Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.41 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » ensemble label
Bottom
Topic Subject:ensemble label
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
koalicki
Skirmisher
posted 04-26-05 08:46 PM EDT (US)         
Whats the ensemble stock market label? and what country is it located in / Canada or the USA.

Just wanna see how they r doin

AuthorReplies:
WhoAskedU
Skirmisher
posted 04-26-05 08:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 41       
It is located in Texas, USA.

Now the stock market label...who knows...but it is owned by Microsoft...

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
•••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
•••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.
koalicki
Skirmisher
posted 04-26-05 08:55 PM EDT (US)     2 / 41       
thanks, but if i look at the main microsoft stock i doubt ill be able to notice a difference caused by ensemble. theres too much

btw the microsoft symbol is msft i think

Hal4
Skirmisher
posted 04-26-05 09:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 41       
I don't think Ensemble is publicly traded.

Well, now we will finish talking and go to his funeral dinner.
Don't be put out at our eating pancakes-
it's a very old custom and there's something nice in that!
You don't know it, but you belong here
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 04-26-05 10:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 41       
hehe, yeah they arnt that big

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Steel_Cat
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-26-05 11:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 41       
    I would be surprised if ES was publicly traded, and I'm fairly certain Microsoft does not own them.

"Its never the things that happen to us that upset us, its our view of them." -Epictetus
    Dual GeForce 256MB 6800 GT over SLI PCI Express x8...aaaaw yeah.
    My ESO2 Stats | Screenshot Archive
    Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-26-05 11:30 PM EDT (US)     6 / 41       
    Microsoft does own em.....

• Mooocow
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-26-05 11:40 PM EDT (US)     7 / 41       
    i'm pretty sure microsoft does not own them, why would their name be on the games? just let actual microsoft take the credit...

also i know ALOT about ES, ive played all fo their games through at least once, and played conquerors for 5+ years straight

Brother, spoke the four as one, togther we shall rule, surrender to the darkness within you heart you know holds true. In his hand the sword of Khaine did promise power untold, As god of light and god of murder did battle for his soul.One by one the deamons fell and elf lord he stood tall, for should he fail upon his task then mortal world would fall. To this day we bow our heads to he the world did save, Anerion the proud defender, Anerion the ever brave.

oratowsky
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 00:09 AM EDT (US)     8 / 41       
    [OFFTOPIC\]
    Forum Grammar Polese, I think a ticket is in order.
    [ONTOPIC\]

Ensemble Studios is not publicly traded. I checked this a while ago with the same idea, but they're not public. Sorry.

"Are the boy villagers or the girl villagers better for chopping wood?" -n00b
    "Founded |AKA| (now e8) with hoopdreams."
    Hal4
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 00:50 AM EDT (US)     9 / 41       
    They don't list Microsoft Games as the designer because they aren't the designer. ES is owned by MS in the same way that Philip Morris [ok, so Altria, but whatever] owns Kraft.

Er... for those of you who have no idea what that means: Philip Morris is a major manufacturer of cigarettes (brands include Marlboro) which owned Kraft, a food company. Within the past few years, Philip Morris was renamed Altria, so now technically the correct way to phrase the organization is that Altria Group owns Philip Morris as well as Kraft. The point is, Kraft was owned by Philip Morris, but it was still "Kraft Macaroni and Cheese," because Kraft still existed (and I drive by its headquarters every day to work, so I'm fairly sure about this).

Just because company A owns company B doesn't mean company B no longer exists. That's a very different process.

Well, now we will finish talking and go to his funeral dinner.
    Don't be put out at our eating pancakes-
    it's a very old custom and there's something nice in that!
    You don't know it, but you belong here

[This message has been edited by Hal4 (edited 04-27-2005 @ 00:51 AM).]

ES_DeathShrimp
    VIP
    posted 04-27-05 01:09 AM EDT (US)     10 / 41       
    The stock ticket is MSFT. We are 100% Microsoft. It says Microsoft on my insurance card. I can trace the hierarchy above me up to Bill.

Ensemble made several games (up to AOM) as an independent company with Microsoft as our publisher. We never really considered being publicly traded -- the stock market generally wants quarterly performance, and game developers tend to go for 2-3 years without new products.

When we became part of Microsoft, they knew we already had a brand identity, so they wanted us to keep the name Ensemble Studios alive (for all I know, that was probably spelled out in the acquisition).

Now we are one of the studios (not really companies) part of Microsoft Game Studios, along with studios like Bungie.

Kumar Shah
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 01:12 AM EDT (US)     11 / 41       
    Ensemble and Bungie under one roof...thats like a dream come true

Can you do the Double Yoda?
    A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
    URep_Fuzzy
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 01:16 AM EDT (US)     12 / 41       
    Keep your posts on the point, no need to put other stuff in there - Kumar Shah

Stop the "Forum Grammar Polese" and and I won't be annoyed every time I read a pointless post like the one above.

Now Ensemble Studios Corporation is a subsidiary of MS. It was bought out for $100 million (nice little change) after the success of Age of Empires. In other words, ES does not trade on the stock market.
    Besides, game companies aren't very successful in the stock markets anyway. Project times are very long and financial statements require lots of disclose (if you are working on a great game you don‘―t necessarily want to disclose the information). In addition, to even stay profitable, they need to make a hit game which isn't as easy as it sounds and takes a lot of time.

GL Pahlen's cavalry and Cossacks also got their share of cannonballs and canister from the Grand Battery and were obliged to withdraw out of the field of fire.

[This message has been edited by URep_Fuzzy (edited 04-27-2005 @ 01:36 AM).]

Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 01:16 AM EDT (US)     13 / 41       
    Send a letter to bill gates telling him i love windows

• Ajs77311
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 11:06 AM EDT (US)     14 / 41       

Quote:

We are 100% Microsoft

God dam-
    EA and Microsoft do I hate much passion with, why must they buy every freaking thing.

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

ES_PieThief
    VIP
    posted 04-27-05 11:11 AM EDT (US)     15 / 41       
    God dam-
    EA and Microsoft do I hate much passion with, why must they buy every freaking thing.

I can't speak for EA, as I've never worked there, although some of my coworkers have. But I can say that Microsoft does care a lot about the quality of games we make, which is why they invested money into acquiring Ensemble. Having worked elsewhere, and it's rather refreshing to be honest, there are a lot of publishers / owners of game studios who care a LOT less about the quality of the games than Microsoft does, believe me. IMO being under the MS umbrella is a good thing, because we can worry more about making awesome games that everyone wants to play and less about do we have the money to finish this project.

Thebean
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 11:13 AM EDT (US)     16 / 41       
    Don't forget that Microsoft DO make good games. Name the last MS game that absolutely flopped.

You can think what you like about the company, but the games under it's name are nearly always good.

Meteora is a pissy bitch

Dio is Trentin Anthony Tracanna
    Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 11:18 AM EDT (US)     17 / 41       
    EA is..... but microsoft while they do basicly have a monopoly create wonderful products... If u dont like em dont buy from em... consumers make monopoies

• Ajs77311
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 11:19 AM EDT (US)     18 / 41       
    Well not as much as MS, but EA buying the licences to football makes me mad, I guess it's just the big company thing which makes me not like MS.
    But anyway, will the ES logo still be on the box or just MS?

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 12:02 PM EDT (US)     19 / 41       
    ES is the Develper.... Microsoft is the Publisher... So both will be on it... dont worry

• Lysimachus
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 12:21 PM EDT (US)     20 / 41       
    I also believe that Ensemble Studios is located in one of those skyscrapers in down-town Dallas Texas. I remember passing through Dallas at night time. It reminded me of a "techno city". After all, it's the tech capital of the US, is it not?

I really wanted to stop by and visit on my way through there, but unfortunately, it was like 2pm. I don't think ES would have liked me knocking on their door at 2pm. ROFL!

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
    achilleas
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 12:24 PM EDT (US)     21 / 41       
    I read once a journal by an EA programmer. As I understood the situation was absolutely terrible. I hate EA. They buy good names and turn them to shit (most of the times)

If i would give an example of the best game developer company that is of course.. Blizzard.

Taufiq Khan
    Skirmisher
    (id: Shala_T)
    posted 04-27-05 12:30 PM EDT (US)     22 / 41       

Quote:

Name the last MS game that absolutely flopped.

Halo 2 :P

Seriously, if ES and MS made AoM, I have no doubts AoE3 is going to be brilliant

★★★★★
    ajaxthegreater
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 03:00 PM EDT (US)     23 / 41       
    Please clear this up for me:
    When a company "buys out" another company, are they still two seperate, individual companies? What benefits do both companies get for this, and what negative (even miniscule) effects does the "bought out" company get?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diem nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut lacreet dolore. In the middle of a room stands a suicide. Magna aliguam erat volutpat. Ut wisis enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tution ullam corper suscipit lobortis. Eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum delenit au duis dolore te feugat nulla facilisi. I began at awareness.
    URep_Fuzzy
    Skirmisher
    posted 04-27-05 03:25 PM EDT (US)     24 / 41       
    When you buy more than 50% of voting shares in a company you acquire control. There are also other shareholders owing the other shares who ofcourse are ptorected by "minority rights", but you pretty much can do almost anything with it. So for example ES (I am speculating here), gives profits to MS, which in turn distributes the dividends declared among all the shareholders and the rest of the profits/losses goes into retained earnings.

GL Pahlen's cavalry and Cossacks also got their share of cannonballs and canister from the Grand Battery and were obliged to withdraw out of the field of fire.

[This message has been edited by URep_Fuzzy (edited 04-27-2005 @ 03:26 PM).]

Von Mackensens Hat
    Skirmisher
    (id: DrNick)
    posted 04-27-05 04:11 PM EDT (US)     25 / 41       

Quote:

When you buy more than 50% of voting shares in a company you acquire control.

Except that ES wasn't publicly traded so Microsoft probably contacted the owner of ES and they worked out a deal. ES is now part of Microsoft (so it's only one company) but they will keep the name ES as a devision of microsoft for branding reasons.

Microsoft has been known for its anti-competative business practices, so I really hope the original owner(s) of ES didn't get screwed in the process of being bought out.

Dr Nick
    I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames