Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Ask Sandy XXIV
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ask Sandy XXIV
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 10  Next Page »
SandyMan
VIP
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 10-19-09 01:52 PM EDT (US)         
the latest incarnation of Ask Sandy. All questions are possible.

1) Who is Sandy?
A) Sandy Petersen, a designer at former Ensemble Studios. He was design lead on Rise of Rome, The Conquerors, and the Warchiefs. He was part of the design team on Age of Emipres II and Age of Empires III. He has worked on numerous other games, and has been in the digital game industry since 1988.

2) What is Sandy doing now?
A) He teaches game design at The Guildhall at Southern Methodist University.

3) What are Robot / Bonfire up to?
A) Sandy will not answer ANY questions about Robot or Bonfire's plans -- he knows and likes the people who work there, and wishes them well. They deserve the right to make their own press releases.
AuthorReplies:
Teutonic Twit
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-10-09 11:29 PM EDT (US)     76 / 238       
dear Sandy...
Why doesn't CookieCrisp13 get it?
SandyMan
VIP
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 12-11-09 04:17 PM EDT (US)     77 / 238       
1)I know you aren't working for Robot, but how could be improved the battle system in your opinion?
A)I rather like the battle system in Age III. The big changes I would work on would be (A) fixing cavalry pathing, so they can get to their targets and (B) making ships fun

2)How larger do you think the chances are that RE makes a new patch for TAD?
A)Unless Microsoft requests it of them, my guess is that the chance is zero.

3)Since insect wings flap at speeds of like 1000 times per second, what keeps the insects from getting extreme vibrations throughout their body that disorient them?
A)They have shock absorbers (Iím serious).

4)Is it true that Joan of Arc only fought for one year of the 100 years war and then was captured, yet the French won every major battle after she appeared? How did she affect the war so heavily if she was there for such a short time?
A)She was a saint! God fought on her side, obviously.

5)While you were still working on Age III, What did the Italian's home city look like?
A)If you mean the art, it looked exactly like the British home city, since we hadnít started working on its art yet. If you mean the shipments, we had not yet developed a lot of the more interesting ones. Mostly it was boring stuff like shipping Condottierie or Halberdeers. Sorry to disappoint, but the quirky shipments like ďSevastopolĒ came later in playtest.

6)Did you guys vote on the civilizations you wanted to use in the final game?
A)No. It was argued out among the designers, with Greg having the final word if he needed it.

7)how much longer do you plan to be in the gaming industry?
A)Till I die, I guess. Iím too old to go into rock and roll.

8)About portuguese: before the release they had a discovery age TC wagon besides the regular TC. They were OP on tests and you removed this TC wagon. Did you try other possibilities to nerf than, such as keep this inicial TC wagon and remove the ones they receive at each age up?
A)We were worried that the extra wagon would have secret combinations that we wouldnít spot in test, so stuck with removing it. It was not controversial to remove it at all.

9)existoid, in case you didn't know, these questions are supposed to be related to AoE III
A)WHAT?! THIS IS NOT TRUE. Ask Sandy has NEVER been just related to the topic of the game under consideration. If you guys insist that I stick to Age III, Iím going to another forum.

Anyway "existoid" is a horrible fellow. I know him well, and have even met him in person.
legio1984
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-09 05:11 PM EDT (US)     78 / 238       
thanks for answering.

i'm sorry you aren't working on the next RE's project. I know you loves the roman history and if my guess is right( robot is working on a game set in the ancient times) your support would have been very appreciated.

Q: Do you think the next AOE will use a new graphic engine or it will use a simple update of the previous one ?
Darthcast
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-09 08:17 PM EDT (US)     79 / 238       
I've played Warcraft 3 (again) recently, and noticed how much I'd love AoE3 to have a similar hero system. (Heroes getting more abilities/"god powers" when leveling up)
Especially in the campaign/scenarios... I know there are one or two cards that give a specific hero more abilities, but I would have loved it to have more of these.
Do you think this would have been a good addition?

Was the AI neglected intentionally to encourage people to play online (and therefore buy the game)?
(Hope this wasn't asked before, don't even know if I asked that before )

Do you like sitcoms?

Play my scenarios! You won't believe how much fun they are!

[This message has been edited by Darthcast (edited 12-11-2009 @ 08:27 PM).]

Teutonic Twit
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-11-09 09:51 PM EDT (US)     80 / 238       
Global warming. Yes/no? your thoughts.
LongBowHurtsBad
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-09 10:32 PM EDT (US)     81 / 238       
Wouldnet it be thoughtful to include an in-depth tutorial for the mind-boggling senario editor and the seeming useless buttons?

~Quotes from the Heart~

"Get off my lawn"-Clint eastwood
"My name is Bill Clinton and im about to get laid" -Bill
"Spartans! Its time...to stomp the yard!"-Leonidas
"When you get hit by a Longbow, it will probably hurt, bad"-George Bush
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 12-11-09 10:32 PM EDT (US)     82 / 238       
Just curious, do Mormons recognize Catholic saints, or those of other branches of Christianity? If so, in total, up to a certain time, or just a select group?

Oh, and ever play the game Celtic Kings? If so, what do you think of it?
CookieCrisp13
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-09 10:57 PM EDT (US)     83 / 238       
Haha, Fair is fair mariomaster, you're right

I just figured it would be a matter of respect in asking him questions related to his former profession.

@ Sandy, sorry It won't happen again I SWEAR

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL

[This message has been edited by CookieCrisp13 (edited 12-11-2009 @ 11:00 PM).]

existoid
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-09 09:36 PM EDT (US)     84 / 238       
in the former ask sandyman at the Age of Kings Heaven you once listed what you believed were the best tank commanders (or possibly any sort of commanders) of WWII. Sifting through those dozens of pages takes too long and as there were many WWII questions and answers on ask sandyman my powers of google searching failed me as well. But if it's all the same, I'd like to know the best (tank) commanders again...
Mariomasta RJK
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-09 05:11 PM EDT (US)     85 / 238       
4)Is it true that Joan of Arc only fought for one year of the 100 years war and then was captured, yet the French won every major battle after she appeared? How did she affect the war so heavily if she was there for such a short time?

What is this god you speak of?

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-13-09 06:04 PM EDT (US)     86 / 238       
Beware: tl;dr question coming.

Speaking of religion, how do you feel about using games, especially computer games, to introduce ideas about religion?

As I write this, I'm aware that several successful games have done this: the card game Redemption, the religious leadership aspects of Sid Meier's Civilization games, and to some extent Age of Mythology tried to match the God Power with the classical 'character' of the ancient gods. Another example that comes to mind is Good and Evil, where you were a 'god' in your own world, and had to make ethically and morally binding decisions.

But none of these explores a specific religion as a forum for learning moral and ethical behaviour, or for exploring the roots of a belief system or revelation. Should such a game exist? I've seen low-budget games with religious themes, and even some major game studios have pitched in to market a religious themed game, but it was only pitched towards a niche market.

Should religious groups embrace high-end, mainstream blockbuster level games as a way to increase awareness of their beliefs and model ethical and moral application of these beliefs? Do you think the general mainstream gaming community would identify with an idealized Mormon hero figure?

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
teh_shiznix
Banned
posted 12-14-09 04:50 AM EDT (US)     87 / 238       
How much wood would a woodchuck cuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Teutonic Twit
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-14-09 05:01 AM EDT (US)     88 / 238       
Chuckles worth!
Darthcast
Skirmisher
posted 12-14-09 11:03 AM EDT (US)     89 / 238       
Speaking of religion, how do you feel about using games, especially computer games, to introduce ideas about religion?
Very interesting topic!
Civilization 4 even lets you found certain religions (Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Taoism, Confucianism), but they're all equal. I think they did that purposely, to avoid offending anyone.
I think it would have been much more interesting if every religion grants a bonus and a penalty - like Christianity could grant a crusader unit etc.

If you would design a game with religious aspects, would you rather introduce a "boring" concept that is "politically correct", or would you introduce a more interesting and fun concept, even if it might offend some people?

Play my scenarios! You won't believe how much fun they are!
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-14-09 03:02 PM EDT (US)     90 / 238       
I dunno...part of my job as scenario designer and developer is to test storylines for campaign or RPG potential.

The Joseph Smith story has all the makings of a great RPG adventure.

• It spans more than one generation
  • It involves two long pilgrimages across a wide variety of terrains and political climates
  • It has major objectives that fit neatly within the quest variable system of the trigger set: Using special abilities to find or receive Treasures, defending units and buildings, Rescuing heroes, Founding cities, building native posts and trade routes, Statehood of Utah.
  • It is set in the time period spanning the Colonial, Fortress, and Industrial ages so the story naturally allows players to age-up within the campaign
  • skirmishes large and small, suitable both for fixed-force and for build-and-destroy type scenarios
  • Plenty of opportunity for minor modding: a hero figure based on John Black but having the Portuguese spyglass ability; a covered wagon containing the Tablets that can garrison inside the farmstead of Smith; main opposition figures in the Governors of Missouri and Illinois; and cameo hero allies such as Stephen Douglas and Paiute leaders.

Crunkatog on ESO
    Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
    schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
    Crunkatog on Steam.
  • LordKivlov
    Royal Guard
    posted 12-15-09 11:06 AM EDT (US)     91 / 238       
    Boxers or Briefs?

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
    Mariomasta RJK
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-16-09 06:57 PM EDT (US)     92 / 238       
    Briefs are gay but more comfy

DISTISOP

Teutonic Twit
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 12-16-09 07:02 PM EDT (US)     93 / 238       
    Try boxer briefs...
    jds2012
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-16-09 08:19 PM EDT (US)     94 / 238       
    I don't know if you do math questions, but finals are coming up soon, so I was wondering...

In our school, to get your semester grade, 1st quarter grade is 40%, 2nd quarter grade is 40%, and semester exam is 20%. If I got a 91% 1st quarter and a 93% 2nd quarter, what percentage do I need to get in my semester exam to get at least a 90% for the semester?

Keep him from expanding. Keep him scared. Keep him making the wrong type of troops. Control the game, don't react to it.
    -Ender_Ward
    Teutonic Twit
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 12-16-09 11:02 PM EDT (US)     95 / 238       
    You can't figure that out on your own? Redo the whole year again and maintain a consistent average and you'll have your answer!
    Cancer of the Head
    Skirmisher
    (id: say1988)
    posted 12-17-09 09:58 AM EDT (US)     96 / 238       
    I certainly hope it isn't a math course.
    tj218
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-17-09 05:03 PM EDT (US)     97 / 238       
    jds "In our school, to get your semester grade, 1st quarter grade is 40%, 2nd quarter grade is 40%, and semester exam is 20%. If I got a 91% 1st quarter and a 93% 2nd quarter, what percentage do I need to get in my semester exam to get at least a 90% for the semester?"

Multiply each quarter grade x2

91 x 2 = 182 (40% of the grade)
    +
    93 x 2 = 186 (40% of the grade)
    ----------------

=368 pts

you need at least an 82% (20% of the grade) on the final to get a 90% (not counting rounding) (368+82=450, 450= 90% of 500)
    jds2012
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-17-09 07:49 PM EDT (US)     98 / 238       
    Well, I was just going to come back to edit the post saying i figured it out, but it seems as if i'm too late. thanks for the help. Sandy, you don't need to answer the question.

And no, it wasn't a math course, but thanks for your concern

Keep him from expanding. Keep him scared. Keep him making the wrong type of troops. Control the game, don't react to it.
    -Ender_Ward

[This message has been edited by jds2012 (edited 12-17-2009 @ 07:50 PM).]

Mariomasta RJK
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-17-09 09:36 PM EDT (US)     99 / 238       
    certainly hope your not as bad at math as you are at AoE 3

DISTISOP

As_Saffah
    Scenario Reviewer
    posted 12-18-09 08:50 AM EDT (US)     100 / 238       
    wow there certainly are a lot of Sandys in the world today

Crunkatog on ESO
    Crunkatog on Steam.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 10  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames