You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.63 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Video Extra Large 28 Minutes
Bottom
Topic Subject:Video Extra Large 28 Minutes
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Caesarion
Skirmisher
posted 05-25-05 12:48 PM EDT (US)         
Link:
http://www.rpgplanet.com/memw/

"Good afternoon all! Im still here at E3 and so far today Ive played some multiplayer of Age of Empires III, it was actually pretty cool playing against the developers. I lost the first game, but rallied to win the second . Now talking about Age of Empires, I said earlier today that I had video taped a demo of the game and Ive just now managed to create the video and upload it. I wasnt able to make it into a medium version, so the whole movie is over 400mbs in size, but at 28 minutes long youll hopefully see a lot. The quality isnt tremendous, but its better than nothing. Ill attempt at getting a smaller version of the video out soon."

AuthorReplies:
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 12:18 PM EDT (US)     26 / 63       
Also you would have to be a total idiot to leave your units on the train tracks or not look for a train before ordering them to cross over the train tracks.
I did like the way you could herd buffalo etc towards your town centre though...
king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 12:23 PM EDT (US)     27 / 63       
GEEZ, 4.5 HOURS?? I haven't seen that kind of download time, since I tried to download a song with dial up...

Hope its worth it...**5 minutes later, 1%**

*sigh*

king of ages
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 02:49 PM EDT (US)     28 / 63       
2.5 hours later......56%

PTM
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 03:39 PM EDT (US)     29 / 63       
bwa ha ha ha

T1 > you!

Download complete. Took a little under 3 minutes.

dosidal
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 04:43 PM EDT (US)     30 / 63       
I think it's a bit poo that the buildings are for one: built that way - again and secondly don't stay on fire if you set light to them.
Oh yeah, do the cavalry actually trample units or is that a no no for this game? Because they charge at high speeds then come to an abrupt halt and just fight in a head-on stationary position, IMO its pretty dull looking.

Is this the way to Amarillo
Every night I've been hugging my pillow
Dreaming dreams of Amarillo where sweet Marie who waits for me!

I like Pie too...

PTM
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 05:35 PM EDT (US)     31 / 63       
So units can phase through the train??

Weak.

Stormboy
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 05:42 PM EDT (US)     32 / 63       
You can actually see units move through the train in the video, just after the 17min mark. It feels wrong somehow, although I'm sure they must have had good reasons to make those changes.
Popemaster_Joef
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 07:24 PM EDT (US)     33 / 63       
First of all, they should just make the train stop or something.

Or just make the train splatter your units. But trains going through units us dumb. If you wanna be safe, there can be little train crossways that indicate when the train is coming soon. You can break them if you want (just attack), but you'll run the risk of bein smushed.

Secondly, where are you d/ling that has a line? that implies not having to register. Can you get it without registereing?

Eso name= Sintho_Matix
I heard sombwhere that elpea is brazillian and I am racist against brazillians so now i hate you even more.
"wave of babies"- http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgs6.html
HC Dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 07:28 PM EDT (US)     34 / 63       
To get it from fileplanet you have to register, although there aren't any lines for this download at the moment.
Aphot
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 07:36 PM EDT (US)     35 / 63       
42 minutes remaining :P.

I hope its good.

irc://irc.gamesurge.net/#aoe3h Join The Chat.
System: P4 2.4A | Asus P4P800-E Deluxe | 1024MB 512x2 Samsung PC3200 in dual channel| XFX 6600GT | WD 120GB, Seagate 40GB | OCz Modstream 450Watt
Genghis Con
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 08:40 PM EDT (US)     36 / 63       

Quote:

First of all, they should just make the train stop or something.

I would know this from my annoying repetitive driver's ad class that it takes a train 1.5 miles to stop when it's going 60 miles per hour

Considering the size of the units, it would have to start stopping at the other side of the map...

Aphot
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 09:00 PM EDT (US)     37 / 63       
I was dissapointed that the the train doesn't stop, also that the villager walked right through the train. other than that, it was pretty good .

irc://irc.gamesurge.net/#aoe3h Join The Chat.
System: P4 2.4A | Asus P4P800-E Deluxe | 1024MB 512x2 Samsung PC3200 in dual channel| XFX 6600GT | WD 120GB, Seagate 40GB | OCz Modstream 450Watt
fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 11:15 PM EDT (US)     38 / 63       
The trade routes are eye candy, but they provide a benefit. I think the coding required to have units stop and resume what they were tasked to do would be extensive.

Gameplay over realism.

I think this early demo was informative, but I second the motion to have a better cameraman.

MW
Skirmisher
(id: Medieval Warfare)
posted 05-26-05 11:36 PM EDT (US)     39 / 63       
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 05-27-05 05:47 AM EDT (US)     40 / 63       
they should put the train on a monorail above the ground ^^
I agree it looks wrong, but it would be freaking annoying when it would be different I think. you're units getting splashed while fighting a battle over a trading post ain't exactly nice

though the only other thing I can think of is to automaticly put the units next to the railroad when the train passes by.

arnitald
Skirmisher
posted 05-27-05 06:44 AM EDT (US)     41 / 63       
Hm, so far I have noticed these things.

First, there was an Alienware logo next to the ES logo under the screen, so I guess there is some sort of cooperation between these companies happening. Or ES runs on Alienware PCs.

Then I find it disapointing, that the units are a bit too choppy (graphics-wise) and their behaviour is similar to AOM. Cavalry attacks from the spot, that isn't realistic at all. The reason for using cavalry is to ride over and through the lines to break them up. A Rome:Total War implementation would be far better.

Furthermore I noticed that the infantry units switch to hand-to-hand combat when they are attacked by melee units. So far so good, but I noticed that only the attacked unit reacted that way. The other guys standing a few centimeters next to it in the same formation continued to fire their guns and didn't help with bayonets. That is weird. (and dumb)

Another thing that disappointed me, was that AOE3 is not very different from the other games in terms of physics. It is quite primitive. They guys are flying too far and a flying guy can knock down a whole tree. How unrealistic is that?

A tree has close to 0 HP because a villager with low attack power has to chop it down easily. And the flying guy generates some sort of damage, so the tree goes down when it gets hit. What ES should do is to make some damage types. You can't chop down a tree with a hammer but you can with an axe. So let the guy generate "hammer" damage... or programm it so a 90kg guy cannot influence a 2t object a lot. I mean, it's just looking weird when a guy can break a tree... in reality he would just scratch it at best.

I don't know if AOE3 is that innovative in terms of graphics after all. The units are looking a lot like AOM units with little more polygons, they still are edgy. The physics just provide what we have seen already in other games and leave the old problems unsolved.

If I compare the graphics with other upcoming RTS's like Company of Heroes where units have thousands of animations, look awesome and have great behaviours and show emotions, I am forced to be a bit dissapointed with the AOE3 units and graphics after all. As it seems, Havoc 3.0, Shaders 3 and HDR-Bloom don't seem to be that rare in the next-gen RTS so there has to be more than that for the best-looking game ever.

In terms of enviroment graphics, I think AOE3 has a good potential. The Home City things look awesome, I wish everything could look like that .

Now I wonder why lamps don't shine at the surroundings... no light sources in game, other than the sun?

Gameplay-wise this looks hot! And really original. Graphics-wise it's just another iteration of AOM (don't kill me for that), nothing truely revolutionary. Buuuuuuut... I haven't seen the game and all the little details which make the atmosphere and realism I wish to see in the best-looking RTS ever.

The Elite Lord
Skirmisher
posted 05-27-05 06:46 AM EDT (US)     42 / 63       
Intersting video.
MoNo Ager
Skirmisher
posted 05-27-05 06:56 AM EDT (US)     43 / 63       
I have to disagree with you arnitald, the units look really nice, considering that the game was also made so that it could run on a *generally* low spec PC, thousands and thousands of units with super smooth high number of polygons would just eat up the system resources and i think they look fine as it is. I noticed that units don't fly away unless they're dead. I like the physics engine its all lookin great and the computer graphics environement looks amazing. I like the buildings too. I also like how you could switch to your home city instantly, no loading. The only thing that annoyed me is the soldier talking via speech bubble :P. Other than that a game to look forward to
arnitald
Skirmisher
posted 05-27-05 07:00 AM EDT (US)     44 / 63       

Quote:

Other than that a game to look forward to

No doubt at all. I just delivered my opinion. I've seen nicer units on this year's E3 too, that's it.

TheShadowDawn
Skirmisher
posted 05-27-05 10:36 AM EDT (US)     45 / 63       
TSD watching the video mostly comprised of going "AAaaaghh, mouseover something so I can read the tooltip!" It was very frustrating. However, I learnt a few things, some of which we already knew anyway. The rest of the video comprised of cannons blowing stuff up in uncreative ways.

• Russian home city areas: (and descriptions, where seen)
    New world trading company (economic units)
    St Basil's cathedral
    Military academy
    Manufacturing plant
    Harbor (naval units, naval upgrades and Mercenaries)

(Can one hire mercenaries of any unit, including warships?)

• Under trading company, I could make out three cards, which were:
    Rum Distillery: Villagers gather coin from plantations 5% faster
    Textile mill: Villagers gather coin from plantations 10% faster
    Refrigeration: Villagers gather all food 10% faster

These seem pretty predictable, but I guess it helps illustrate what we're looking at...the Home City seems to be a tech tree just like what you'd find in the game, with economic and military improvements.

• One card had 'TEAM' on it. The purpose of that, I don't know. The description was 'TEAM: Food Silos: Villagers gather food from mills 10% faster."

• One of the new features mentioned is herding: if you attack an animal, rather than simply running away, it'll herd together with others. Assumedly you can move groups of animals to be hunted in this fashion.

• Apparently people can't be run over by trains. Originally they were though.

• Trading posts generate XP by default, but you can choose for it to generate a resource instead.

• Also, for any left confused, trading post construction functions exactly the same as settlements in AoM: the trade route and native settlements are preset on the map. You can build trading posts on preset spots, either on the trade route, or in camps.

• Native camps have technologies that can upgrade native units, (and possibly other general technologies) but you need to control a number of trading posts to access them. However, you can build the native unit in a camp straight away, evidently. The camp shown in the demo only allowed one unit to be built, the Comanche Horse Archer.

• Comanche Horse Archers destroyed buildings with fire arrows. The fire didn't seem permanent though, just an aesthetic effect.

• Mousing over villies in the Home City put up little tooltips with comments like "Hi, I'm Jenny..."

TheShdwDwn
    If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
  • Steel_Cat
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-27-05 01:46 PM EDT (US)     46 / 63       

Quoted from TheShadowDawn:

One card had 'TEAM' on it. The purpose of that, I don't know. The description was 'TEAM: Food Silos: Villagers gather food from mills 10% faster."

I would guess this is an upgrade that is given to every member of the team instead of just yourself (which would be beneficial to get first).

One of the new features mentioned is herding

I hope you can herd animals off cliffs! That would be so awsome! *villagers walk down cliff to harvest meat*

Apparently people can't be run over by trains

That's too bad. I was hoping to employ a tactic of leading the enemy's army onto the train tracks!

"Its never the things that happen to us that upset us, its our view of them." -Epictetus
    Dual GeForce 256MB 6800 GT over SLI PCI Express x8...aaaaw yeah.
    My ESO2 Stats | Screenshot Archive
    rodgers24888
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-27-05 02:13 PM EDT (US)     47 / 63       
    or hearding the animals onto the train tracks and your villies then risk life and limb for the sake of a bit of food. hehe
    TheShadowDawn
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-28-05 00:51 AM EDT (US)     48 / 63       

Quote:

I hope you can herd animals off cliffs!

Actually... someone asked if you can do that in the video. No, you can't. Though it would be cool...

*Bison go plopping into water*

TheShdwDwn
    If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
    Feroz
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-28-05 08:34 AM EDT (US)     49 / 63       

Quote:

or hearding the animals onto the train tracks and your villies then risk life and limb for the sake of a bit of food. hehe

but u only get stage coaches and trains in the 3rd and 4th age. surely by then, u wudnt need to hunt, u'll be gatherin food souly from farming ???

He came... he saw... he conquered
    http://www.aoe3.ne1.net - Age3 Fansite
    http://www.aoc.clan.ac - AoC Fansite

There is a hero within all of us!

Fili
    Skirmisher
    posted 05-28-05 02:05 PM EDT (US)     50 / 63       
    The trains are nice, but ES PLEASE MAKE THEM BIGGER. What is it with those guys?? People that are the size of a locomotive?? The way those commanches attacked buildings was HORRIBLE. Gee, it looks great to see that those fire sprite live on... and then I noticed that ocassionly the barren ground was on fire... If they are going to let this be the way units attack buildings... it would be dissapointing. And why can't they make cannons be the ONLY things attacking buildings? Just give us a prehistoric cannon in age 1 or even a trebuchet, but NOT fire sprites... AND if this game is sooo hight-tech was it soo hard to make a way for units to build structures (a real way) not the hit-the-ground with a hammer crap. And just keep in mind that scalling matters: ooo look at me, i'm as big as a ship and about the hight of a locomotive and buildings could also be BIGGER and DETAILED. I agree with the guy saying that if a unit hits a tree, the tree shouldn't fall:it should disect the unit, NOT fall. And if you wish, make the units less detailed for LOW-END PCs. I'm not buying a GeForce 6800 Ultra to get a cubic head... I'm excepecting the kind of quality seen in AOM cinematic-mode to be the better level of detail. AND, the cavalry stopping like that was also horrible and AOM-ish. Horses don't turn around like they are on a rotating platform: make MORE animations! That's about it. Oh, and that cameraman should have been fired 1000 times for incompetence--even I could have fillmed better. Almost forgot, it would be better if units flying because of being hit by a cannon could also make other units fall if they hit any. The unit hit by a corpse could just loose some HP. And why exactly isn't the physics used on the horses too?

[This message has been edited by Fili (edited 05-28-2005 @ 02:08 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames