You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.34 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Tactics in AoD?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Tactics in AoD?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Jackson
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-04 11:25 PM EDT (US)         
One of the things I'm most looking forward to with AoE 3 is seeing how ES handles formations and tactics.

Tactics have basically been absent from the Age of series so far. Yeah, there has been the extended rock/paper/scissors business but that's about as primitive as tactics can be. That was ok for the the first two games and AoM, but it doesn't really hold water in the colonial period. As far as I can tell from movies, books, and common sense, battle during and prior to the middle ages was pretty mixed up.

But as gunpowder takes over, battle becomes increasingly formation-driven. (Not formations-in-AoK, which are basically useless except for dissipating onager fire or whatnot).

So any decent game focusing on this period should include a lot of options - flanking, retreating, charging, etc. Stuff that you would expect from a wargame.

One of the best tactical games that I've played is Sid Meier's Gettysburg, which came out maybe 4 years ago. You can find it at pretty much any computer store for under $10 and I would recommend checking it out. It handles leadership, morale, experience, battle fatigue, formations, flanks, unit organization and so forth, all in a real-time setting. (Rather like Rome:Total War, but the graphics are really bad, and the battle system stricter).

To take the whole tactics-as-a-requirement idea to an extreme: can you imagine World War I included in a game without trench warfare? It wouldn't have the slightest resemblance to WWI.

I'm wondering how these features could be implemented in an RTS game. Which features could be included, which are unfeasable, which add to the entertainment and which make it more frustrating? Do you expect ES to include any sort of primitive battle system?

AuthorReplies:
Gen_Goobs
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 01:17 AM EDT (US)     26 / 34       
Rise of Nations wasn't a good game, so it's not something i would recommend ES learn from.

Comrade DarckRedd,

Have formations ever made a difference with anything other than siege weapons? Nope... Which is precisely everyones point.

General L. Goobs
Victim of narrow mindedness.
Red Storm
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 03:47 AM EDT (US)     27 / 34       

Quote:

Rise of Nations wasn't a good game, so it's not something i would recommend ES learn from.

That may be your opinion of the game (any particular reason why you didn't like it?), but you can't deny the fact that RoN went much deeper than a lot of other RTS games in terms of tactics and strategy.

I really don't think there's anything to worry about. ES isn't blind to the outside world, they play games just like we do, so they know how we may feel about such and such. I'm confident that formations will be much more improved and important in AoE3.

Silentflame
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 04:27 AM EDT (US)     28 / 34       

Quote:

It wasn't a masterpice in my mind either,, but there very good ideas in it..

SilentFlamE
"What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive? "

Thanatos
Skirmisher
(id: deathmaster666)
posted 02-24-05 10:28 AM EDT (US)     29 / 34       
^^^ True

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
THE_champion95
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 11:51 AM EDT (US)     30 / 34       
just one question on this thread, is this game actually gonna be called Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery cos ive noticed u wrote tactics in AoD

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
WH_demoneyekyo
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 11:54 AM EDT (US)     31 / 34       

Quote:

that caz ron is more focused in gameplay rather then the single player campain or senario or grpahic or any special magical stuff that u see in WC3. ron is purely for real RTS player that is interested in strategy.

Quote:

but then when someone is getting flanked, wont he just grab some end units and turn them to face the attempted flankers. in this then noone will be harmed more or less by the flanking, and units can surly turn faster than move so its not like it would be hard to do. this is a problem with the flank thing of RoN, if cavarly charged at your flanks, so what, you could always just turn some spearmen to face them faster than they could reach you.

this is not as simple as u think. there r lots of way to flank mainly depending on ur enemy level. n u have no idea of what flanking is really like in ron.

if ur enemy is a noob:
-just move a HC n let his unit chase after it.n the HC move from side to side.while u set ur infantry in defensive mode n flank his unit.
- or just simply avoid the HI n go for the LI (light infantry).....n since ur HI much much slower...by the time it get there.it'll do little effect. n alsop u can set aggressive mode once u move ur flanking.so ur archer can attack the HI from the back. (this really depend on micro)

if hes a higher level:
-the easiest way would to be to set ambush (where ur unit moves without being seen while within a general radius for a short period of time till they attack). the ambush will fail if the enemy have a scout or watch tower.
-other strat will require micro & micro & micro & micro.

these r extreemly simple idea..but 90% is depending on ur micro.

Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 11:55 AM EDT (US)     32 / 34       

Quote:

Hmm, 2 months old thread got bumped? We still thought the game would be called AoD for god's sake

pheasanthunter
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 01:40 PM EDT (US)     33 / 34       
I've got another use for formations. Put some pikes, archers, and monks into a box, and set them to stand ground. It's a VERY tough nut to crack with any number of horses. You can do the same with camels and cav archers, the enemy cavalry get slaghtered. I've never tried it with cataphracts and cav archers, but that would probably work really well against infantry.

I do think, however, that moves like flanking and ambushes should give you some sort of attack bonus.

w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-24-05 02:18 PM EDT (US)     34 / 34       
Imagine a box of redcoats with Battlefield Surgeons and a cannon in the middle (friendly fire turned off, I imagine) surrounded by War Dogs. Haha now I would love to see an enemy charge against that

A lot older, though no wiser.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames