You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.88 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Shooting through walls !
Bottom
Topic Subject:Shooting through walls !
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 05-23-05 11:49 AM EDT (US)         
Look at the idiots! They're shooting they're own walls with their rifles!

*cough* Discuss...

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
AuthorReplies:
ajaxthegreater
Skirmisher
posted 05-23-05 09:57 PM EDT (US)     26 / 88       
Let's just hope that units shooting at their own wall damages it. It would be dissapointing to see a massive army outside your walls, then a couple of your soldiers automatically shoot them and your wall collapses from your own fire. They can't be firing over the wall either since guns are too powerful to do that with the enemies so close. Maybe there are holes in the wall to shoot out of.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diem nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut lacreet dolore. In the middle of a room stands a suicide. Magna aliguam erat volutpat. Ut wisis enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tution ullam corper suscipit lobortis. Eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum delenit au duis dolore te feugat nulla facilisi. I began at awareness.
Darth_Vader1_4
Skirmisher
posted 05-24-05 12:49 PM EDT (US)     27 / 88       
Well there could be a way to shot trough walls (does not apply to the thick stone walls).
You could have small holes in the walls, palisade walls to be more precise like in the screenshot. These holes would be big enough for guns to be put in and ppl could shot them to give a bost to the defensce.
Not that from this screen you see that units can't walk on palisade walls so it is better to just make some holes in the wall to alow them to shot trough.
This could have been done in real life too.
sexypanda
Skirmisher
posted 05-24-05 04:17 PM EDT (US)     28 / 88       
IMO, we wont be able to put men on walls (i dont know, the walls dosent seem big enough for that), we will be able to shoot thought walls (no game is perfect) and the men on wall picture we saw must be something like a fort (didnt they said forts will have units on them even if ungarrisoned? or im crazy..).

In the screenshot, those soldiers are not cimbing on the parapet at all, theres no holes, the palisade wall is taller than the musketman, and look at the most foward blue guy (the one with 50% of his health), he is pointing his gun at the gate and the smoke from the gunshot is at the other side of the wall.

But i hope im wrong...

ThatisHILLARIOUS
Skirmisher
posted 05-24-05 04:33 PM EDT (US)     29 / 88       
The screenshot could be from an earlier version of the game. The graphics from screens I've seen look enormously better.

This is my sig.

True, it does suck.

But I deal with it.

Why can't you?
RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 05-24-05 05:52 PM EDT (US)     30 / 88       

Quote:

IMO, we wont be able to put men on walls

There are some walls (like palisdes) which you can't put men on (obviously because theres nowhere to stand...) and then theres walls which you can stand on like here:

*fails to find the pic with units actually standing on walls*

(yes, I have seen a pic of that)

Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 05-24-05 06:06 PM EDT (US)     31 / 88       
*Suceeds in finding picture of units actually standing on wall*

Pic.

I believe this is the pic you were after Rider.

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
Darth_Vader1_4
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-05 05:31 AM EDT (US)     32 / 88       
OMG that picture is absolutly beutiful, the water the walls the men.

But yeah it looks like a stone wall not a palisade. About that other screenshot I think they will solve that problem soon if they haven't done so already.

The_Mafia_Man
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-05 07:32 AM EDT (US)     33 / 88       
maybe that pic is just a shocase, like they placed them ontop?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ****** * The_Mafia_Man * ******* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * Practice makes perfect, but you cant be perfect, so why practice * * * * * *

Favourite AOM website
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-05 07:52 AM EDT (US)     34 / 88       
there's another picture of ppl standing on a wall

oh they're not standing on it

click here

but you can see there are ladders standing against the walls, so it looks like you can climb them and stand on the walls

Luckyass
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-05 10:48 AM EDT (US)     35 / 88       
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-05 10:59 AM EDT (US)     36 / 88       
I look...
now what?

btw fred_ernie already linked to that pic in his post

Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 05-25-05 11:23 AM EDT (US)     37 / 88       
I had a look at the screenie that Spacemonk found, and it appears to me that some of the buildings are attached to the wall (mainly the one on the right), could this be the "legendary" fort that we here so much about, or just two normal building very close together?

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
sexypanda
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-05 01:49 PM EDT (US)     38 / 88       
Those buildings seem attached to the wall. IMO thats 'the fort', probably dosent take pop slots since it can support itself.

Some screens may be just showcase, as mafia man said. I remember getting disapointed when my units didnt moved in formation in Age 1, or when ships didnt unloaded their cargo on docks like i saw in screenshots of AoK, etc.

Scorpi
Skirmisher
posted 07-21-05 07:44 PM EDT (US)     39 / 88       
First off, units shouldn't be able to shoot through walls, unless those walls are palisade variety. Or, the walls should significantly their range, because they have to fire through teenie holes.

If units can't shoot though walls, though, wouldn't it be interesting if trigonemetry was implemented? Let's say a fort was on lower ground, and musketeers on higher ground were firing in... they could hit more units that way... ok, maybe that's too much for any game ever

Junk Food Knight
Skirmisher
posted 07-21-05 08:35 PM EDT (US)     40 / 88       
In luckyass' post there were units on top of the wall. I wander if this is just for show or not?

ESO2: JunkFood_Knight
KING ONION
Skirmisher
posted 07-21-05 08:43 PM EDT (US)     41 / 88       

Quote:

The Blues are in the Reds base, and are trying to shoot their way out, as it appears to be only the blues shooting

Actually, it's the blue's base. You might think it's red's base due to the flag over the Town Centre. It's really the civilization's flag...the Spanish.

Someday I will rule the Earth....
Anonamis
Skirmisher
posted 07-21-05 09:14 PM EDT (US)     42 / 88       
Sorry to burst ur bubbles guys but that IS a fort that you see people standing on and as far as i know units CANNOT stand on ordinary walls. As for shootin thro walls, i reeeeelly hope they have changed that.

I'm not as dumb as you look
Lysimachus
Skirmisher
posted 07-21-05 10:17 PM EDT (US)     43 / 88       
Speaking of the picture Rider must be referring to, if you'll notice carefully, it seems as though the two musketeer units in front of the gate are firing between the crevices in the palisade fixture of the gate.

As for the rest of the soldiers, although they are a bit of a distance from the wall, the concept could still apply. There were big crevices in palisade walls. You could aim between them.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 07-21-2005 @ 10:18 PM).]

Junk Food Knight
Skirmisher
posted 07-21-05 10:20 PM EDT (US)     44 / 88       
Yes, but those in the middle are firing through the gate wich would be more solid with little holes to shoot through so they would need to be next to the wall, right?

ESO2: JunkFood_Knight
XxEmperorxX
Skirmisher
posted 07-21-05 10:25 PM EDT (US)     45 / 88       
No, no, no, no....you guys keep saying the same thing over and over...."They're shooting through holes in the wall"

Thats most likely not the case considering no matter if it is true or not...it looks like crap to have them shooting through the wall, and they cant shoot through a hole in the wall that far back because the bullet will hit the wall before it goes through the hole....

Im sure ES wont leave it like that considering these screenshots are rather old, many things have changed....

Its not over until I beat you sensless with my WTF stick.
The internet - where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
V:Would you... dance with me?
Evey Hammond: Now? On the eve of your revolution?
V: A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
Mazarin_LOL
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-05 01:52 AM EDT (US)     46 / 88       
I think it's just fine if they're able to shoot through walls :P That's how it's been in all of the Age games so far...also makes it so it's not an easy thing to just hide behind...It'll stop melee attacks, but not ranged..but whatever :P

Mazarin Ashinar
The Legion of Light
RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-05 06:11 AM EDT (US)     47 / 88       
THis is different though. Bullets go straight, whereas arrows and cannonballs go up and then down.

Billman
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-05 06:28 AM EDT (US)     48 / 88       
It is rather silly, really.

If I've got a small colony, full of settlers tending the soil, protected by a wall defence, I should have it in the back of my mind that they are more safe than not having any walls - but then I look at my peaceful colony, only to find out that enemy musketeers are shooting through the walls and into my population - doesn't that defeat the object of having walls in the first place?

Only units and artilley with an arch-trajectory should be able to fire at people behind walls.

The way walls are looking at the moment looks as if they will be only useful in blocking a path or prevent melee-only units from getting past.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
Cherel
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-05 02:45 PM EDT (US)     49 / 88       
Maybe archers should "shoot over walls" as they did in the previous age games, and musketeers shouldn't. This way, we could have another reason to use archers (like one of the british uus) in late game. Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Cherel (edited 07-22-2005 @ 02:46 PM).]

ted smith
Skirmisher
posted 07-22-05 06:31 PM EDT (US)     50 / 88       
i dont think 1 archer can shoot 1 villiger without seeing
his target

if musketeers cant do it archers should not

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames