You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.35 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » GameSpy Eras & Strategies Article is up.
Bottom
Topic Subject:GameSpy Eras & Strategies Article is up.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
yop
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 03:34 PM EDT (US)         
AuthorReplies:
Hal4
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 03:39 PM EDT (US)     1 / 35       
Oh, boo, it sounds like they've given up on the perma-Nomad start.

Well, now we will finish talking and go to his funeral dinner.
Don't be put out at our eating pancakes-
it's a very old custom and there's something nice in that!
You don't know it, but you belong here
nifty_PS2MAN
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 03:41 PM EDT (US)     2 / 35       
well how else was portugul supposed to start with 2 settlements

PS2MAN
The Mythod Clan Burns To Ashes
Long Live The Phoenix!!!!
Phoenix_PS2MAN an Norse Wars Expert

Currently Recuriting Experienced NW UK Players.
Shusky
Skirmisher
(id: Silver Husky)
posted 04-30-05 03:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 35       
Important stuff:
-Contrary to what we thought, we do start with a TC;
-"Treasures" can be found across the map that give you small resource bonuses;
-Only the Explorer can build Trade Posts;
-You can ship resources from your HC; they appear in huge, harvestable heaps near your TC;
-Unlike the previous Ages, Ao3's third age is rather short, as players rush forward;
-Really large battles start in 4th age, and at that point micro becomes crucial;
-Imperial is kind of like a Titan of Ao3; costs 10 times as much as previous ones but lets you create most awesome units.

From this description, the game sounds very "unrushable", with real action beginning late. You have to set up in the first three ages to actually hurt your opponent in the 4th.

It would be awesome to play a game where several players make it to Imperial. KEKEKE BIG BERTHA BUILD ^_^

[This message has been edited by Shusky (edited 04-30-2005 @ 03:47 PM).]

Rec_room
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 03:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 35       

Quote:

Oh, boo, it sounds like they've given up on the perma-Nomad start.

Quote:

Contrary to what we thought, we do start with a TC

I thought it was common knowlege that you start with a tc, its just in cart form and can be moved around. I don't think this changes anything about the perma-Nomad style play.

Its not paranoia if they are really after you, is it?

[ quote ] I find it funny how many people don't know how to us these.[ / quote ]

[This message has been edited by Rec_Room (edited 04-30-2005 @ 03:47 PM).]

Shusky
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 03:48 PM EDT (US)     5 / 35       

Quote:

There's usually a good supply of resources around the town center.

Sounds stationary to me, but maybe they worded it wrong.

Vuredel
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 03:51 PM EDT (US)     6 / 35       
Heh, I like how Explorers are immortal.
yop
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 03:52 PM EDT (US)     7 / 35       

Quote:

-You can ship resources from your HC; they appear in huge, harvestable heaps near your TC;

I wonder if those shipments can be stolen by an ennemy if your TC was destroyed or if you got pushed back before you collected them all... I would guess that yes.

Musketeers seem to be a basic unit as soon as the second age. With almost/maybe no military in the first age, I wonder if there will be european archers as ES stated a while back. (archers beside Native special units I mean)

[This message has been edited by yop (edited 04-30-2005 @ 03:58 PM).]

Rec_room
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 03:56 PM EDT (US)     8 / 35       
Explorers remind me of Aom single player hero's.

Quote:

There's usually a good supply of resources around the town center.

For balance reasons I see it almost impossible for them to not have to start you in an area with similar resources to your opponent. You just get to pick if your tc is closer to the forest or the animals.

[ quote ] I find it funny how many people don't know how to us these.[ / quote ]

king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:00 PM EDT (US)     9 / 35       
**drools**

Sounds really great.

Shusky
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:02 PM EDT (US)     10 / 35       

Quote:

Musketeers seem to be a basic unit as soon as the second age. With almost/maybe no military in the first age, I wonder if there will be european archers as ES stated a while back.

There still were functional archer formations for some time after the middle ages in Europe. Most notably, the remnants of Golden Horde, which were under Ottoman control in 1600s.

Mongol vs Indian action would kick so massive amounts of ass it's dangerous to your health

Quote:

For balance reasons I see it almost impossible for them to not have to start you in an area with similar resources to your opponent. You just get to pick if your tc is closer to the forest or the animals.

Waiting for certain blue people to clear up.

Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 04-30-05 04:02 PM EDT (US)     11 / 35       

Quote:

Fortress Age

LOL, the return of the Castle Age!

yop
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:03 PM EDT (US)     12 / 35       
The article also states that Trading Posts construction is primordial in the first age, for it has a big economic impact with time. It also says that 3rd age artilley/cannons are needed to destroy those trading posts.

I hope that those trading posts are not that resistant and that they can be destroyed in the second age with moderate difficulties. If not, whoever find them first (luck game) would have a big economical advantage until the ennemy is 3rd age (which might be long) and has some artillery ready.

[This message has been edited by yop (edited 04-30-2005 @ 04:04 PM).]

Vuredel
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:04 PM EDT (US)     13 / 35       
Yeah, 'Fortress Age' sounds slightly silly to me, but they did say the names weren't necessarily set in stone.
king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     14 / 35       

Quote:

well how else was portugul supposed to start with 2 settlements

Hmm, you have a point

I wish they'd of included more details, they put hints but I can imagine a ES dev standing behind him telling him what to write.. theres hints but no details. He's not like "In the discovery age, I put a barracks and I sent several workers to work and I researched a few techs at this building. Then I built this and I had enough resources to advance. Meanwhile I sent.."

Stuff like that... I'm disappointed Oh well, soon...soon.. I'm just getting impatient

Shusky
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 35       

Quote:

"In the discovery age, I put a barracks and I sent several workers to work and I researched a few techs at this building. Then I built this and I had enough resources to advance. Meanwhile I sent.."

In AoM, you weren't allowed to talk like that even if you were part of the Alpha test, 4 months before release. I wouldn't count on something like that any time soon

Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:21 PM EDT (US)     16 / 35       
imo this article sucks, there is nothing in it I didn't know except for the threasures AND it sounds like everybody just rushes to the 4th age, unless you try to rush then you stick around in the 2nd age a bit longer. Also I find it rather stupid they try to write an article about strategies while they didn't even had to play a version with the formations in it.

For me it sounds like:
1st age: explore, find treasures & natives/trading posts
2nd age: send in reinforcements defend your outposts and go to 3rd age for cannons
3rd age: get your cannons and go to 4th age :/
4th age: big battles (wich I want earlier in the game....)

I could be completly wrong though, because they just aren't aloud to tell much.

lief ericson
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:32 PM EDT (US)     17 / 35       
Hopefully this doesn't mean that the big battles will all happen in the fourth age. I really don't want to go back to AoK, where most of the fighting ocurred only after 20 minutes of building stuff...

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
URep_Fuzzy
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:40 PM EDT (US)     18 / 35       
In my opinion it is great how Aoe III has changed.
I love the idea of developing your economies early on, and after that, when it is a well oiled machine, you start big battles for control of territory. This is very realistic and formations/flanking bonuses there can be very many long and exciting battles.

(As opposed to games like WC where you mostly have one battle, you defeat your opponent and he has almost no chance of recovery).

GL Pahlen's cavalry and Cossacks also got their share of cannonballs and canister from the Grand Battery and were obliged to withdraw out of the field of fire.
bojack
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:42 PM EDT (US)     19 / 35       
I'm sure rushing will be in AoE3 in some form or another. Way too many people like to rush for them to take it out. As long as its not almost impossible to counter and it doesn't leave the person who was rushed at a huge disadvantage like scout rushing in DoW or those toxin general rushes in zero hour, I'm fine with them.
yop
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 04:43 PM EDT (US)     20 / 35       

Quote:

Hopefully this doesn't mean that the big battles will all happen in the fourth age. I really don't want to go back to AoK, where most of the fighting ocurred only after 20 minutes of building stuff...

We were not playing the same aok games

With moderately agressive feudal warfare, military units were coming non stop around 13-14min in aok time. But in aok, 1.5 minute of game time (counter at the top of the sreen) was equal to 1 minute in real time (whereas in aom 1min in game was 1min in real time). So 13-14min of aok was 8-9min real time.

That is not so far from aom time (units out in 6-7min, but with 4 towers around the TC to prevent a lot of harassement ). As I am not a competitive game player and I prefer relax games with friends 3vs3, 4vs4, the AoK pace was perfect for me. I am not in hurry to be done asap with a game to start the next one. I secretly wish at the beginning of each game that it will be a 2-hours long equilibrated game that will finish by the construction/destruction of a wonder in the final seconds. aaahhhh, sweet memories!

[This message has been edited by yop (edited 04-30-2005 @ 05:06 PM).]

Hal4
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 05:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 35       
My understanding is that it isn't that rushing isn't viable, it's that, even if you rush, you aren't killing the other person off until you're 20-some minutes into the game. ie, you can of course attack first, do damage, get an advantage, but there's some delay to actually knocking the other guy off the map (even if it has become a foregone conclusion).

Well, now we will finish talking and go to his funeral dinner.
Don't be put out at our eating pancakes-
it's a very old custom and there's something nice in that!
You don't know it, but you belong here
Rec_room
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 06:00 PM EDT (US)     22 / 35       
Hold on a minute. How on earth are you coming to the conclusion that all the action will happen in the fourth age. I belive in the interview he specificly told us they were having trouble getting people out of the second age. This sounds like rush city to me.

lief ericson
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 07:40 PM EDT (US)     23 / 35       
Well, I just hope the big formation battles aren't all saved for the Industrial Age. I don't want the second age to be constant fighting if that constant fighting is small skirmishes.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
barley_n_oats
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 08:26 PM EDT (US)     24 / 35       

Quote:

imo this article sucks, there is nothing in it I didn't know except for the threasures AND it sounds like everybody just rushes to the 4th age, unless you try to rush then you stick around in the 2nd age a bit longer. Also I find it rather stupid they try to write an article about strategies while they didn't even had to play a version with the formations in it.

I thought the article skimped on a lot of information too.

But I got the impression that the game might quagmire for ages in the 2nd age, and not enough players even made it to the 3rd or 4th age.

ESO: oats
ESO2: dirtyoatmeal
PhoenixBird
Skirmisher
posted 04-30-05 10:38 PM EDT (US)     25 / 35       
Sounds good.

Play my Scenarios:
GraveBlood

NeoMutation 2
NeoMutation
Myr_Enforcerer----------------------------------------------1800 (Greek)
dw_wb------------------------------------------------------17xx (Smurf)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames