You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.295 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The 8 Civs! (UnConfirmed but 90% Likely)
Bottom
Topic Subject:The 8 Civs! (UnConfirmed but 90% Likely)
« Previous Page  1 ··· 9 10 11 12  Next Page »
nifty_PS2MAN
Skirmisher
posted 01-27-05 05:56 AM EDT (US)         
The CIVS AS I Beleive it Stands, Gathered From all Tidbits of Info found on sites, Concept Art, Etc.

British, French , Spanish , German , Dutch , Portugeiuse , Italians , Japanise.

Reasons for the Civ's

British French + Spanished = Confirmed.

Portugeuse + German = Flags Seen. Portugaul Also Played an Important part in the new world, in collonising South america.

Japanise = Concept Art. + Coz That Japnise empire dood, Japan were once a world power like Britan in this time period. Conquered everything and was influenctial untill the peral harbor incident.

Italians = The Paypaycey, Cant have an Age Game Without it. So this is basicly 110% confirmation to a certain extent.

Dutch = Unconfirmed with no evidence, But People Are Talking Far and Wide that the Netherlands / Dutch will be in the game.

What do you Think?

PS2MAN
The Mythod Clan Burns To Ashes
Long Live The Phoenix!!!!
Phoenix_PS2MAN an Norse Wars Expert

Currently Recuriting Experienced NW UK Players.

[This message has been edited by nifty_PS2MAN (edited 01-27-2005 @ 08:15 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
lief ericson
Skirmisher
posted 02-15-05 06:57 PM EDT (US)     251 / 295       
The problem with the ACW is that it's a very one-sided conflict. It really only influenced the United States. It would be the equivalent of making an expansion solely based on the 100 Year's War. Not to mention that ES games are very popular in Europe and Asia as well, and ES probably wouldn't want to alienate a large part of their fan base.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-15-05 07:05 PM EDT (US)     252 / 295       
This is true, but as we're going by this 1 family campaign, the ACW would be a backdrop (although the major one) and thus other stuff would be going on as well. I mean Arkantos did loads in AoM, and didn't just focus on one thing, hence the campaign was such a success in most peoples' eyes.

Also, the British were going to ally with the 'Feds in the ACW, which could be incorporated.

It'll also be a good oppertunity to establish the two new (American) civs, and how they differ and stuff.

A lot older, though no wiser.
Lord_Morningstar
Skirmisher
posted 02-15-05 07:38 PM EDT (US)     253 / 295       

Quote:

Finally, the ACW was the first 'modern' conflict, and in terms of technology and tactics, led the way to WWI and ultimately WW2; which assuming the next game is in chronological order as the rest have been, will lead directly into the next 4 ages: the Modern Era.

This is another issue; the Civil War really belonged to a different era of warfare than the Renaissance, Baroque or Enlightenment periods, especially in the New World. We would have mass armies as opposed to colonial expeditionary forces, fieldworks as opposed to grand tactical formations, and a total dominance of basic ranged units as opposed to real unit diversity. I question whether it could be incorporated.

Quote:

It'll also be a good oppertunity to establish the two new (American) civs, and how they differ and stuff.

What, may I ask, would the Union and Confederacy be doing in 1500? Where would their home cities be? Finally, how would they differ?

Personally, I think the elimination of the colonization of the rest of the world was a curious omission from AoEIII and one that is likely to be rectified in an expansion.

w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-15-05 07:46 PM EDT (US)     254 / 295       
Yeah, you're maybe right

Oh well, it was a good dream while it lasted LOL.

PS: I really wanted to see the Confederacy fighting the Incans.

Barberousse
Skirmisher
posted 02-15-05 10:01 PM EDT (US)     255 / 295       
An x-pack focused on the ACW would be stupid... They could just add it in as a campaign, no need to make the expansion all about it, it was way too unimportant for the rest of the world at that time. Really, African/Asia colonization seems the only logical way to me. And it doesn't exclude an ACW campaign, like I said. Besides, the Americans had some business in Asia, though it was only in late 19th century.
w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-16-05 06:14 AM EDT (US)     256 / 295       
"They could just add it in as a campaign, no need to make the expansion all about it, it was way too unimportant for the rest of the world at that time."

I agree with what you say about it as a campaign. That would still be cool, as long as it was fairly well balanced.

However, you're incorrect in your statement about no one else being bothered. As I've said before, the British almost got a bill passed through Parliament to fight alongside the Confederacy, and the French had interest in joining the conflict as well. The idea being that the major focus of the ACW was slavery; and many of the European powers wanted to either keep slavery - or bring it back - and fighting for the South would have been a good way to do so.

That & the British thought it to be a good way to get some form of revenge over the US, seen as he Confederacy were far more pro-European: they hired many Hessien troops towards the end of the war, but the orders were ceased due to the fact they'd have already lost by the time they got there.

But alright, it seems my idea's in the minority. So (probably) Asian/African colonisation it is. I just thought it would be a good idea for a exp. pack, that's all

But hey, could be a campaign as you say.

Barberousse
Skirmisher
posted 02-16-05 05:41 PM EDT (US)     257 / 295       
It might have affected the european powers a bit, but it certainly didn't have nearly as much impact as, say, the previous x-pack events (Rise of Rome, Discovery of the Americas) had in their time of history.
Makis
Skirmisher
posted 02-16-05 05:46 PM EDT (US)     258 / 295       
What if instead of just adding new civs in the Ex-pack, they add a new age. Sort of expand the game a little forward in history to include the Civil War and perhaps some European events. Just an idea that I have been bouncing around here, something new for ES and probably unlikely.

"Save yourself a penny for the ferryman, save yourself and let them suffer..."
King Charles II
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 00:07 AM EDT (US)     259 / 295       
In this thread lachlan started this, but becuz originaly the thread was about HC, i posted my suggestions here:

Quoted from ES_DeathShrimp:

We have one designer who always plays the ###### and has a really defensive Home City.

Well, i kinda feel silly doing this but . . .

S1w2e3d4e5s6 =Swedes
D1a2n3i4s5h6=Danish

or it could just be . . .

F1r2e3n4c5h6=French (But we already know about the French)

∆∆∆∆∆
King Charles II
The Great King Of . . . Nothing

Fact: If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months,
enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 01:43 AM EDT (US)     260 / 295       
... or German. (Possibly, it could be Mongol )
karls
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 01:54 AM EDT (US)     261 / 295       
England, Spain, France, Portugal, netherlands - the main powers in 15-16 century + Russia(someone must fight against Napoleon), Sweden, Prussia(Germany).
Thanatos
Skirmisher
(id: deathmaster666)
posted 02-18-05 03:19 AM EDT (US)     262 / 295       
^^^ It would have to be Germans not German.
Hmm... Danish but would danes be more correct?
I guess DS is toying with us, he meant French.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42

[This message has been edited by deathmaster666 (edited 02-18-2005 @ 03:20 AM).]

Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 03:36 AM EDT (US)     263 / 295       
Polish.
Sweeping Pigeon
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 05:52 AM EDT (US)     264 / 295       
I say Russia as it has enough letters, influenced the Americas and in other RTS games such as ron it is relativly defensive.
Thanatos
Skirmisher
(id: deathmaster666)
posted 02-18-05 06:35 AM EDT (US)     265 / 295       
It wouldn't be gramatically correct to put "the" in front of russia.
I would say swedes or danish, or perhaps a prank by DS.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 07:02 AM EDT (US)     266 / 295       
Or perhaps he wasn't putting a # for each letter?

He could have just meant that guy plays as the Inca or the Americans - neither of which fit.

THE_champion95
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 08:27 AM EDT (US)     267 / 295       
i would doubt they would have a scandinavian civ.

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
Billman
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 08:32 AM EDT (US)     268 / 295       

Quote:

Polish.

Heh. Although there would be 99.9% chance of the Poles NOT being in (well more than Japan anyway ), it would be great to play as them - especially in the early ages, where they had their 'golden age'. Winged Hussars would look fantastic!

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

[This message has been edited by Billman (edited 02-18-2005 @ 08:33 AM).]

Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 04:03 PM EDT (US)     269 / 295       
Billman,

I did some basic search on the history of Poland during this time period, and I've learned that the Polish army was famous for their winged hussars and fast firing handcanoneers (I don't remember the name).

For these reasons alone, I wouldn't be surprised if ES included the Polish in AoE3 .

w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 04:10 PM EDT (US)     270 / 295       
LOL, I wouldn't mind if they were in it. Can't say I'm too fussed who is, to be honest. I mean, aside from the three confirmed civilisations - I just want Portugal & The Netherlands to be in it. Add to that another random three, and you have a really diverse game : )

Mind you, on my current EU2 game, Poland had conquered most of West Africa by 1700

achilleas
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 04:33 PM EDT (US)     271 / 295       
i just wonder why you care so much about civilizations
ok its a history BASED game, but it's still a GAME.
Civs dont affect gameplay so why bother ? :P
w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 05:07 PM EDT (US)     272 / 295       
"i just wonder why you care so much about civilizations
ok its a history BASED game, but it's still a GAME.
Civs dont affect gameplay so why bother ? :P"

Yeah. I think we should just tell ES not to bother with them in future games. We should also tell them not to bother with unique units. Oh, actually, I never liked multiplayer either.

Or the title.

Hell, let's play chess.

[This message has been edited by w00tdaddy109 (edited 02-18-2005 @ 05:11 PM).]

jakes_button
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 05:10 PM EDT (US)     273 / 295       
Ok, So I just joined this forum but I have been a fan of the AOE series all my life. I have been noticing a few things about this thread that I find concerning since people seem to be basing there assumptions on possible civs on screenshots and concept art. The biggest question I have is why no one (possibly a few people) have not guessed that Native American civs be part of the game?

Iroquois Confederacy
The Lakota (Sioux)
Cherokee

All three are possible contenders for being in this game. All of the interviews have talked about alliances with Native Americans and we have all seen concept art and screenshots of Native American civilizations. So why hasn't anyone put at least one of these major civs on their list?

Another point to be made, although this point has been made by a few other people is the possiblity of the United States being in the game. This is a tricky subject since in the first age (Age of Discovery) the United States did not exist but one must also remember that if this game does take place in the New World (North and South America) by the Industrial Age, the United States had kicked out most colonial influences and were independent. I believe it was back with Rise of Nations that I suggested that a feature be placed in the game where in the ages where the United States does not exist the gamer would play as Britain but during the Colonial period, a revolution of sorts would accure and the game would offer the gamer a chance to pick sides. From there the chance would be given to play as the United States (rebels). This is only a thought and my comments on the United States are only comments but I believe that serious thought should be made to placing Native American civs in the game. Rise of Nations: Throwns and Patriots did it and the game was awsome.

w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 05:13 PM EDT (US)     274 / 295       
1st point: Read about the game, mate. They are in it, but none of them will be playable civilisations. They are tribes you can ally with or destroy.

2nd point: I doubt they will be, though it's a possibility - seen as you have at least two ages in which they wouldn't technically exist.

Billman
Skirmisher
posted 02-18-05 05:40 PM EDT (US)     275 / 295       

Quote:

Billman,

I did some basic search on the history of Poland during this time period, and I've learned that the Polish army was famous for their winged hussars and fast firing handcanoneers (I don't remember the name).

For these reasons alone, I wouldn't be surprised if ES included the Polish in AoE3 .

Poland was certainly one of the top nations in the first half of AOE3's time frame

The winged hussars were certainly famous and the Poland commmonwealth replaced using crossbows to arquebuses pretty early on.

Another thing they would use in the 16th century was the Tabor. This was an armoured wagon train which they would use to protect their encamped army as a mobile defence.

.....but we have to remember Poland was not a colonial power or anything.

However there are a few things that are more worthy than some of the other nations wanted (...like bloody Japan ):
they started immigrating from the early 17th century(as a Polish legion with a English exploration) to late 18th century. Veteran Polish soldiers also started to immigrate to the americas after the Napoleonic wars, and also a famous Pole, Tadeusz Kosciuszko fought against the British in the American Revolution.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 9 10 11 12  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames