You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.88 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Shooting through walls !
Bottom
Topic Subject:Shooting through walls !
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 05-23-05 11:49 AM EDT (US)         
Look at the idiots! They're shooting they're own walls with their rifles!

*cough* Discuss...

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
AuthorReplies:
Chris_666
Skirmisher
posted 08-24-05 00:50 AM EDT (US)     51 / 88       
I was just thinking pikeman have a ranged attack now which i think is cool but is that going to mean they can attack through walls, because that pallisade isnt very thick
OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 08-24-05 04:17 AM EDT (US)     52 / 88       
I can understand archers being able to shoot over walls, but musketeers?

ES's silence on this issue says more, in my opinion, than words could.

    
Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 08-24-05 02:05 PM EDT (US)     53 / 88       

Quote:

ES's silence on this issue says more, in my opinion, than words could.

What are they saying?

Luckyass
Skirmisher
posted 08-24-05 02:16 PM EDT (US)     54 / 88       
gameplay > realism

as for this issue

shooting through/over building and walls worked fine in aok so why bother about it in this game?

OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:07 AM EDT (US)     55 / 88       
I reckon not being able to shoot through walls would help gameplay, if anything. It would make walls and cover strategically important, and make archers more useful. To top it off, it's more realistic.

    
Kumar Shah
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:11 AM EDT (US)     56 / 88       
I reckon there are various constraints available when making a game and trade offs need to happen. Remember, its still the same base AoM engine ES is using for the game there even might be programming constraints in this matter.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:19 AM EDT (US)     57 / 88       
Hmm, true. I still think there would be a work-around for this. Especially with the Havok physics.

    
Chris_666
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:30 AM EDT (US)     58 / 88       

Quote:

<Bolobouncer> In AoK, the AI civs would waste no time throwing up walls and a gate to mark their territory. In AoE3, does the AI still use walls
<ES_DeathShrimp> We still have walls in AOE3, but they aren't as big a feature.
<...> I say that partially because in the AOK and AOM time period, walls are important, but in colonial time it isn't as big a deal.
<...> In AOE3, forests do not block movement. That has huge implications for gameplay.
<...> So walling ends up being harder. Plus, you have all these ranged units, and almost all siege are ranged.
<...> So walls just aren't as good a strategy this time around, which is by design.
<...> If the AI walls at all, it doesn't do it very often.

Man this game is going to be great

"The Price of Healthy Gums is Constant Vigilance" - 2 1/2 Men

New AoE Fansite.
Envisage Gaming | Total AoE III Coverage.

[This message has been edited by Chris_666 (edited 08-25-2005 @ 03:50 AM).]

RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 06:10 AM EDT (US)     59 / 88       
for those who have the previews: do the gun guys shoot through walls?

XxEmperorxX
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 10:21 AM EDT (US)     60 / 88       
If you have no shooting through walls then you have no shooting through building, then you will end with a little game of chase the villie through the town for hours on end unitil he gets a tumor in his leg, falls over while rats cover his body and devour his flesh in your presence. Thus it makes a huge toxic gas of rotting flesh that kills all units and makes more toxic gas....it floats over the water and deforms a little water snake into a gigantic water colossus with 3 heads breaths acid and eats people like candy. Then it creates more supernatural beasts like gigantic turkeys that pluck your eyes out and eats your brains...goes around scattering eyeballs everywhere and induces horror on all who look upon them. The men go mad and run into a volcanoe and then PFFFWWWTTTT a gigantic lava monster is ravaging your town throwing molten lava everywhere, incinerating your peoples flesh. Then the colossal battle of water thingy, lava thingy, and giant turkey takes place, ensuring massive havock all over the map. Everything goes dark then a dim light lights the way and heaven opens up THEN RAINS MORE FIRE ON EVERYTHING!!!!!! Now nobody wants that do they??

You decide.....the fate of your world is in your hands..

(I could have gone on for a lot more time, but decided not to for the sake of the fellow reader.)

Its not over until I beat you sensless with my WTF stick.
The internet - where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
V:Would you... dance with me?
Evey Hammond: Now? On the eve of your revolution?
V: A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
Zizou10
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 12:55 PM EDT (US)     61 / 88       
lol it has been like this all the time in all the games
Alexandergreat3
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 02:28 PM EDT (US)     62 / 88       
Come on... shooting through walls isn't that bad -- at least it's not the worst thing.

I mean look at the train and other trade units: they can be walked through by your units as if they were ghosts...

All of a sudden, shooting through walls doesn't seem so bad anymore now, does it?

RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 03:26 PM EDT (US)     63 / 88       
emperor... er.. lol?

@Alex: Yes it still is just as bad

AoE_Fr3AcIc
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 06:09 PM EDT (US)     64 / 88       
Well this isn't BF2 so there isn't any material penitration! lol just a glitch theyll fix it!
empire123
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 07:03 PM EDT (US)     65 / 88       
units shouldn't be able to shoot throw walls because then there is no reason to built a wall. also it is fake for a bullet to go threw a wall.
XsX_Invader2
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 07:06 PM EDT (US)     66 / 88       
realism isn't always what makes games great, it's more balance and gameplay.

ok so they could shoot through the wall. ok who cares. walls will be pretty much useless in aoe3 bcause of the fact that most units are ranged and we have nice cannons to blow those walls away :P

empire123
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 08:29 PM EDT (US)     67 / 88       
ok but you will need cannons to break the wall down. there is nothing fun about building a wall and then your still getting damage because of a soilder that is shooting you. so if they let troops shoot threw walls they have to let cannon shoot threw walls also.

[This message has been edited by empire123 (edited 08-25-2005 @ 08:30 PM).]

dupsky
Banned
posted 08-25-05 08:38 PM EDT (US)     68 / 88       
if your still building the wall , then whats the problem?
your obviously not done with it.
and if your oponnent shoots through the holes you are repairing , how is that not real?
Chris_666
Skirmisher
posted 08-25-05 08:47 PM EDT (US)     69 / 88       
It won't matter, Greg Street has let on that walls play only a small part in the gameplay this time around.
And i agree with Invader realism is great, but it means nothing without balance and gameplay

"The Price of Healthy Gums is Constant Vigilance" - 2 1/2 Men

New AoE Fansite.
Envisage Gaming | Total AoE III Coverage.

Luximinus
Skirmisher
posted 08-27-05 07:24 AM EDT (US)     70 / 88       
Hi! I cant remember where I found the movie I shall speak about now, I thougt I found it on gamespot, or gamespy. But they arent there anymore... Lucky for me I have it on my harddisk.

In the movie, we can see a fort, a stonewallfort which are under attack. The person who control the men, right-click on the wall. The unit go to it, but its just standing there! Then he trie to take some others units to another wallsection, but the units stops with the wall. There are also a tower he trie to get them into.

Then he order the men to go out the gate and kill them on the "battleground" The fort is saved!
But one question I have... Why was the units only standing there?
I really hope this was a mistake, because I really want that we can stand on the wall.

To go more on-topic. If the men could shoot through the wall, why did he then go outside the fort to counterattack?
I think the units not was to far away for them to shoot, so it couldnt work anyway..

I just thought you wanna know....

Sorry for my english...

CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 08-27-05 12:41 PM EDT (US)     71 / 88       
I have an idea for walls. Men may not have to climb on top of them, but can go to small slots in them every 5 feet or so. Their resitance would rise 4times or so against usual gunmen, but cannon damage would do more damage to surrounding units.

Historically, what was the counter for walls? Cannons, big 15-pounders. By WWI, walls were becoming nearly obselete (but heeeello trenches.)

empire123
Skirmisher
posted 08-27-05 08:02 PM EDT (US)     72 / 88       
the reason the musketeers had to go outside the wall to attack the enemy in the video was because units cant shoot through walls. this may be one of the reasons why.
Echy88
Skirmisher
posted 08-27-05 08:23 PM EDT (US)     73 / 88       
There is no reason for Musketmen to be shooting through walls or over walls. Leave that to the archers.
empire123
Skirmisher
posted 08-27-05 09:27 PM EDT (US)     74 / 88       
musketmen or any other units shouldn't be able to shoot through walls. that why you can be safe within your wall.
A_Perfect_Circle
Skirmisher
posted 08-27-05 11:16 PM EDT (US)     75 / 88       
who cares about if people are shooting through there walls...it dosnt really change the fact that the game is still going to be good , and what do you expect? the men to just stand there and not shoot?? and there getting shot at through there own walls..dont hear people complaining about that..
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames