Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Ask Sandy XXIV
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ask Sandy XXIV
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10  Next Page »
SandyMan
VIP
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 10-19-09 01:52 PM EDT (US)         
the latest incarnation of Ask Sandy. All questions are possible.

1) Who is Sandy?
A) Sandy Petersen, a designer at former Ensemble Studios. He was design lead on Rise of Rome, The Conquerors, and the Warchiefs. He was part of the design team on Age of Emipres II and Age of Empires III. He has worked on numerous other games, and has been in the digital game industry since 1988.

2) What is Sandy doing now?
A) He teaches game design at The Guildhall at Southern Methodist University.

3) What are Robot / Bonfire up to?
A) Sandy will not answer ANY questions about Robot or Bonfire's plans -- he knows and likes the people who work there, and wishes them well. They deserve the right to make their own press releases.
AuthorReplies:
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 11-18-09 03:38 PM EDT (US)     51 / 238       
LMAO random

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 11-18-09 06:44 PM EDT (US)     52 / 238       
mocorongo
Skirmisher
posted 11-19-09 11:29 AM EDT (US)     53 / 238       
Can you share with us some of your preliminar ideas for Age IV? Assuming that it would be in WW I and WW II timeframe, some features of previous AoE games could not be suitable for this new "Age". What about planes, map size, "home city" and so?
Roderic
Skirmisher
posted 11-20-09 06:18 AM EDT (US)     54 / 238       
A few:

a) Do you like playing chess? Do you know about other variants different from western chess like shogi or chinese chess? I have often seen Ageof like the modern version of a chess-like games, after realizing that the imagination they put in those games design was very similar to yours, even using elephants.

b) Related to the first one, how research has been developed in AI using AoE games? I think that RTS should be a nice tool to test AI that emulate "human" behaviours, much more than developing brute-force, very deep algorithms for playing chess-like games. I have read about a paper published by an Austrian AI research group that tested bots in AoM. Do you think that interesting progress in AI field can be achieved with RTS games to emulate human thinking?

Milita est vita hominis super terram et sicut dies mercenarii dies ejus (Job VII:1)

[This message has been edited by Roderic (edited 11-20-2009 @ 06:19 AM).]

SandyMan
VIP
posted 11-25-09 05:01 PM EDT (US)     55 / 238       
1)Can you share with us some of your preliminar ideas for Age IV?
a)There is a highly competent team working right now on what I believe to be the next installment in the Age series. It would be out of line for me to speculate in any way on what they are doing. No doubt when they reach an appropriate time, they will release it themselves on their website robotentertainment.com

2)Do you like playing chess? Do you know about other variants different from western chess like shogi or chinese chess?
A)I like playing chess okay. MOST of the chess games I play are non-standard chess. I play Shogi, Korean chess, Chinese, Thai, and old fashioned forms of chess. One of my favorites is Tamerlane’s chess, which has an 11x10 board, and pawns shaped like miniature versions of the piece they promote into (thus, a mini-rook pawn promotes only into a rook).

3)I think that RTS should be a nice tool to test AI that emulate "human" behaviours, much more than developing brute-force, very deep algorithms for playing chess-like games
A)Everything I’ve read about chess AI indicates that the best chess computers don’t play at all like real humans. RTS AI, while not necessarily human-like at least tries to mimic us in some superficial ways.

4)Do you think that interesting progress in AI field can be achieved with RTS games to emulate human thinking?
A)Unlike most computer people, I don’t actually believe that computers will ever really emulate human thought, and furthermore I don’t think we should even try to get them to do so. Do we try to make sure that a rake is shaped like a human hand? Or that our cars move with human-like legs? Computers are machines that have wholly different purposes than being incompetent human mockeries.
legio1984
Skirmisher
posted 11-26-09 04:36 AM EDT (US)     56 / 238       
Robot is probably working on the next installment of AOE.
My guess were right.

[This message has been edited by legio1984 (edited 11-26-2009 @ 04:39 AM).]

SandyMan
VIP
posted 11-28-09 04:28 PM EDT (US)     57 / 238       
Q) Robot is probably working on the next installment of AOE. My guess were right.

A) it's not a very deep or wondrous guess. Certainly it would be in MS's interest for a company like Robot to do the next Age game. But MS doesn't always do what is in their best interest, IMO.
legio1984
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-09 04:51 PM EDT (US)     58 / 238       
1)Do you think we'll see the "Home city system" again?
General_II
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-09 10:26 PM EDT (US)     59 / 238       
Any thoughts on Modern Warfare 2?
BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 11-29-09 10:29 PM EDT (US)     60 / 238       
*adds on* Assassin's Creed 2?

Actually it was originally called just Heaven, but then God sold the naming rights to Microsoft, so.... -GoForGoldenJarls

Astor: “Churchill, if you were my husband, I’d put poison in your coffee.”
Churchill: “Madam, if you were my wife, I’d drink it.”
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 11-30-09 03:45 PM EDT (US)     61 / 238       
my 2 cents on CODMW2 is that it was a rushed, overhyped game that used the Call of Duty name to sell tons. It had no better aspects than the original one besides a better campaign. If it did not have the call of duty title on it, I am sure it wouldn't have sold a tenth of what it did sell.

DISTISOP

DukeLeto
Skirmisher
posted 11-30-09 06:48 PM EDT (US)     62 / 238       
CoD6 is great I like it
Even the ability to create classes on non-live is a great thing for me when my friends come over to play you don't have to use the lame premade classes
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-09 07:36 AM EDT (US)     63 / 238       
One of my pet peeves of shooters is the higher level or so you are, the better weapons you get. Everything should be accessible so the match is fair, but you should be able t customize it to your liking. AS long as both players have equal opportunity, a shooter is balanced and I approve of it. I don't play CoD 4 often, and my friends think they are so much better than me cuz they play it 247 and have everything basically

DISTISOP

Roderic
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-09 09:18 AM EDT (US)     64 / 238       
People, keep on topic...

Now that Sandy has told us about Robot interest on continuing the Ageof franchise (what seemed quite obvious), I have a question about. As far as I know, in AoK heaven was a speculative thread about the next game release, that was AoE III eventually.
So that, did Ensemble notice or take into account some ideas that people posted? Can you give us some example?
Would Robot be curious about the ideas people write on the design of the "new game" ?

Milita est vita hominis super terram et sicut dies mercenarii dies ejus (Job VII:1)
No_nickname
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-09 09:40 AM EDT (US)     65 / 238       
Q) Why do the native and asian civs get cheaper "Veteran" unit upgrades (200w 100c instead of the European 200w 200c)

Q) Did Ensemble ever consider fixing any of the editor bugs in a patch? Like for example the "black map after playtest" bug and the triggers that don't work properly (Modify Protounit).

Q) Do you think it is possible that a sequel to Age of Mythology will be released some day?

Q) If you had to choose: AOM2 or AOE4?
Would Robot be curious about the ideas people write on the design of the "new game" ?
Well if they have already started making it I think they have an idea what it would be about

Check out my YouTube channel for AoEO videos!
ESO2: No_nickname | AoEO: NoNick331
"anything less than 40 hours is nub men, me i go for like 76 hours the best as i can get to imp in 14 mins then go on holiday for 2 days then come back and make some mil or w/e" - bloodoats
Roderic
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-09 10:00 AM EDT (US)     66 / 238       
Well if they have already started making it I think they have an idea what it would be about
Yeah, but it can be based in some of our shit, or just on their own, while doing previous projects

SandyMan
VIP
posted 12-02-09 01:53 PM EDT (US)     67 / 238       
1)Do you think we'll see the "Home city system" again?
A)Any ideas or announcements about the next Age game need to originate from the team working on it. Not from me.
2)did Ensemble notice or take into account some ideas that people posted? Can you give us some example?
A)Ensemble was always very keen on watching the forums and seeing what was going on. As one small example, because people complained about unfair terrain in Age 1 & 2 (remember Hill Berries?), in Age 3 we had much less “randomized” maps to ensure fairness. As a larger example, people griped that there wasn’t much decision-making in early Age 2 – you just pumped out villies, picked berries, built houses, etc., for five minutes or so. So in Age 3, for better or worse, we ensured that there was something for you to do with the explorer & early shipments.

3)Would Robot be curious about the ideas people write on the design of the "new game" ?
A)I’m sure someone at Robot is monitoring the forums.

4)Why do the native and asian civs get cheaper "Veteran" unit upgrades (200w 100c instead of the European 200w 200c)
A)As a very minor incentive to play them

5)Did Ensemble ever consider fixing any of the editor bugs in a patch?
A)I can truthfully say that editor bugs were the very lowest priority of all for us to address in a patch.

6)Do you think it is possible that a sequel to Age of Mythology will be released some day?
A)I think it is unlikely

7)If you had to choose: AOM2 or AOE4?
A)Not enough information. Is AoE4 ancient times, medieval, or modern? Am I considering it as a player, or as a developer?
legio1984
Skirmisher
posted 12-02-09 02:05 PM EDT (US)     68 / 238       
Thanks again for your answers.

Q)I know you aren't working for Robot, but how could be improved the battle system in your opinion?
Bart331
Skirmisher
posted 12-02-09 06:01 PM EDT (US)     69 / 238       
i dont know if this question is alreays asked but i would like to know what your opinion is on the current fanpatch? And did you read the possible fp 1.2 notes, and what are your ideas about such iniatives from the community?

How larger do you think the chances are that RE makes a new patch for TAD, or will they leave the game as it is righ now?

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

Battle.net:Bart (227)
ESO:Bart331
existoid
Skirmisher
posted 12-03-09 07:50 PM EDT (US)     70 / 238       
Two questions:

A) Since insect wings flap at speeds of like 1000 times per second, what keeps the insects from getting extreme vibrations throughout their body that disorient them?

2) Is it true that Joan of Arc only fought for one year of the 100 years war and then was captured, yet the French won every major battle after she appeared? How did she affect the war so heavily if she was there for such a short time?

[This message has been edited by existoid (edited 12-03-2009 @ 08:02 PM).]

IlDio
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-09 04:15 PM EDT (US)     71 / 238       
While you were still working on Age III,

What did the Italian's home city look like?

Did you guys vote on the civilizations you wanted to use in the final game?
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-09 07:25 PM EDT (US)     72 / 238       
What do you think of our TE funpatch? (you can find it on one of the first few topics) Any suggestions as a former desginer?

Also, how much longer do you plan to be in the gaming industry? If you could do anything else what would it be

DISTISOP

mocorongo
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-09 11:22 AM EDT (US)     73 / 238       
About portuguese: before the release they had a discovery age TC wagon besides the regular TC. They were OP on tests and you removed this TC wagon. Did you try other possibilities to nerf than, such as keep this inicial TC wagon and remove the ones they receive at each age up?
CookieCrisp13
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-09 04:10 PM EDT (US)     74 / 238       
existoid, in case you didn't know, these questions are supposed to be related to AoE III. Save those questions for Yahoo Answers.

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-09 08:57 PM EDT (US)     75 / 238       
Quoted from Cookie
existoid, in case you didn't know, these questions are supposed to be related to AoE III. Save those questions for Yahoo Answers.
Quoted from Sandy
the latest incarnation of Ask Sandy. All questions are possible.
Cookie don't lie to the nub xD, jeez . As sandy states, ask whatever the hell you wish

DISTISOP

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames