perfectly playable as are brits

QUACK

[This message has been edited by crazyLUNATIC (edited 01-23-2010 @ 11:27 PM).]

DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 00:01 AM EDT (US)     165 / 238       
IIRC playinchicks is a n00b basher nub who sucks.
He's always hosting games and vsing privates
Might be wrong though.
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 09:47 AM EDT (US)     166 / 238       
TWC... you realize temerit (a TAD captain) did beat that person you're talking about.
Wait so you were playing on TWC and he said to use japan...? Sounds a bit fishy to me...
I swear he was talking about japan too... He has TAD but chooses to TWC lame. I remember that clearly.
IIRC playinchicks is a n00b basher nub who sucks.
He's always hosting games and vsing privates
Might be wrong though.
well unless temerit is much better than he is in reg gaming, i cant see him beating playing chicks... Ive played Temerit 1 vs 1 and him at treaty, not necessarily same thing but i could kinda gauge the playing ability, and he is better. And vs privates would take like 50 something games to rank up, and i doubt he has that much time on his hands to spend 50 hrs just to rank
China eco>german eco in treaty. You constantly can kee 119 villagers and also can lifestock boom really well from your villages. Additionally old han reforms gives such an OP army Old han CKN with x3 vs cav take down dopples so fast with a qiang meatshield
And old han still loses to cannons, dont just assume cuz they have OP HI that they will use it. Their cannons are just fine and will rip apart full in, just need WW+Cannon and not much china can do vs that, and will get cost effectively thrashed. Nearly impossible for a china person to pick off the cannons as they're shrowded in WW's.
Spain is a bit iffy, they aren't OP, but are perfectly playable as are brits
Never said anything about not playable, just nothing to complain about, only civs that are truly not playable are ottos, iros, and sioux. All of those, brits, spain, dutch, azzies go under iffy category.

DISTISOP

DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 02:15 PM EDT (US)     167 / 238       
Iros are fine...
Ever hear of a player named goodspeed?
well unless temerit is much better than he is in reg gaming, i cant see him beating playing chicks... Ive played Temerit 1 vs 1 and him at treaty, not necessarily same thing but i could kinda gauge the playing ability, and he is better. And vs privates would take like 50 something games to rank up, and i doubt he has that much time on his hands to spend 50 hrs just to rank
A. Temerit already beat him
B. Sadly, he does play vs privates, corps ect in 2v2 with a pr 3X friend
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 07:02 PM EDT (US)     168 / 238       
Is the game recced??? id like to watch. But ofc not the 40 min of lameness xD. And if he does play vs privates he sure has alllllloot of time on his hands xD. Again I dont know him very well, only played one game vs him like 8 months ago, on the first month i started playing again, so if he does do that, mehh i had no clue.

DISTISOP

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-24-10 07:11 PM EDT (US)     169 / 238       
And old han still loses to cannons, dont just assume cuz they have OP HI that they will use it. Their cannons are just fine and will rip apart full in, just need WW+Cannon and not much china can do vs that, and will get cost effectively thrashed. Nearly impossible for a china person to pick off the cannons as they're shrowded in WW's.
chinese cav is OP late game also. They have nearly .5 RR so can stay alive long enough to smack some cannons down (especially since MH attack from range). Not to mention hand mortars also dominate cannons.
And germany doesn't have the best cannons while china does have team artillery training school.
Don't forget that both CKN and arquebusier are the only *LI that have x3 vs ranged cav!
tem beat him in nr10 and that's what he seems to play often. Additionally he didn't want to play me+duck in 2v2 nr 10...
I swear he was talking about japan too... He has TAD but chooses to TWC lame. I remember that clearly.
Well that clearly means that he wasn't that great at that time otherwise he would've played on TAD instead of noob bashing on TWC....
Never said anything about not playable, just nothing to complain about, only civs that are truly not playable are ottos, iros, and sioux. All of those, brits, spain, dutch, azzies go under iffy category.
Iroquois is not playable!? GS did break 3K score with them in treaty 40 lol. Iro have uber eco with 119 vills and great lifestock boom. Sioux is actually pretty good in treaty wakina doing 100+ damage is pretty good also dogsoldier box doing 200+siege damage can break into your base in seconds

QUACK

[This message has been edited by crazyLUNATIC (edited 01-24-2010 @ 07:17 PM).]

Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 07:37 PM EDT (US)     170 / 238       
Iroquois is not playable!? GS did break 3K score with them in treaty 40 lol. Iro have uber eco with 119 vills and great lifestock boom. Sioux is actually pretty good in treaty wakina doing 100+ damage is pretty good also dogsoldier box doing 200+siege damage can break into your base in seconds
Clearly anyone who loses to sioux has never heard of hitting eco and laming 1XX layers of walls, musk/rc behind walls, and fire. Sioux with the lack of cannons/walls makes them suck in treaty, and teepees are very limited (you put them up front, they hit your base). Iros are not very good in treaty, under par musk-type is one of the big reasons. Musk riders/kanya/FP are perfectly fine tho, but again just because a great player wins a game doesnt mean they are good. If a normal treaty player plays with them, most of the time they will lose.

Few things to consider when discussing treaty.

1. almost all nubs/very bored nubs, prob dont even know how to get the 119 vils xD
2. most ppl dont know how to do jack besides clicking on the make cuirs button
3. GS is a supremacy player not a treaty player. A supremacy player is the equivalent of hax against treaty players

DISTISOP

DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 08:55 PM EDT (US)     171 / 238       
Iros can be good at treaty, it's just that it requires skills.
And souix have no walls, but are good in team I *think*.
Cheap Plastic Rosary
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 11:31 PM EDT (US)     172 / 238       
119 villies?!

How, I ask, how?

DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 01-24-10 11:36 PM EDT (US)     173 / 238       
Teutonic Twit
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-25-10 00:14 AM EDT (US)     174 / 238       
Fully upgrade your houses/villages.
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-10 11:42 AM EDT (US)     175 / 238       
119 villies?!

How, I ask, how?