Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.41 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » ensemble label
Bottom
Topic Subject:ensemble label
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
koalicki
Skirmisher
posted 04-26-05 08:46 PM EDT (US)         
Whats the ensemble stock market label? and what country is it located in / Canada or the USA.

Just wanna see how they r doin

AuthorReplies:
Mythos_Ruler
Skirmisher
posted 04-27-05 04:25 PM EDT (US)     26 / 41       
I am curious. Who "owned" ES before the acquisition and why did that owner sell the company? It seems to me, if the point of owning a running a game company is "for the games", then why sell? Wouldn't you want control over your own company? I would, personally, unless I "wanted out" for some reason.
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 04-27-05 05:00 PM EDT (US)     27 / 41       
ES owned itself prior to microsoft buying up... and their are many fininacial benifits to being in micrsoft, so u can make better games....

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Vuredel
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 05:49 PM EDT (US)     28 / 41       
    As has been already mentioned, Microsoft has loads of financial capital (money), so any game-making company that they own, like ES, has much more money to work with, which provides them with the freedom they need to make a game as good as they possibly can.

If a company is on its own, development is limited by the size of the funds they can scrape together, plus that's just one more thing to worry about.

An acquiring company can make all the decisions they want when it comes to how the acquired company operates, but I believe Microsoft affords ES a lot of freedom as far as what they can put in their games. One exception, of course, would be the hats that the Turkish janissaries in AoK wore, because Microsoft thought it made the units look like members of the Ku Klux Klan (which is absurd, but hey ).

Edit: Actually, since Deathshrimp says ES was independent up to and through AoM, that means that the janissary decision was made not because MS owned ES, but because MS was the publisher and would not have bought the game if the hats had been left in.

[This message has been edited by Vuredel (edited 04-27-2005 @ 05:53 PM).]

Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 06:19 PM EDT (US)     29 / 41       
    hehe, being politically correct is so dumb

• ES_DeathShrimp
    VIP
    posted 04-27-05 10:28 PM EDT (US)     30 / 41       

Quote:

I am curious. Who "owned" ES before the acquisition and why did that owner sell the company? It seems to me, if the point of owning a running a game company is "for the games", then why sell? Wouldn't you want control over your own company? I would, personally, unless I "wanted out" for some reason.

DS: Our president and a group of shareholders (including many ES employees) owned the company (but it still wasn't publicly traded). As for why you'd want to be acquired, here are a few reasons:

1) You don't have to worry about making payroll in the off-years when you aren't shipping a game.

2) You don't have to spend so much time and energy whining and dining potential publishers to do your game.

3) You don't have to spend a lot of time and resources on the less glamorous parts of game development, like administration, managing a health care system, marketing, etc.

4) You don't have an adversarial relationship with your publishiher, arguing about milestone deliverables and the like.

5) When you try and work with a publisher as an independent developer, there is no large scale portfolio management. If you pitch an RTS, you don't know if they already have 3 RTS games in development at the time.

6) Publishers are more likely to use their strength (say to procure advertising or convention floor space) if you're both trying to push the same message rather than the developer wanting to get their name out their, and the publisher worrying about their own brand. Now when Ensemble Studios gets mentioned in a good light, that benefits Microsoft, so they're happy.

Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-28-05 00:05 AM EDT (US)     31 / 41       
    Does microsoft really let u do what u want with the game or do u have to get each game/idea approved like with normal publishers

• Silk
    Royal Guard
    (id: LordThom)
    posted 04-28-05 10:19 AM EDT (US)     32 / 41       
    Hehe, notice how things developed by Microsoft owned companies (e.g. Halo, AoE) are excellent, while their own products (Windows and it's subsiduary programs) are complete and utter crap?

I can see the advantages of having them as a publisher though.

Silk
    Spore | Whisper | Girl Genius
    Alvays remember: any plan where hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN.
    OMGWTFBBQ
    Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-28-05 11:33 AM EDT (US)     33 / 41       
    Name me one OS that is better than Microsoft and than u can say it is....

and plz dont say mac, cause they arnt

• Ajs77311
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-28-05 02:25 PM EDT (US)     34 / 41       
    I guess it is pretty nice that ES is under ES, and like ES_PieThief said:

Quote:

IMO being under the MS umbrella is a good thing, because we can worry more about making awesome games that everyone wants to play and less about do we have the money to finish this project.

As long as ES keeps it's name, I'm happy.

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

oratowsky
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-28-05 11:28 PM EDT (US)     35 / 41       

Quote:

and plz dont say mac, cause they arnt

Sorry, but I just have to give you this schpiel.

1. Macs are stabler.

The Mac OS's underlying core relys on BSD Unix, and utlizes protected memory technology. Protected memory is where each application has its own real time alloted slot of memory which cannot under any circumstance be used by other applications. This means that when one application crashes (which is rare to begin with) the system remains 100% unaffected, meaning an uninterupted workflow.

The core OS tends to be less buggy then Windows too. Take, for example, the registry. The windows registry is so flawed that it accounts for a good number of Windows problems. On Mac, there is no such thing.

2. Macs are faster.

Due to the PowerPC architecture, a different machine level languange is implented, RISC. In a Wintel Beige Box, the machine langue is x86. RISC can achieve the same floating point operation in fewer CPU cycles than x86 can, meaning faster user level performance. This is a primary factor in why, despite having lower clock frequencys, in benchmarks macs are faster. A 1Ghz G4 can outperform a 2Ghz P4.

The new G5's are currently the worlds most advanced personal computer, period. Looking purely at hardware architecture, the G5 is the fastest processor on the planet.

3. The Mac OS interface is better.

The aqua interface is beautiful and full of eye candy. The liquid turqoise bars are stunning. The minimize effect is really cool too.Things in the Mac OS are generally better placed and easier to work with by intuition.

4. Macs are cooler.

I got into a conversation with a cute girl just because my friends 12" PowerBook attracted her attention. 'Nuff said.

5. Macs are geekier.

Anytime within the Mac OS, you can bring up a UNIX shell and use the machine like a UNIX box. This has proved incredibly useful sometimes, let me tell you that.

Start shooting counter arguments and I'll bring em down as I get 'em.

"Are the boy villagers or the girl villagers better for chopping wood?" -n00b
    "Founded |AKA| (now e8) with hoopdreams."
    Silk
    Royal Guard
    (id: LordThom)
    posted 04-28-05 11:57 PM EDT (US)     36 / 41       
    @oratowsky

I agree with you on all but the interface, which I find a pain the the ass to use.

Basicly any Linux build/UNIX Based OS outperforms Doze, which is every other OS out there as far as I know.

Windows is only popluar because the unwashed masses are idiots.

Silk
    Spore | Whisper | Girl Genius
    Alvays remember: any plan where hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN.
    OMGWTFBBQ
    oratowsky
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-29-05 11:35 PM EDT (US)     37 / 41       
    @ Silk:

Lol. MAC POWER!!!

Yes, the masses are idiots. I think the fact that bush won again proves this quite clearly. *gets flamed*

"Are the boy villagers or the girl villagers better for chopping wood?" -n00b
    "Founded |AKA| (now e8) with hoopdreams."
    Elpea
    Hal
    (id: lp_usa)
    posted 04-30-05 00:27 AM EDT (US)     38 / 41       
    If you like Macs, use Macs and leave people who prefer Windows alone. Stop trying to push your opinion onto everyone else saying "your" OS is cooler than whatever the crap I use... I use it for a reason, and so do millions of others.

While I agree the Mac is very nice, I stick to what I've used for years without any major problems.

king of ages
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-30-05 05:28 PM EDT (US)     39 / 41       

Quote:

Hehe, notice how things developed by Microsoft owned companies (e.g. Halo, AoE) are excellent, while their own products (Windows and it's subsiduary programs) are complete and utter crap?

You have a point there.. MS games are really great, but easily every MS program can be beat by a rival system... maybe MS should hire different people for their programs too :P

Ooh, and can a ES Dev say "Hello" to bill gates for me Tell him I could use $100,000 (pocket change to him)

xX BioHazard Xx
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-30-05 05:42 PM EDT (US)     40 / 41       
    The one major thing that separates Macs, Linux and Windows and it is compatability.

Bill Gates is probably sent hundreds of emails a day asking for money... they all just get filtered out :P.

ES is well known for good RTS games and Microsoft owns them so they're happy that they have ES with them.

Spam: To post irrelevant or inappropriate messages
    Please use appropriate grammar and spelling when making a post.
    -·=»«=·-~-=:o:=-~-·=»«=·-
    «(-[=BioHazard=]-)»
    -·=»«=·-~-=:o:=-~-·=»«=·-
    URep_Fuzzy
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-30-05 06:48 PM EDT (US)     41 / 41       
    Sure complain and whine about MS.
    Windows is the most popular OS.
    MS makes most of the popular programs.
    Gee I wonder why people still buy their products if they suck so much? I wish I could sell people a shitty product and bring in hedge profits every year, damn nice concept eh?

My point here is, your little criticism is annoying, find an OS system that works for you best and keep it to yourself and your friends/programmers (I am sure you have some kind of a Windows “hate forum”). And if you really are such an Expert, make one yourself, HEY Windows really sucks, I am sure YOU can fix all the problems, Next thing you know YOU will be making more money than Bill Gates... Go for it.

(for the lesser smart people I was sarcastic).

GL Pahlen's cavalry and Cossacks also got their share of cannonballs and canister from the Grand Battery and were obliged to withdraw out of the field of fire.
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames