Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Ask Sandy XXIV
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ask Sandy XXIV
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
SandyMan
VIP
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 10-19-09 01:52 PM EDT (US)         
the latest incarnation of Ask Sandy. All questions are possible.

1) Who is Sandy?
A) Sandy Petersen, a designer at former Ensemble Studios. He was design lead on Rise of Rome, The Conquerors, and the Warchiefs. He was part of the design team on Age of Emipres II and Age of Empires III. He has worked on numerous other games, and has been in the digital game industry since 1988.

2) What is Sandy doing now?
A) He teaches game design at The Guildhall at Southern Methodist University.

3) What are Robot / Bonfire up to?
A) Sandy will not answer ANY questions about Robot or Bonfire's plans -- he knows and likes the people who work there, and wishes them well. They deserve the right to make their own press releases.
AuthorReplies:
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-10 11:42 AM EDT (US)     176 / 238       

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 01-25-10 08:51 PM EDT (US)     177 / 238       
My point exactly :P
Dr.Who is a relatively new player and I don't believe he even plays treaty so it is not fair saying that most treaty players don't know how to get 119 vills with iroquois. On the contrary almost all capable treaty players will know this.

As for your argument that treaty players suck, that is completely wrong as well. Although treaty doesn't require as much micro as supremacy you do need different skills. TBH I can see you getting beaten by master sgt treaty players...

QUACK
Cheap Plastic Rosary
Skirmisher
(id: D0ct0r Wh0)
posted 01-26-10 03:22 PM EDT (US)     178 / 238       
Oh, I've been playing treaties for some time now.

But there is still a lot I don't know (which apparently gets me pwned often). But I didn't know that the 119 villies thing only applied to certain civvies (Iroquois, if I read correctly?).

Besides, even if I COULD do that, I ususally play Dutch and can only get 50 initially.

...[T]he least initial deviation from the truth is multiplied later a thousandfold. -Aristotle, De Caelo

On the lips of the catechist the first proclamation must ring out over and over: “Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you; and now he is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen and free you.” - Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel

Call me out if I fail or seem to fail to live up to either of these. Either I will learn something, you will learn something, or we both will.
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-26-10 03:49 PM EDT (US)     179 / 238       
Dr.Who is a relatively new player and I don't believe he even plays treaty so it is not fair saying that most treaty players don't know how to get 119 vills with iroquois. On the contrary almost all capable treaty players will know this.

As for your argument that treaty players suck, that is completely wrong as well. Although treaty doesn't require as much micro as supremacy you do need different skills. TBH I can see you getting beaten by master sgt treaty players...
The TOP OP Strats
First as he stated, he does play treaty. Second, i assure you 2/3s of all treaty only players behind the MS level do not even have an iro HC, and if they do it has never been used for >3 games

Maybe id lose in 40 min treaty to a MS (cuz my cards are terrible for treaty, only eco cards i have are refrigeration, eco theory, and royal mint), but i beat a 2nd lieutenant in 10 min treaty, when i was really bored, and no1 was joining unrated 1 vs 1. With ease TBH (otto defensive FR/water boom). First game i played vs a corp (PR 12) in 10 min treaty, and tbh morgoth played better vs me than that guy, and hes a conscript.

And as of this date i have never completed a 40 min treaty game on TAD (most of the time stopped at the hour mark), it really is one of the most boring situations you can ever be in.

DISTISOP

[This message has been edited by Mariomasta RJK (edited 01-26-2010 @ 03:52 PM).]

Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 01-26-10 03:55 PM EDT (US)     180 / 238       
Ive never played spain at all outside of skirmish. Does that mean I know nothing about Spain??? no. Feel free to check my HC

DISTISOP

dOPplesaurus
Skirmisher
posted 01-26-10 04:19 PM EDT (US)     181 / 238       
Krakenbits
Skirmisher
posted 01-29-10 06:24 PM EDT (US)     182 / 238       
Since about a page was wasted already, I think I'll get back to the actual point of this thread: asking Sandy questions.

Q: After the War Chiefs was released, what factored in to you guys deciding to release a Y-pack for the first time? Was there any brainstorming or other ideas for the Y-pack, if so, what were they, and why were they scrapped?

Q: Was there ever any question as to what civs would be playable in the Asian Dynasties (as all 3 are very unique to one another), or were civs like Siam and Korea thrown around for a while before making any final decisions?

Q: After The Asian Dynasties, or even before or during its development, was there an African x-pack ever planned? If you still could release an African x-pack, what three civs would you want to be playable, and what would some of their attributes be?
SandyMan
VIP
posted 02-01-10 11:09 AM EDT (US)     183 / 238       
1)In AOE, the computer villagers actively hunt elephants for food. However, in ROR, the villagers do not do this.
A)The problem was that in AoE, the villagers would attack elephants on their own, without being commanded to do so. Then they would get killed and you’d scroll back to your home town to see a pile of dead. So in RoR, we changed it so you had to actively command villies to attack an elephant. I am sorry this does not suit your play style as well.

2)Is there any feasible way for a Dutch player, in a 40 minute no blockade treaty map, to defend against an onslaught of British Hussars and Redcoat Musketeers, AND Japanese Ashigaru Muskies and Samurai when the clock runs out?
A)Not every civ is gong to be equally able to win against any combination of enemies in any random concatenation of game setup rules. I find it perfectly easy to believe that a Dutch player, facing two opponents (Brits & Japs) might find himself frequently overmatched when in a game as specific as 40 minute no blockade treaty. There might be a way for you to win – I have no idea. There are so many combinations of civs, map types, and setup rules … not to mention the effect on your game that your initial deck of civ bonuses consists of.

3)Have you ever played Team Fortress 2? What is your favorite character?
A)My favorite character is Scout, because double-jumps are so obviously stupidly defiant of physical laws.

4)f you play AO3 (which I'm sure you prbably have), what civ do you use the most, and in what conditions (treaties etc)?
A)I have all civs at maximum level, because I was a developer. I play the native civs from Warchiefs most often, because I spent so much time developing them. I never ever play Treaty mode. Frankly, we didn’t even playtest it much, except to make sure it worked.

5)After the War Chiefs was released, what factored in to you guys deciding to release a Y-pack for the first time? Was there any brainstorming or other ideas for the Y-pack, if so, what were they, and why were they scrapped?
A)Microsoft’s lust for another expansion drove the Y-Pack, combined with delays in releasing Halo Wars. They had an Age jones that would not rest. We didn’t have enough people to work on it as well as other desired projects, so BigHugeGames got the job. Since we’d already brainstormed heaps for Warchiefs, we pretty much just said that the Y-Pack ought to cover the runner-up for X-pack ideas. Namely, Asians.

6)Was there ever any question as to what civs would be playable in the Asian Dynasties (as all 3 are very unique to one another), or were civs like Siam and Korea thrown around for a while before making any final decisions?
A)BigHuge said they could only do 3 civs. The most powerful civs in 1500-1900 were, obviously, China and India. Japan had, of course, cut itself off from the world during much of this time, but not in the first century, and equally clearly, Japan could have evolved along a different path (her isolation was pretty much one man’s decision).

7) After The Asian Dynasties, or even before or during its development, was there an African x-pack ever planned? If you still could release an African x-pack, what three civs would you want to be playable, and what would some of their attributes be?
A)During the discussions for Warchiefs I did pitch an African pack. I also pitched an African Y-Pack for Age of Kings, to follow the Conquerors.
The African pack for Age of Empires III that I pitched did not include playable African nations – my theory was that adding the African animals, land, units, and minor tribes would be such a massive undertaking that adding civs as well would be an enormous challenge.

The African pack for Age of Empires II that I proposed would have had four civs:

Songhai Empire – an economy-based civ, emphasizing cavalry & camels. Good monks, and their unique unit would be some kind of tough camel.

The Kongolese – no camels, but would have cavalry. Unique unit might be leopard men or something.

Ghana – a military-based civ. Their unique unit would be female warriors (who eventually upgraded to handgun users).

Ethiopia – an infrastructure/defensive civ. They would have super-monks, and their unique unit would be infantry with radius damage, like the old Dervish.
Saw 613
Skirmisher
posted 02-01-10 12:29 PM EDT (US)     184 / 238       
I'm back ^^

1 - What's your favourite game?

2 - Who made the great soundtrack? It's amazing... but you don't really pay atention when playing online but anyway I love it... it matches oblivion's and morrowind's and other great soundtracks...

3 - If you where going to make age of empires IV, how'd it be? (2nd world war, aoe 1 remake?)
BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-01-10 06:32 PM EDT (US)     185 / 238       
So news went by the other day that Bruce Shelley is going to be working on The Settlers 7. It's a relatively unheard of game to Americans, but how do you think the game overall is going to be impacted by his participation?

Bit of a naggy question
Why didn't the Ottomans get a special look back in Age Of Empires III? They are rather very different from the slew of Europeans that seemed to go killing each other in the New World so why is the building template nearly the same as the Spanish and Portuguese?

Actually it was originally called just Heaven, but then God sold the naming rights to Microsoft, so.... -GoForGoldenJarls

Astor: “Churchill, if you were my husband, I’d put poison in your coffee.”
Churchill: “Madam, if you were my wife, I’d drink it.”

[This message has been edited by BurningSushi460 (edited 02-01-2010 @ 06:33 PM).]

Cheap Plastic Rosary
Skirmisher
(id: D0ct0r Wh0)
posted 02-01-10 07:38 PM EDT (US)     186 / 238       
IMHO, Ottomans would have been better off shring the Indian building and unit template than the Spanish template.

But the Ottomans did a lot of killing in Europe. They did capture Constantinople after all.

...[T]he least initial deviation from the truth is multiplied later a thousandfold. -Aristotle, De Caelo

On the lips of the catechist the first proclamation must ring out over and over: “Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you; and now he is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen and free you.” - Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel

Call me out if I fail or seem to fail to live up to either of these. Either I will learn something, you will learn something, or we both will.
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 02-01-10 08:23 PM EDT (US)     187 / 238       
The ottomans were nothing like the indians outside skin color

DISTISOP

CrazyLunatic
Veteran Musketeer
posted 02-01-10 08:52 PM EDT (US)     188 / 238       
The ottomans were nothing like the indians outside skin color
Quite a bit of Indian architecture was influenced/created by the Moghuls so there are some similarities actually.

QUACK
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 02-01-10 09:20 PM EDT (US)     189 / 238       
The more contemporary works of india yes, but traditional is mostly based on Indian architecture. However, the most famous of India's workings is moghul work, such as the all famous taj mahal. However, classics like the monkey palace and the buddhist temples were all made before the influence of the Moghuls.

DISTISOP

BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-02-10 00:29 AM EDT (US)     190 / 238       
And it's discussions like this that show the importance of the question. The Turks aren't Iberian knockoffs, they had a unique culture built off of craploads of others over the centuries, they deserve a hands up in notice.

Actually it was originally called just Heaven, but then God sold the naming rights to Microsoft, so.... -GoForGoldenJarls

Astor: “Churchill, if you were my husband, I’d put poison in your coffee.”
Churchill: “Madam, if you were my wife, I’d drink it.”
Zalpacuiztli
Skirmisher
posted 02-02-10 12:56 PM EDT (US)     191 / 238       
Hello Sandy,

Here are a couple of questions which I've been wanting to ask for quite some time (as you may deduce from my nickname I'm mostly interested in one civ from the AOE games):

1. In both TC and AOE3 Aztecs don't speak Nahuatl (their actual language), but some weird tongue which I'm not sure if it's a real language or something you just made up. In other games like Civ 4 they do speak real Nahuatl, so why don't they speak Nahuatl in AOE?

2. Another inaccuracy which bothered me from TC is that in the Moctezuma campaign you showed the Aztecs as jungle dwellers. In reality Aztecs lived in central Mexico where there are temperate forests and some semi-arid areas, and I'm sure your research teams where aware of this, so why did you decide to show them living in a tropical rainforest?
AOE games have always showed an interest for historical accuracy, so why didn't you respect the language and environment of the Aztecs?

3. In AOE 3 there are only 2 maps representing Mexico (and Mesoamerica as a whole): Sonora and Yucatan, which makes for the cliche of Mexico being only desert and jungle. Didn't you ever consider creating more maps for this vast and diverse territory? I would have liked at least one more map representing the highlands of central Mexico.
I was also disappointed to see that you included very few civs from Mesoamerica and South America (I understand your target customers were far more familiar with North American cultures, but still it's sad to see that you neglected the rest of the continent, especially because you had to do ridiculous things like putting Mayas in Sonora and Zapotecs in Orinoco!)

Thanks in advance Sandyman!
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 02-02-10 03:50 PM EDT (US)     192 / 238       
Hehe you might appreciate a giant RPG/fixed force map I'm working on that takes heroes around Lake Texcoco...

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 02-03-2010 @ 05:30 AM).]

EME2940820
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-10 12:48 PM EDT (US)     193 / 238       
1)In AOE, the computer villagers actively hunt elephants for food. However, in ROR, the villagers do not do this.
A)The problem was that in AoE, the villagers would attack elephants on their own, without being commanded to do so. Then they would get killed and you’d scroll back to your home town to see a pile of dead. So in RoR, we changed it so you had to actively command villies to attack an elephant. I am sorry this does not suit your play style as well.
For ROR, if there is more than one elephant in a close area and the HUMAN PLAYER commands his villagers to hunt one elephant, some of the HUMAN PLAYER's villagers will still automatically attack a nearby elephant after they have finished collecting the meat from the first elephant.

In my question, I was referring to the COMPUTER PLAYER [in ROR] failing to hunt elephants entirely. Your "fix for efficiency" reason would seem to better apply to the COMPUTER PLAYER.

Actually, I am interested in this topic since I would like to get the COMPUTER PLAYER to hunt elephants for scenarios I create. I am a dilettante AOE/ROR scenario designer.

[This message has been edited by EME2940820 (edited 02-06-2010 @ 02:27 PM).]

joeseppe
Skirmisher
posted 02-06-10 01:55 PM EDT (US)     194 / 238       
oh dear
whatever wingwun wants
Skirmisher
(id: Pears)
posted 02-09-10 02:37 AM EDT (US)     195 / 238       
ok mr sandy i have a couple of questions but before i start...

hello aoe3 people i come from the aokh thread, i visit there regualray and have all age of empires game (not aom but i want it)

ok question 1

mr sandy, can you come back for a suprise visit at aokh

ok question 2

are you still in contact with any other ensemlbe studios members

Q3

why was ensemlbe studios shut down, i asked aloysious (age community) but he doesn't answer

Q4

will you ever go back to game designing?

Q5

why in aoe1 was there only one type of villager, male, not female like in aok?

Q6

is there a mrs sandyman?

Q7

How much money did you get just from aoe1 in selling

Q8

can you make a ensemlbe studios reunion and visit all the aoeh to see all your games fans (and staff) oh and visit age comm to (dying site needs some lively hood)

Q9

where is "The Guildhall at Southern Methodist University."

Q10

what does: the latest incarnation of Ask Sandy. mean does it mean there will be no more ask sandy?

Q11

how old are you?

Q12

I reckon you should make a quick scenerio for each game what do you think

Q13

AoC, since you were a lead designer or something like that, hw long did it take to make a unit?

and that concludes my questions

So, again Devestator shut the f*ck up, for your own good, and for mine aswell. If you think im a noob, continue with that, but do not tell that noobstuff to the others, because there's people who do not give a flying f*ck about you, komprenas? SHUT THE F*CK UP, AND REMAIN SILENT stupid pervert. - NertyOX
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 02-15-10 11:58 AM EDT (US)     196 / 238       
I can answer most of those

2. Yes he is, but does not wish to mention about any of their plans for a new game.

3. Lack of microsoft funding (and theyre idiots [microsoft if you didnt infer correctly])

4. He still is, thats what he teaches

5. why does this matter?

6. Yes he has a family

9. Texas i think

10. Hopefully not

11. Uhh is that necessary to know?

DISTISOP

[This message has been edited by Mariomasta RJK (edited 02-15-2010 @ 11:59 AM).]

SandyMan
VIP
posted 02-15-10 02:25 PM EDT (US)     197 / 238       
What's your favourite game?
A)As in common with many designers I don’t really have a favorite game. Unless you count whatever game I’m currently playing most often. My favorite card game is Contract Bridge. My favorite RPG is RuneQuest or Call of Cthulhu. My favorite boardgame – hmm. I find myself playing World In Flames almost every year – it’s certainly a top-shelfer for me. My favorite computer game is harder to answer. The one I played most recently was “Civilizations Wars” – it was pretty fun.

Who made the great soundtrack?
A)It says right in the game credits. Steve Rippy and Kevin McMullan. They did a great job, no?

If you were going to make age of empires IV, how would it be?
A)Awesome. More seriously, I love WW2 as well as ancient times so I would be torn.

So news went by the other day that Bruce Shelley is going to be working on The Settlers 7. It's a relatively unheard of game to Americans, but how do you think the game overall is going to be impacted by his participation?
A)I have great respect for Bruce and I’m sure it will only be improved by his recommendations.

Why didn't the Ottomans get a special look back in Age Of Empires III?
A)Because if we had to do a whole new art style in order to have acceptable Ottomans, instead we would simply have left them out. There is a finite number of artists, and time available for them to do work in.

The Turks aren't Iberian knockoffs, they had a unique culture built off of craploads of others over the centuries, they deserve a hands up in notice
A)I guess on one level every civ “deserves” its very own art look. After all, it’s not like British and French buildings are identical either. But again, if we had to do a whole special art style for each civ, we would have been able to do very many fewer civs. It’s all a question of where you focus your effort. In the case of the Ottomans, we chose to give them lots of unique units, and a very unique feel. Wouldn’t you rather have THAT, rather than just some different building textures?

In both TC and AOE3 Aztecs don't speak Nahuatl
A)That’s too bad, seeing as we specifically paid a Nahuatl speaker to translate the words into their native language. I guess we got gypped.

in the Moctezuma campaign you showed the Aztecs as jungle dwellers
A)Because we already had plenty of desert and wasteland art. We wanted to add jungles as a new art style.

In AOE 3 there are only 2 maps representing Mexico (and Mesoamerica as a whole): Sonora and Yucatan, which makes for the cliche of Mexico being only desert and jungle. Didn't you ever consider creating more maps for this vast and diverse territory
A)This argument can be made for every single area in any Age game. The Arabian peninsula has extensive swamplands, for instance. Why didn’t we portray that in Age II? If we had an infinite number of level designers and artists, we could have had an infinite number of maps. We could have distinguished between Chihuahua and Baja. But we didn’t.

I was also disappointed to see that you included very few civs from Mesoamerica and South America
A)Are you referring to the native Americans? Because in TW I tried hard to add proportionately more Mesoamerican and South American tribes.

In my question, I was referring to the COMPUTER PLAYER [in ROR] failing to hunt elephants entirely
A)Ah yes. This is because the computer player is an idiot, and this was our fix to keep them from losing all their villagers.

A)Entice me with something
are you still in contact with any other ensemlbe studios members

A)Yep.

why was ensemlbe studios shut down
A)So a selfish man could maximize his own bonuses at the expense of Microsoft stockholders.

will you ever go back to game designing?
A)I’m doing it right now. I am involved in like 20 finished games a year here at the Guildhall.

why in aoe1 was there only one type of villager, male, not female like in aok?
A)Simplicity.

is there a mrs sandyman?
A)Her name is Wendy and we’ve been married for 30 years.

How much money did you get just from aoe1 in selling
A)? I just got my salary

where is "The Guildhall at Southern Methodist University."
A)In the Dallas metroplex

what does: the latest incarnation of Ask Sandy. mean does it mean there will be no more ask sandy?
A)No, that would be the “final incarnation of Ask Sandy” which has not yet occurred I sincerely hope.

how old are you?
A)54

I reckon you should make a quick scenerio for each game what do you think
A)I think I’m not being paid to make scenarios for Age of Empires.

AoC, since you were a lead designer or something like that, hw long did it take to make a unit?
A)That would be an artist. As designer, it took me about 5 minutes to make a unit. Then about 2 weeks to balance its stats. Then I had to get an artist to draw it.
Krakenbits
Skirmisher
posted 02-15-10 05:02 PM EDT (US)     198 / 238       
Another question from me.

Q: One thing I really love about TAD is the artwork and visual style of the game. As I understand it, BHG was in charge of most of the game development and programming, but ES was in charge of most of the artwork. And one thing I really liked was the Indian flag. Where did the inspiration for the Indian flag come from? What were some other flag designs you guys drew up? What does each part of it represent? What made you decide on not using a flag like the Mughal crescent?
existoid
Skirmisher
posted 02-17-10 08:46 PM EDT (US)     199 / 238       
1) What are the three most momentous turning points in history?

2) what variety of questions do you prefer to be asked?

3) which color is best?

4) how would the existence of superheroes affect large scale conflicts such as wars?

5) Even though social biases and economic biases in American politics seems to have little to link them, social conservatives tend to be fiscal conservatives and social liberals tend to be fiscal liberals. Why? For example, if one is pro-life, he or she is also more likely to be for less regulation and smaller government. The opposite is true: someone who is pro-abortion is likelier to applaud big government and higher taxes. This seems to be a strange phenomenon. Why aren't social biases and economic biases more independent of each other?
whatever wingwun wants
Skirmisher
(id: Pears)
posted 02-19-10 04:21 AM EDT (US)     200 / 238       
A)Entice me with something
Whats entice mean? sorry im australian and only year 8, my english is horrible too even though english is my first language (now you all think im a loser lol)

So, again Devestator shut the f*ck up, for your own good, and for mine aswell. If you think im a noob, continue with that, but do not tell that noobstuff to the others, because there's people who do not give a flying f*ck about you, komprenas? SHUT THE F*CK UP, AND REMAIN SILENT stupid pervert. - NertyOX
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames