Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » How to create a cave
Bottom
Topic Subject:How to create a cave
EmperorCharles
Skirmisher
posted 07-16-12 11:48 AM EDT (US)         
Okay so I know how to create a cave but my question is how do you get the inside of the cave to be darker than the rest of the map? If you look at the campaign scenarios it is always darker in the caves than outside and I want to know how to do this.
AuthorReplies:
onfiregun17
Skirmisher
posted 08-16-12 04:59 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 10-11-12 10:39 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
You can't change the lighting in one part of the map and not another.

But you can set a trigger so that when the player's units are entering the cave, the entire map's lighting gradually dims; and when they are leaving the cave, the map's lighting gets gradually back to normal brightness.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
CaveTown
VIP
posted 11-17-12 06:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
There is one way to make the lighting dark in the cave and not outside (it still involves constantly switching the lightings, but it seems more natural during gameplay).

Lighting

1. Place many invisible cinematic blocks outside of the cave.
2. Place many invisible cinematic blocks inside of the cave.

Now, on placing the cinematic blocks: make sure there are enough to cover the about half a screen of scrolling on a moderate resolution computer. (Feel free to turn on the GRID for this placement, to help you not place too many or too little!)

3. Create 2 triggers with the Condition: Visible to Player
4. Make sure these triggers are set to Active, Loop and Run Immediately (and set the Priority to High).
5. On each trigger, place the Effect: Set Lighting
6. Also, make sure that on the Conditions settings it is set to OR on both of the triggers' Conditions (The OR button is a little under the Copy button for Conditions).

7. Select all of the cinematic blocks outside of the cave and attach them to the FIRST trigger's Condition : Visible to Player.
8. Select all of the cinematic blocks inside of the cave and attach them to the SECOND trigger's Condition : Visible to Player.

9. Set your lighting for the OUTSIDE on the FIRST trigger's Effect: Set Lighting to a daytime lighting.
10. Set your lighting for the INSIDE on the SECOND trigger's Effect: Set Lighting to a dark lighting.

After this is done, when the player goes and looks outside of the cave, the lighting will become bright.

When the player goes to look at the inside of the cave, the player will instantly see darkness.

Former level designer at Reverie World Studios.
I still do some levels for fun, though!

[This message has been edited by CaveTown (edited 11-17-2012 @ 06:53 PM).]

As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-05-12 11:15 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Holy batcave, batman. It's CaveTown!

It's been like eleventy billion ages since I've seen you around.

On-topic: one way Mèrs made caves appear dark without casting the entire outside world in a gloomy light, was teleport units entering "caves" from a piece of the map containing the cave archway, to a distant piece of the map away from the rest, where he made his cave from Cave terrain canyons and mine props.

Because players' entire screen is far away from other areas of the map, all you see while the lighting triggers are in effect, is the cave environment.

As soon as the objective is complete, the players teleport away, and the lighting rapidly becomes day as players arrive back on the main section of the map.

It's genius. The downside is, your map has to be MASSIVE to support this kind of area separation - his is something like 920 x 920.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames