You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.74 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Cannons!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Cannons!
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
SuperTr00pers
VIP
posted 04-14-05 04:41 PM EDT (US)         

Cannons are probably my favorite unit in the game. Now my favorite unit changes depending on what strategy I just found or what map I am on but cannons have a visceral appeal that is just hard to explain unless you have played the game or watched them at work.

Anyway I wanted to get your feelings about cannons. What do you think of when you think of cannons? Any random thoughts are welcome. Letís try and keep this thread positive though. Stories and picture are always a plus too.

[D4KU]

AuthorReplies:
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 04:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 74       
lol, looks like the game is too much fun to not talk about it
anyway when I think of cannons I think about units dieing en masse and these old heavy things they have sometimes at old castles or other historical buildings
king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 04:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 74       

Quote:

What do you think of when you think of cannons?

I think of hige seiges of cities. Thats when I have the most fun AOK, not when they're obliterating my castle..but when I'm destroying theirs With the simply breath taking effects of buildngs being torn apart, cannons will be huge fortunately (and unfortunately ). Also, since trebs and cannons were only useful at ranged, they'll be excellent for defensive positions, destroying troops trying to take your fort..watching them blown away. MAN, I cannot WAIT. I need an official video...

However, are there trebuchets at all in this game? I've heard nothing about them, only cannons.

[This message has been edited by king of ages (edited 04-14-2005 @ 04:49 PM).]

Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 04-14-05 04:48 PM EDT (US)     3 / 74       
I think of Cannons like the big beautiful God Powers in AoM, it's that moment in the game where you ignore many things just to sit there and watch this thing. I can imagine cannons just having this awesome sound effect that will shake my windows (max volume of course ) and just put fear into the enemy when he notices it.

In Brothers in Arms (WW2 game) when an enemy tank is seen, it generally makes me just go crazy on trying to find a strategy and protect myself agaisnt that thing, I imagine Cannons will have the same effect in the game.

Here's a cool video of a mini-cannon:
http://www.cannon-mania.com/images/action/fire.mpg

rel4xed
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 04:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 74       
I think of redcoats getting their heads blowed off, and cool "boom"-sounds. I hope there are some nice sound effects in Ao3.

Greetings, I'm Synthax.
SirKT 2k+ clan
king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 04:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 74       

Quote:

Here's a cool video of a mini-cannon:
http://www.cannon-mania.com/images/action/fire.mpg

That reminds me of a mini cannon my uncle owned. He played around with it every once in a while. It didn't shoot anything but an equivant of a 'blank'. He'd get it all prepared and loaded then told us to cover our ears.

Now this was many years ago, and I'm like "eh, it can't be much louder than a gunshot..." WRONG. He fired that baby and my ears rang like crazy and the windows of the nearby house shook, geez that was loud.. It was cool.. He's lucky the cops don't come to see what he was firing. Every time I watch a old time movie like that, I wonder about those guys that fire round after round..and the guys that have to defeat those things.. Phew.. I'm glad I'm not in war...

johnn
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 04:58 PM EDT (US)     6 / 74       
I think of the really annoying bombard cannons you allways faced when playing against a hard computer opponent in Aok. Hopefully they won't be as annoying in Aoe3.
fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 04:59 PM EDT (US)     7 / 74       
Bowling balls knocking down pins.
Dismemberment.
Large holes.
Lots of damage.
Visual of the troops going through the motions of cleaning the barrel, loading the cannonball, and igniting the powder.
Horses rearing up when the cannonball crushses nearby troops and the horse rider falling on his ass.
Belerofon
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 05:00 PM EDT (US)     8 / 74       
I think in AoE3 cannons are more like heros. You really dont want to lose them because they are expensive (my guess anyway) and very powerful. So I think of them as a very powerful unit that can destroy units in mass in one shot. From what I know about cannons and what I think of them is that they are always good against buildings and mass inf. Though I also think one must need a certain amount of skill to use them effectively.

I can already see players training heaps of cannons in the later game and guarding them with the strongest inf/cav.

Dont worry, be happy.
Ajs77311
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 05:03 PM EDT (US)     9 / 74       

Oh, you mean the big things that go boom.
Ya, ES, you better make them good! It sounds really fun to bombard your enemy from afar.
ANd I don't want them to bee too expensive that you don't see them (Like Bigdog (I think) said about the testing with trading posts and when they made it cheap/expensive, I want something like that) a lot, but cost enough for it be not just canons.

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

[This message has been edited by Ajs77311 (edited 04-14-2005 @ 05:05 PM).]

king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 05:03 PM EDT (US)     10 / 74       
Concern: Cannons as godly as they sound need to have a definite weakness. I don't want 5 cannons ruling the game, taking out bunches of infantry and blowing buildings apart. Are they weak to calvary? If calvary fires at them, the cannons have a greater chance to miss? Just want to make sure the cannons stay balanced and reasonable..

Titanus
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 05:04 PM EDT (US)     11 / 74       
Ahhh yes cannons, I emediatly think of the 1800's for some reason. Than the Nazi coastal guns on World War 2. And finally complete death and destruction mixed with a hint of fear on top.

Hummm.....why do I get the feeling that you guys need more Ideas for cannons?

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost five seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Elpea
Hal
posted 04-14-05 05:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 74       
I don't think they're trying to get any ideas on anything, they're just asking our thoughts on cannons.

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 04-14-2005 @ 05:06 PM).]

Popemaster_Joef
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 05:08 PM EDT (US)     13 / 74       
That reminds me, in the vid, the cannon took one shot at the mass of troops, and nothing happened (besides they're health being lowered) That looked kinda weird when the first cannon ball does nothing besides explode (cannonballs werent explosive?) and then the second one sends multiple people flying like ten feet.
Elpea
Hal
posted 04-14-05 05:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 74       
Cannonball didn't explode, it seems to hit the ground, cause a small earth shake then continued to roll.

Wijitmaker
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 05:12 PM EDT (US)     15 / 74       
Sound is critical we need bass, lots of bass.
Ajs77311
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 05:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 74       
^^^Indeed

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

rodgers24888
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 05:35 PM EDT (US)     17 / 74       
That's cool if only sometimes they explode. Cannons weren't that reliable all that time ago so using this to help balance them that's cool. It will prove useful say if you have your army marching a long and you s**t yourself because you see a huge cannon on the top of a hill, but then to your relief the cannon ball doesn't explode and your men survive. That would add tension I reckon as well as realism and balance.

When I think of cannons I think of something totally destructive, something that will devastate the enemy. Blowing huge holes into the enemyís defenses. I can totally understand why they are your favorite units. Cannons and havok physics = fun. I really can't wait to see them in action. Hopefully we'll get a glimpse at E3.

Oh yeah and crazy bass so they sound amazing.

Lysimachus
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 05:47 PM EDT (US)     18 / 74       
Just a little correction, all of you are saying "Cannons" wrong. You do not attach an "S" at the end of "Cannon" for the plural.

The correct English is thus:

"My 300 cannon are stuck in the mud, and Wellington is sitting duck"

Get it now?

As this is a topic about cannon, let us discuss the subject like gentlemen.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 04-14-2005 @ 05:54 PM).]

comador02
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 06:02 PM EDT (US)     19 / 74       
There is a song on my keyboard/piano called "Canon". Part of that song is on the game "HappyLand" which I think you can get "HappyLand" at ww.gamehippo.com

http://www.gamehippo.comHappyland(not a download link)

Forgive and forget, just don't forget to forgive.~Comador02

<<<---Location

[This message has been edited by God (edited 11-19-2120 @ 2:38 PM).]

[This message has been edited by comador02 (edited 04-14-2005 @ 06:02 PM).]

barley_n_oats
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 06:40 PM EDT (US)     20 / 74       
cannon = death.

I want to see cannons taking high ground, blasting away rank after rank of troopers storming the hill.

ESO: oats
ESO2: dirtyoatmeal
Innovan
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 07:15 PM EDT (US)     21 / 74       
There's two different things here to explode:

Cannon misfiring and exploding. They can only be used so many shots, eventually the stress induced cracks will cause a breech and destroy the cannon in the process of firing.

Fuse timed explosive cannon munitions, which I believe existed at the time of the Mexican-American war. Some time after the shot is fired out it explodes into shrapnel based on the length of the timed fuse. The fuses sometimes are lost when fired, rendering the whole shot a dud. They're still finding unexploded duds fired during the siege of Vicksburg.

[This message has been edited by Innovan (edited 04-14-2005 @ 07:16 PM).]

Indum
Banned
posted 04-14-05 07:24 PM EDT (US)     22 / 74       
I see explosions, people's lives flashing by and a big 'YOU WIN' when I think of cannons
Imortal Odysseus
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 07:34 PM EDT (US)     23 / 74       
they shouldnt make cannon to good, cause we say we like to wreak havok on others with them, but we wont like it when they show up at our front door...

THE DEATH OF ONE IS A TRAGEDY
THE DEATH OF MILLIONS IS JUST A STATISTIC
Mythos_Ruler
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 07:44 PM EDT (US)     24 / 74       
There were 3 basic types of cannon shot.

1.) Solid rounds - basically solid iron bowling balls. Good for ripping through ship sides and generally knocking things around.

2.) Explosive charges - a hollow version of the above, packed with explosives. These DID explode like you see in the movies. Good against wooden buildings and dense infantry formations. They'd explode in a fireball, hurling shrapnel in all directions.

3.) Grape Shot - think of a huge shotgun round with a bunch of smaller half-dollar sized bbs. Great for ripping infatry to shreds. When low on true ammo, can be replaced with broken up horse shoes, nails, rocks, etc.

There were other types as well, but rarely used. There was something called Chain Shot with, you guessed it, a chain hanging from it that would rip through infantry and ship sails.

You definately don't want a battery of cannon bearing down on you and your parading buddies.

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 04-14-2005 @ 07:45 PM).]

ShadoAngel
Skirmisher
posted 04-14-05 08:19 PM EDT (US)     25 / 74       

Quote:

What do you think of when you think of cannons?

Fun.

ShadoAngel /-| Special Ops Paintball | Red vs Blue |-\
"Lord what fools these mortals be!" ~Shakespeare
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames