Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Ask Sandy XXIV
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ask Sandy XXIV
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7  Next Page »
SandyMan
VIP
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 10-19-09 01:52 PM EDT (US)         
the latest incarnation of Ask Sandy. All questions are possible.

1) Who is Sandy?
A) Sandy Petersen, a designer at former Ensemble Studios. He was design lead on Rise of Rome, The Conquerors, and the Warchiefs. He was part of the design team on Age of Emipres II and Age of Empires III. He has worked on numerous other games, and has been in the digital game industry since 1988.

2) What is Sandy doing now?
A) He teaches game design at The Guildhall at Southern Methodist University.

3) What are Robot / Bonfire up to?
A) Sandy will not answer ANY questions about Robot or Bonfire's plans -- he knows and likes the people who work there, and wishes them well. They deserve the right to make their own press releases.
AuthorReplies:
SandyMan
VIP
posted 12-18-09 11:56 AM EDT (US)     101 / 238       
1)i'm sorry you aren't working on the next RE's project.
A)I am very happy with my current job of training future game developers – seriously, it’s like I’m creating a whole crew of little Sandy Petersens to go out into the industry and wreak havoc. At least I inculcate a modicum of my beliefs into the poor guys. And the team Robot has working on their next game is an excellent one. I have great faith in them.

2)I've played Warcraft 3 (again) recently, and noticed how much I'd love AoE3 to have a similar hero system. Do you think this would have been a good addition?
A)NO. Warcraft gets away with it, and the significant micro-management it adds, because their army size is very small. Our armies are much bigger. We do have a sort of hero anyway in the explorer/warchief, but I’m sure you’ve noticed that as the army size grows in Age, you stop worrying about him, and just focus on the army. Leaving your poor wounded explorer in agony on the field for the rest of the game, you cad.

3)Was the AI neglected intentionally to encourage people to play online?
A)Of course not.

4)Global warming. Yes/no?
A)Over the last century, global temperatures have increased about a degree Celsius (though we’re now entering a cooling spell). So there is a degree of warming. However, Mars’ icecaps are melting, indicating that Mars has been undergoing a warming period as well. Since there are no Republicans on Mars, the obvious conclusion is that whatever degree of warming we are undergoing is, in fact, NOT caused by human action. So perhaps we should not destroy our economies in order to “fix” something we’re not causing.
In other news, the United States has been reforesting over the last century. This means that, if you give credence to carbon credits, the USA’s forests absorb about 2/3 of the carbon dioxide that our industries produce, which means that the USA, on a net basis, is one of the lowest emitters of CO2 of any industrial nation on the planet. Why don’t we hear about this? Well – Europe and Japan can’t reforest, so they don’t want to draw attention to this fact. And US environmentalists (whom I sympathize with on many matters) have their own agenda to drive.
5)Just curious, do Mormons recognize Catholic saints, or those of other branches of Christianity?
A)Mormons use the term “saint” the way it was used in the early Christian church (and the way it was used in Paul’s writings) – it simply was a term to refer to individual Christians. So when Mormons talk about “the saints”, we are just talking about the members of our faith. That said, Mormons believe that God speaks to humanity in any way He can in every age, and I personally have no reason to doubt Joan’s miraculous visions. We do not, however, believe in the doctrine of supererogation.

6)in the former ask sandyman at the Age of Kings Heaven you once listed what you believed were the best tank commanders (or possibly any sort of commanders) of WWII.
A)Here is a partial listing: USA: Abrams, Patton; France: DeGaulle, LeClerc; Germany: Guderian, Kurt “Panzer” Meyer, Rommel; Russia: Konev, Rokossovsky; Britain: Horrocks. None of these names are particularly controversial. Note by the way that I am NOT defending “Panzer” Meyer’s personality or war crimes. The man was a monster. But he was a good tank commander.

7)What is this god you speak of?
a)The one who made you and I, and resides in His heaven watching over your life every second even today.

8)how do you feel about using games, especially computer games, to introduce ideas about religion? Should religious groups embrace high-end, mainstream blockbuster level games as a way to increase awareness of their beliefs and model ethical and moral application of these beliefs?
a)I don’t see why they, among all facets of society, should be prevented from exploring their beliefs in this way. That said I have not seen it done successfully yet.

9)How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
A)He’d chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

10)I think it would have been much more interesting if every religion grants a bonus and a penalty.
A)I STRONGLY agree. However, it’s tough to portray modern religions in games.

11)part of my job as scenario designer and developer is to test storylines for campaign or RPG potential. The Joseph Smith story has all the makings of a great RPG adventure
A)And in fact was turned into a pretty good series of fantasy novels by Orson Scott Card (Seventh Son, etc.”

12)Boxers or Briefs?
A)Commando

13)In our school, to get your semester grade, 1st quarter grade is 40%, 2nd quarter grade is 40%, and semester exam is 20%. If I got a 91% 1st quarter and a 93% 2nd quarter, what percentage do I need to get in my semester exam to get at least a 90% for the semester?
A)Go to your professor and offer him a percentage of 10% of your salary at McDonalds for the next month, and he will give you a 90% grade for the semester.

14)there certainly are a lot of Sandys in the world today
A)BOW BEFORE OUR MIGHT!
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 12-18-09 02:15 PM EDT (US)     102 / 238       
There are two noticeable flaws/limitations that stand out in AOE3 (at least in my opinion).
1) Units can shoot through walls, buildings, and even through hills.
2) The inability to place units on walls.

Did the designers have any issue with that?
Did you have any reservations about that?
What was the reason these issues were not address/solved?
Do you think the next Age game should/will fix that?

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 12-18-2009 @ 02:16 PM).]

Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 12-18-09 03:59 PM EDT (US)     103 / 238       
a)The one who made you and I, and resides in His heaven watching over your life every second even today.
Not trying to offend anyone of any religion, but something I often like to ask people of faith. Prove it!!!

Again, me being atheist does not say that their isn't a creating organism/thing (which ofc there is), but that it has no control over us whatsoever, and isnt looking down on us from a "heaven". The only heaven I'll acknowledge is the one im posting on atm

Also for global warming, ofc many people are blowing it way out of proportion. But there is much evidence which proves that we humans are altering the climate, by eliminating the rainforest and polluting. I don't believe we are affecting it to the point that it will hurt us any time in the next century or so, but if we continue our rate of growth, in the next 500+ years or so some severe thing wil happene to this planers

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
jds2012
Skirmisher
posted 12-18-09 06:20 PM EDT (US)     104 / 238       
Actually, global warming (if it exists) won't hurt any humans for centuries. The problem in the foreseeable future is the lack of drinking water. Only like 5% of all the earth's water is drinkable, and the majority of that is in the ice caps, leaving something like 1%. In the past, there have been wars fought over control of oil. It is almost certain that in the relatively near future, many more wars will be fought over control of drinkable water.

Of course, if global warming is real and speeds up soon, it may melt enough of the ice caps to make a lot more drinkable water, but coastal cities like New Orleans will be screwed.

Keep him from expanding. Keep him scared. Keep him making the wrong type of troops. Control the game, don't react to it.
-Ender_Ward
No_nickname
Skirmisher
posted 12-18-09 07:20 PM EDT (US)     105 / 238       
Prove it!!!
+1

Check out my YouTube channel for AoEO videos!
ESO2: No_nickname | AoEO: NoNick331
"anything less than 40 hours is nub men, me i go for like 76 hours the best as i can get to imp in 14 mins then go on holiday for 2 days then come back and make some mil or w/e" - bloodoats
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 12-18-09 11:55 PM EDT (US)     106 / 238       
but something I often like to ask people of faith. Prove it!!!
If you could prove it, it wouldn’t be called faith, would it?
Teutonic Twit
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-19-09 00:24 AM EDT (US)     107 / 238       
You younger people, wait til you are 30+ something, and have a real "life" education, ask those questions again.

"The greatest teacher in life is experience"

[This message has been edited by Teutonic Twit (edited 12-19-2009 @ 00:32 AM).]

superayush
Skirmisher
posted 12-19-09 01:54 AM EDT (US)     108 / 238       
i know it might be op but should Aztec jaguar prowl knights
be given 1 area damage?cost increase is acceptable

"when starting a war it is not what right that matters but
victory"
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 12-19-09 08:07 AM EDT (US)     109 / 238       
Of course, if global warming is real and speeds up soon, it may melt enough of the ice caps to make a lot more drinkable water, but coastal cities like New Orleans will be screwed.
Worst part is that civilization has always been situated around water, so most of everything is around water. If it does flood, well lose denmark/Netherlands, maldives, sri lanka, Philippines, taiwan, south africa, nigeria, argentina (the lower elevation part, such as buenos aires), and everywhere on the sides of the US. This is not in a thousand years, but probably around the next 350 years, assuming our trend of growth is consistant. Not only are we going through a warm cycle, humans are making it allot worse.

DISTISOP

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-09 04:25 PM EDT (US)     110 / 238       
Can God create a rock from nothing?
If the answer was yes, can he create a very, very big rock?
If the answer was yes, can he create a rock so big, that not even him could lift?

Now tell me, is God omnipotent?
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-09 04:27 PM EDT (US)     111 / 238       
If the ice melt, the water they give won't be drinkable, since it will then be part of the ocean, and become salt water.
jds2012
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-09 05:30 PM EDT (US)     112 / 238       
If the ice melt, the water they give won't be drinkable, since it will then be part of the ocean, and become salt water.
So basically, we're screwed either way. There should be an Age of Empires about that

Keep him from expanding. Keep him scared. Keep him making the wrong type of troops. Control the game, don't react to it.
-Ender_Ward
SandyMan
VIP
posted 12-21-09 05:45 PM EDT (US)     113 / 238       
1)There are two noticeable flaws/limitations that stand out in AOE3 (at least in my opinion). First, units can shoot through walls, buildings, and even through hills. Second, the inability to place units on walls.
A)The entire game is a synthesis of reality. It’s not realistic to build walls or towers over the course of a few seconds, and it’s not realistic to have more soldiers in your military than civilians back home, and it’s not realistic to have soldiers cost food only before they are trained, and then never again. If units couldn’t shoot through walls in AoE, and if you could put units on walls, then the defense would be unrealistically preponderant in the game. Would that be fun? We’d have to alter the game so that walls took more time to build and cost fantastically more. Would that be fun? The real answer is, maybe it would But we wanted a shorter, less defensive-oriented game, so for better or worse made this decision.

2)something I often like to ask people of faith. Prove it!!!
A)Just look around you. The natural laws of the universe, from the nature of gravity; to the seemingly arbitrary rules for valence states of electrons, which make chemistry so complex and fascinating; to the simple elegance of Darwinian selection, all make complex life possible. If the strong atomic force was a trillionth weaker, only hydrogen would exist. If the fusion of deuterium absorbed energy or was energy-neutral, as is the case for so many elements, solar energy, which powers all life, could not exist. The universe’s natural laws are designed from the ground-up to permit the development and thriving of complex life.

It is trivial to imagine a universe with natural laws that permit the existence only of sheets of energy or random particles. In fact, it is simple to imagine an INFINITY of such universes, differentiated only by variations in their laws. But we don’t live in such a universe – we live in one in which everything from subatomic physics to cosmicology work together to permit, even encourage our existence. It is a case of an infinity vs. one. I'll take those odds any day.

3)Now tell me, is God omnipotent?
A)Certainly. He can do anything that is possible to do. He can’t make a married bachelor, however, because such a thing is inconceivable and impossible. The old attempt to create a paradox by using the "irresistable force vs. the immovable object" fails, because the very words being used contradict one another. If there exists an irresistable force, then there can be no such thing as an immovable object, and vice versa.
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-09 07:59 PM EDT (US)     114 / 238       
The universe as we know it has existed forever, so atoms and all have had forever literally to develop and what not

DISTISOP

jds2012
Skirmisher
posted 12-22-09 11:10 AM EDT (US)     115 / 238       
What other classes would you recommend to someone who wanted to be a video game designer?

-Ender_Ward
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 12-22-09 03:17 PM EDT (US)     116 / 238       
If God is omnipotent, it means that he can do whatever he wants.
If there is something "impossible" for him, then he is not omnipotent.
"Omnipotence" doesn't mean he can do "whatever possible", but that he simply can do "whatever", because the very definiton of omnipotence means that there is no such thing as something impossible to accomplish.

Therefore, Sandy, God is not omnipotent. Now, why call him "God"?
jds2012
Skirmisher
posted 12-22-09 10:43 PM EDT (US)     117 / 238       
By definition, there cannot be both an unmovable object, and an unstoppable force. The fact that God cannot do something that is by it's very nature an impossible feat, proves nothing.

And if you doubt that God exists...
Did you know that if the earth were 1 cm. closer to the sun, all life on the planet would burn up?
And did you further know, that if the Earth were 1 cm further away from the sun, all life on earth would freeze?

Now tell me, what are the odds that something like that could happen just out of random chance. Again, the odds are something like one in infinity. Now, I'm not a betting man, but I would certainly take those odds any day

-Ender_Ward
beekay
Skirmisher
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 12-22-09 11:24 PM EDT (US)     118 / 238       
Not to derail the thread any further, because there's a thread for it in the Saloon now, but:
Did you know that if the earth were 1 cm. closer to the sun, all life on the planet would burn up?
And did you further know, that if the Earth were 1 cm further away from the sun, all life on earth would freeze?
The Earth's distance from the Sun varies significantly over the course of its orbit; we move elliptically, not in a perfect circle. If this was true, we'd freeze and burn four times every year.

And forgive me for not being overwhelmed that life developed in a universe capable of sustaining it. It only seems amazing that we were the lucky ones who got the right universe because, if we didn't get the right universe, we would never have existed to contemplate this. Life will only ever develop on these 'incredible super suited planets' because that's the only place it can develop.

sig

[This message has been edited by beekay (edited 12-22-2009 @ 11:30 PM).]

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 12-23-09 11:08 AM EDT (US)     119 / 238       
The Earth's distance from the Sun varies significantly over the course of its orbit; we move elliptically, not in a perfect circle. If this was true, we'd freeze and burn four times every year.

And forgive me for not being overwhelmed that life developed in a universe capable of sustaining it. It only seems amazing that we were the lucky ones who got the right universe because, if we didn't get the right universe, we would never have existed to contemplate this. Life will only ever develop on these 'incredible super suited planets' because that's the only place it can develop.
That, exactly.

Maybe the chance that a planets meets the right conditions to sustain life are.. 1 in 100? or maybe 1 in 1000000? or maybe even more.
The thing is, you know how much planets there are? millions of planets, so it's not crazy to think that one of those met the right conditions to sustain life, without any external "god" force to accomplish it.

And don't come saying "oh, and what are the odds we would be born in a planet like this?", well, you simply can't be born in a planet where there is no life, but you can on a planet like ours.
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 12-23-09 05:44 PM EDT (US)     120 / 238       
Can you guys keep the theological debates out of this thread please? Theres one down in the Saloon if you would like to argue your points.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 12-23-09 05:56 PM EDT (US)     121 / 238       
Now tell me, what are the odds that something like that could happen just out of random chance. Again, the odds are something like one in infinity. Now, I'm not a betting man, but I would certainly take those odds any day
Sighes. There are billions of stars in our galaxy alone, which means there are even more billions of planets accompanying these stars. Now, there are billions, even trillion amounts of galaxies, allot much larger than ours. Now the chance that not 1 of them had suitable conditions of life, is not likely at all. What makes the earth so special that it needs a creator to control it. The universe has been expanding for as long as we can call "forever" and the chance in all that time that not even 1 planet has the condition is a fraction so small its not even worth mentioning.
The thing is, you know how much planets there are? millions of planets
Eicho dont not try to prove my point by saying something stupid like that. There are billions of planets in this galaxy alone. Not millions in the universe Xd

Kiv i got a better idea, move ask sandy to the saloon

DISTISOP

[This message has been edited by Mariomasta RJK (edited 12-23-2009 @ 05:57 PM).]

Ha_Luke
Sig Award Winner
posted 12-23-09 06:12 PM EDT (US)     122 / 238       
Maybe the chance that a planets meets the right conditions to sustain life are.. 1 in 100? or maybe 1 in 1000000? or maybe even more.
Lol, the chances that a planet meets the right conditions are way lower than that.

And even if a planet meets the right conditions to sustain life there's a very very small chance that life will initiated. The chances of that happening are maybe even smaller than the chances of finding s suitable planet.

This doesn't mean I believe in God btw.

Srry Sandy and Kiv for the off topic post

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
[TΣ]_Ha_Luke_331

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
-Voltaire
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. " - Plato
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 12-23-09 06:18 PM EDT (US)     123 / 238       
Srsly. Go take this up elsewhere.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 12-23-09 06:20 PM EDT (US)     124 / 238       

[This message has been edited by LordKivlov (edited 12-23-2009 @ 07:11 PM).]

Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 12-23-09 06:25 PM EDT (US)     125 / 238       
there is no topic here luke, thats been the whole point of ask sandy. If i am correct, sandy just gets us thinking, about age of empires, about history, and about life in general. Thats his threads purpose, for intellectual questions and arguements

DISTISOP

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames