You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.32 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Check out AoEO PvP!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Check out AoEO PvP!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
miloman
VIP
posted 11-21-11 02:16 PM EDT (US)         
Hello!

I’m MrMilo, MS Playbalance Lead for Age of Empires Online. You might remember me from my days as a moderator for AoE3 (I made this account on HeavenGames 10 years ago). Or perhaps, I played or talked to you on ESO on AoE3 or AoM or their expansions. I love Age games, particularly PvP in Age games. I’m posting here because I know you guys and gals love Age games too.

If you left AoEO, or never picked it up, because there was a barrier to getting into the kind of PvP game you wanted to play, you should come back: the barrier is gone. We’ve just introduced a new way to PvP, Champion Mode, that puts all players on equal footing from the moment you make a civilization. There’s no need to get gear or level up in Champion Mode: all in-game techs in the tech tree are unlocked, and gear still makes your units look cool, but it doesn’t affect unit stats. Just hop on a Premium civilization and play, simple as that. For more details on Champion Mode, see here.

This game is fun. The pacing is fast—it feels more like AoC than AoM or AoE3—and there is a hard counter system that rewards good micro. Also, because we patch the game most months, balance changes will come more frequently than they did for AoE3.

If you don’t have the game already, check it out: ageofempiresonline.com. I hope to see you online for some PvP soon!

--MrMilo

[This message has been edited by miloman (edited 11-21-2011 @ 03:10 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Bart331
Skirmisher
posted 11-21-11 03:55 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32       
i can advise this to everyone, its really fun !

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

Battle.net:Bart (227)
ESO:Bart331
Lost Knight
Skirmisher
(id: huntforcollossus)
posted 11-21-11 03:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 32       
I love AoEO, and i'm glad to see PvP back on its feet there. Champion mode is fantastic. I don't generally PvP except for on AoE3.

Great work guys.

This is my signature. Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again.

And when he gets to heaven, To saint peter he will tell- One more soldier reporting sir,
I've served my time in hell.

Lol, that was funny. Lost Knight is my favorite bro in AoEIIIH - Eurotool
Jerom
Skirmisher
posted 11-21-11 04:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 32       
Id love to see the slow down animation get fixed a little bit, it seems to me like the units are getting slowed down so much that microing hand troops once the battle has started is simply not rewarding at all.
Bart331
Skirmisher
posted 11-21-11 06:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 32       
and there is a hard counter system that rewards good micro
read this jerom, this game is actually better in terms of countersystem then aoe3 since you dont have silly units like musketeers, it all comes down to bow dudes, melee inf dudes and dudes on horses. And if you run all your army in the melee inf dudes and get slowed down thats your problem .

This game does reward micro. Its just different the your used to.

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 11-22-11 05:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 32       
That is a great news for PvP as well as for Custom Scenarios.
All this time players preferred normal PvP over custom scenarios because they could earn XP only with PvP.
Now that the incentive to play for XP is removed more players will hopefully play Custom Scenarios.
Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 11-22-11 05:55 PM EDT (US)     6 / 32       
They just need to include custom scenarios first

This month I have mostly been playing Dishonored Death of the Outsider and Darkest Dungeon
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
anterior2
Scenario Design Expert
posted 11-22-11 09:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 32       
Yeah, two things:

• Premium = not free. Therefore we have to commit to a purchase before we can "check it out".

• They won't ever implement CSOs because then you won't buy all their silly map packs.

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
  • onfiregun17
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-22-11 10:05 PM EDT (US)     8 / 32       
    They just need to include custom scenarios first
    maffia, you read my mind
    Maffia
    AoE3H Seraph
    posted 11-23-11 08:59 AM EDT (US)     9 / 32       
    Premium = not free. Therefore we have to commit to a purchase before we can "check it out".
    Actually if you have a friend with Premium or just find someone in general chat you can play an unranked champion mode game from the Arena to "check it out".
    They won't ever implement CSOs because then you won't buy all their silly map packs.
    We can always keep our fingers crossed, Cosy at least supports the idea of player created content.

This month I have mostly been playing Dishonored Death of the Outsider and Darkest Dungeon

[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
    MosheLevi
    Scenario Contest Winner
    posted 11-23-11 04:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 32       
    When I read this post initially I missed the Online part and thought we are talking about AOE3, lol.
    After all this is AOE3 forum, is it not?

Now I see that it's about AOE Online.
    Well personally I like to play Skirmish games and custom scenarios the most and neither one of these play modes Is included with AOE online.....

I wonder how long it will take them to add that....
    Lost Knight
    Skirmisher
    (id: huntforcollossus)
    posted 11-23-11 04:11 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32       
    They are adding AoEO skirmish mode in the next month or so.

People are asking for custom scenarios, nothing has been announced yet however.

This is my signature. Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again.

And when he gets to heaven, To saint peter he will tell- One more soldier reporting sir,
    I've served my time in hell.

Lol, that was funny. Lost Knight is my favorite bro in AoEIIIH - Eurotool
    MosheLevi
    Scenario Contest Winner
    posted 11-23-11 04:53 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32       
    Skirmish mode is good....
    I bought the Greek civ from Target for $10 and tried playing the quests but found then to be boring and tedious so I quit playing aoeO.

As for PvP, I am not much of a PvP player (most people aren't).

I will wait for the Skirmish mode and try it again.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 11-23-2011 @ 05:01 PM).]

Sir_Hans
    Scenario Expert
    posted 11-26-11 08:18 AM EDT (US)     13 / 32       
    I'm still waiting until you include the party playing in Sparta.

@MosheLevi: I was also waiting for Skirmish mode until i noticed that it'll be a DLC again -.-
    MosheLevi
    Scenario Contest Winner
    posted 11-26-11 10:33 AM EDT (US)     14 / 32       
    Jerom
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-26-11 11:18 AM EDT (US)     15 / 32       
    I think most players are PvP players :O
    Sir_Hans
    Scenario Expert
    posted 11-26-11 01:11 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32       
    They are writing every friday something about their updates in the last week and it seems like they deleted the week 10 and 11. A moderator mentioned there that it'll be a DLC. If I find it I'll post it here.
    Maffia
    AoE3H Seraph
    posted 11-28-11 07:17 AM EDT (US)     17 / 32       
    It'll be a $10 DLC (or Booster Pack), you can use it with free civ once you've bought the Skirmish Hall though.

MosheLevi
    Scenario Contest Winner
    posted 11-28-11 02:41 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32       
    As long as they release the Skirmish with many maps and many game options (as well as good AI) then I don't mind spending that extra $10.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 11-28-2011 @ 02:42 PM).]

Ha_Luke
    Sig Award Winner
    posted 11-28-11 02:49 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32       
    Only play this game if you like naval warfare.

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
    [TΣ]_Ha_Luke_331

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
    -Voltaire
    "A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. " - Plato
    Jerom
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-28-11 03:06 PM EDT (US)     20 / 32       
    Are there THAT many water maps ?
    pramit
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-28-11 03:59 PM EDT (US)     21 / 32       
    no, its just that your navy is very important for winning (high fishboat res gather rate, towers are not that effective against warships,etc)

I no longer play aoe3 actively
    I am a biology student
    skype - pramit57
    "Life is a void and void is truth"

[This message has been edited by pramit (edited 11-28-2011 @ 04:00 PM).]

Bart331
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-29-11 05:16 AM EDT (US)     22 / 32       
    you still have to win eventually on land but navy so far is not a factor you cant ignore.

Tho it is a nice micro war with lot of options

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

Maffia
    AoE3H Seraph
    posted 11-29-11 08:19 AM EDT (US)     23 / 32       
    @Mosh Skirmish Hall map list

MosheLevi
    Scenario Contest Winner
    posted 11-30-11 00:49 AM EDT (US)     24 / 32       
    @Maffia

It's a nice long list.
    It would be worth it for those who like Skirmish games.

I still play AOE3 (skirmish and scenarios) on a regular basis (believe it or not) .

I wonder how different is the game play in regards to PvP when you compare AOE3 to AOE:O.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 11-30-2011 @ 00:50 AM).]

Bart331
    Skirmisher
    posted 11-30-11 06:55 AM EDT (US)     25 / 32       
    its quite different, the emphasis lies far more on good macro (aoeo) instead of knowing some gay otto strat and practising it over and over again (aoe3)

Eventually aoeo seems more skill rewarding to me. Also the fact you cant unit ship ur way to success seems like an improvement.

For skirmish mode it doesnt make much difference, ai is pretty nub so far in both games. It probably wont take much effort to beat it. I expect the only way to get a challenge is to play 1v2 or they will need to give handicaps (like expert ai from aoe3). Tho i have seen some people in the pvp circuit who would have probably trouble beating sandbox ai.

Btw question about skirmish mode, will it be possible to play coop vs comps? Since that was acutally the mode i enjoyed most when i was WTFnoob!. Good times spamming endless instant training cuirassiers at 3 expert ai's ^^

Also maybe a good way for bad players to improve. Hopes it doesnt take away some activity from the finally a bit active pvp champion mode.

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

[This message has been edited by Bart331 (edited 11-30-2011 @ 06:58 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames