You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.257 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » What do you think the final two civs will be?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What do you think the final two civs will be?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11  Next Page »
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 03-25-05 06:26 AM EDT (US)         
Hi, 6 of 8 civs have now been announced (English, French, Spanish; Dutch, Portuguese, Germans). Anyone wanna take bets on the last two civs? First read this bit from ES_Sandyman in reply to complaints about there not being enough "northern" cultures:

Quoted from ES_Sandyman:

Germany and Britain aren't "northern countries"!? What do we need to add? Iceland?

So Sandyman's reply suggests that with England and Germany (and Holland) there are enough NORTHERN cultures in the game. So the last two ones may be southern cultures, whatever the hell that may mean. Here are the options according to me:

SOUTHERN options
Venice (500-1800): powerful, wealthy, cultured empire in northern Italy Captured Constantinople, allied with many larger empires, controlled mediterranean trade, fought off the Turks. Outstanding navy and army. Never had colonies in the New World, but hey, Germany didn't either.
EVIDENCE: concept art of Stradiot cavalry (circumstantial)

Ottoman Empire (1299-1923): Largest empire in the Middle East and absolute superpower until 17th century. Wealthy, powerful army. Dangerous threat to European nations, held a LARGE part of Europe, sent scientists to Africa and Indonesia to teach the natives guerilla tactics Never had colonies in the new world.
EVIDENCE: none

Austrian or Habsburg Monarchy (1526-1867) Held many parts of Central Europe, the Netherlands, Italy and the Balkan in the 1700s. Multi-cultural, influential, famous for its nobility. Never had colonies in the new world. However:

Quoted from the CGM preview:

During much of this period there was no such thing as Germany, so here they serve as an amalgam of Prussians, Austrians and others from the region.

NORTHERN options
Sweden (1521- ): One of the great powers in 17th century Europe. Won wars again Poland and Russia, aquired many parts of Scandinavia. Held small colonies in North America.
EVIDENCE: possible blue/yellow Caroliner infantry in screenshot (circumstantial)

Denmark (400- ): A smaller nordic country. Controlled trade and fishery in the nordic seas. Strong economy from 17th century on. Held colonies in the Caribbean and North Atlantic.

Russia (1613- ): When the Duchy of Moscow started expanding its territory, it quickly established one of the largest empires ever seen. Immense economic, and considerable military power. Held colonies in Alaska and California.
EVIDENCE: Nootka (northwestern native tribe) are in the game; Yukon map in the game; eagle on flag in screenshot, as on Russian flag

Poland (950-1939): large empire in northern Europe, threathened Russia, Germany, Sweden etc. Never had colonies in the new world.
EVIDENCE: eagle on flag in screenshot, as on Polish flag (circumstantial)

ASIAN options
Japan: had contacts with European traders and missionaries in the 1500s but then forbade most international contacts until 1854. Never had colonies in the new world.
EVIDENCE: concept art of Samurai infantry, possible flag in one screenshot (circumstantial)

China: lost their technological advantage after the Middle Ages and had to defend itself against European imperialism. Never had colonies in the new world.

India: large and sophisticated empire in the late Middle Ages. Never had colonies in the new world.
EVIDENCE: ES_Bigdog likes tablas (circumstantial)

I'm kinda at a loss here, what other southern, European civs from 1500-1800 were large enough to be in the game?
(and what civs remain for an X-pack :s)

Anyway, enough bullshit. Tell me what you think will be the final two civilizations of Age of Empires 3!

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination

[This message has been edited by SilentScreams (edited 03-25-2005 @ 04:55 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Midgard Eagle
Skirmisher
posted 04-28-05 09:33 AM EDT (US)     226 / 257       
<quote>1. your opinion
2. your point being....?
3. wow i can almost see the flag waving now and the cries of USA!! USA!!</quote>
Of course those points aren't relevant one bit. I was joking, buddy.

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie
goggan
Skirmisher
posted 04-28-05 10:36 AM EDT (US)     227 / 257       
You aren't talking about the same person.
Mosilla is talking about Gustav IV Adolf and doctorgonzo about Gustav II Adolf.
styrbiorn
Skirmisher
posted 04-28-05 11:07 AM EDT (US)     228 / 257       
Indeed, and Gustav IV Adolf was indeed the personification of incompetence. Delusioned, he believed he was as great a commander as the king he was named after, and used to waltz about wearing Karl XII's old uniform to "proof" it. He was eventually and deservedly ousted from the throne.

[This message has been edited by styrbiorn (edited 04-28-2005 @ 11:08 AM).]

Masilla
Skirmisher
posted 04-28-05 03:19 PM EDT (US)     229 / 257       
Exactly! He was a dumbass. Sweden would still own Finland if he was alittle smarter.

Hmm... What?
doctorgonzo
Skirmisher
posted 04-28-05 06:32 PM EDT (US)     230 / 257       
<quote>You aren't talking about the same person.
Mosilla is talking about Gustav IV Adolf and doctorgonzo about Gustav II Adolf </quote>

Oops! I guess I got mixed up. Sorry about that, I don't know much about Gustav IV.

Tonight we dance, for tomorrow they release the dogs.

ESO2. I'm not that great.

Blitzer_231
Skirmisher
posted 04-28-05 11:29 PM EDT (US)     231 / 257       
Proof from Gamespy for Ottomans:

Quote:

Although Ensemble likes to give their games an authentic historical 'feel,' they never constrain themselves just to the facts. For this reason, players can play "what if?" scenarios, playing out the results of aggressive Russian colonization in the New World or the results if the Ottoman Empire had decided to focus its considerable might on colonizing the other hemisphere. Meanwhile, a sweeping single-player campaign will follow the lives three generations of a particular family and its adventures in the Americas. (We saw little of the single-player campaign during this visit, save for a couple of in-engine cutscenes notable because the graphics were incredible even as the camera zoomed in to individual characters' faces).

Click HERE if you need a spam blocker!! Click HERE if you love kittens and puppies!!
Click HERE if you believe in logic!! Click HERE if you plan to go outside!!
Anti-Climatic winner of LPW 17
Elpea needs your brain creativity
ES_Bigdog
VIP
posted 04-29-05 01:23 AM EDT (US)     232 / 257       
Yup, those are the last two.

dave

Blitzer_231
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 01:33 AM EDT (US)     233 / 257       
The search is over!!!

Click HERE if you need a spam blocker!! Click HERE if you love kittens and puppies!!
Click HERE if you believe in logic!! Click HERE if you plan to go outside!!
Anti-Climatic winner of LPW 17
Elpea needs your brain creativity

[This message has been edited by Blitzer_231 (edited 04-29-2005 @ 02:08 AM).]

Hal4
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 01:45 AM EDT (US)     234 / 257       
Waal, I think that's awesome. Do the Ottomans get elephants? I really hope they get elephants.

Well, now we will finish talking and go to his funeral dinner.
Don't be put out at our eating pancakes-
it's a very old custom and there's something nice in that!
You don't know it, but you belong here
Thebean
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 02:48 AM EDT (US)     235 / 257       
Oh dear, I really wanted Scandinavia to be in.

Meteora is a pissy bitch

Dio is Trentin Anthony Tracanna
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 05:10 AM EDT (US)     236 / 257       
Ok I think the guesswork is over

Most people expected the Russians, which turned out to be right. However, the second next voted was Sweden, with Denmark and Scandinavia as alternatives. Turns out ES went with the more interesting option (as well as my personal favorite): the Ottomans!

Now that we know all the civilizations, we can speculate on their attributes in gameplay. Thanks all for contributing to this rather long thread. A mod can close this if desired

[This message has been edited by SilentScreams (edited 04-29-2005 @ 05:11 AM).]

goggan
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 07:29 AM EDT (US)     237 / 257       
For a Swede, this is a sad day.
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 08:49 AM EDT (US)     238 / 257       
I can imagine, I'd frankly expected the Swedes as well. Perhaps in the X-pack?

Barberousse
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 09:16 AM EDT (US)     239 / 257       
How can someone expect the Ottomans to have elephants? The Ottoman Empire, at it's fullest extent, never had elephants in it's territory.
Alonzo
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 09:17 AM EDT (US)     240 / 257       
The Ottoman civilization in America? That is equal to find a pineapple tree on the northpole
Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 04-29-05 10:39 AM EDT (US)     241 / 257       
I'm so dissapointed.

There are too many European civs, and I doubt they'll all look very different besides a little texturing here and there. An Asian civ would have been alot cooler.

Besides, there go all my scenario designing ideas. Plllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeassse ES atleast add some Samurai and a few Jap buildings for editor-only!

Alonzo
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 10:53 AM EDT (US)     242 / 257       
Now when almost all facts are published, why not publish the game also?
Taufiq Khan
Skirmisher
(id: Shala_T)
posted 04-29-05 12:49 PM EDT (US)     243 / 257       
And so dies one of my favourite threads...
lol

★★★★★
SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 12:51 PM EDT (US)     244 / 257       
Glad you liked it as soon as I think of another good subject for speculation, I'll make a new thread. I rather enjoyed this one myself.

Zalpacuiztli
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 01:41 PM EDT (US)     245 / 257       
I don't understand why the Ottomans are in the game... they just don't fit in, and they left out a nation such as Sweden which did have presence in the New World.

"I HATE THE WORLD AND IT HATES ME TOO"
Loser of Mithrandir_88's Non-Award for Losing the "Whoever Gets the Last Post Loses" Thread
Winner of the "Craziest Forummer Award" AoMH Semi-Annual Awards '03
Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AOM

[This message has been edited by Zalpacuiztli (edited 04-29-2005 @ 01:48 PM).]

BloTo
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 02:03 PM EDT (US)     246 / 257       
becuase sweden did not have a very distinctive military. there is nothing special about them, they would just be a boring dutch and german replica i reckon. ottoman give the game diversity, samne witht the russians. there is already 2 kind of scandinavien civs. i think ottomans is a great choice, quit whining. :P

Eso: scuzz
Thebean
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 02:11 PM EDT (US)     247 / 257       

Quote:

there is already 2 kind of scandinavien civs.

Really? Where?

I don't think so.

Meteora is a pissy bitch

Zalpacuiztli
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 02:16 PM EDT (US)     248 / 257       
Well I said Sweden is a better option because this is a game about the conquest of the New World and Sweden had a part in that event, something the Ottomans didn't, so I know they are cool and that they will add a lot of variety to the game, but I don't like the idea of putting a "what if" civ while leaving another that really did something related to the game. But well, it seems everyone is happy with the Ottomans, so won't complain anymore... and I will definitely play as them if they have Istambul as their Home City

"I HATE THE WORLD AND IT HATES ME TOO"
Loser of Mithrandir_88's Non-Award for Losing the "Whoever Gets the Last Post Loses" Thread
Winner of the "Craziest Forummer Award" AoMH Semi-Annual Awards '03
Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AOM
BloTo
Skirmisher
posted 04-29-05 03:26 PM EDT (US)     249 / 257       
i was refering the germanic civ and the dutch one, i understand that these are nto scandanavien, but they're troops and architecture will be similar.

Eso: scuzz
ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 04-30-05 00:11 AM EDT (US)     250 / 257       
They have Constantinople as their Home City. It wasn't renamed to Istanbul until 1930.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames