You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.93 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Is AoE3 optimized for NVIDIA?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is AoE3 optimized for NVIDIA?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Fili
Skirmisher
posted 05-26-05 07:27 AM EDT (US)         
It's an important thing for me since I am going to buy a new graphic card. Is AOE3 optimized for the current Nvida generation(6xxx) or will it be optimized for the next generation (GeForce 7??)?(since I read a post in the aoe3question forum, which was made by an es employee, that said that developers use the unreleased generation of graphic cards to develop their game.)
Anyone got a clue? Since if the game is made using a GeForce 7 or something, it's pointless to spend money on the GeForce 6800 GT I wanted to buy.
Any thoughts?
AuthorReplies:
Rookierookie
Banned
posted 05-31-05 03:33 AM EDT (US)     51 / 93       

Quote:

1. Intel has higher FSB than AMD, it has more L1, L2 and even L3 cache. As the 6xx series come out they even support 64-bit applications. Also the hyper-threating is better than the AMD's hypertransport.

Pure bullshit every word.

Intel's 1066MHz FSB on the Extreme Editions allows for 8.5GB/S bandwidth but the normal 800MHz FSB has only 6.4GB/S bandwidth, which is the same than the 6.4GB/S bandwidth enjoyed by Socket 939. This source states that hypertransport can have up to 11.2GB/S bandwidth, and HTX allows up to 22.4GB/S bandwidth, leaving Intel's ancient FSB in the dust.

The Pentium 4 3.0 GHz has no L3 cache, get your facts straight, only the 3.2EE, 3.4EE, and 3.46EE chips ever had L3 cache. L2 cache is same as AMD's chips for the 5xx series, and although it increases to 2MB for the 6xx series the 2MB rarely ever shows.

AMD started supporting 64-bit more than a year earlier than Intel. So if you are going for Intel just because "oh they have 64-bit processors", you are blind.

Finally, HyperThreading has absolutely nothing similiar to HyperTransport. HyperThreading is a multitasking technology that allows the processor to execute two threads at the same time (and which incidentally does not increase game speed), and HyperTransport is the link from the processor to the rest of the computer, which is equivalent to the front side bus of Intel processors.

Quote:

2. 2gigs ram is absoletely fine having in mind that new games r resources-hungry.

Right. I can run Rome: Total War, Morrowind, and Thief 3 at the same time, and I will still have 200MB RAM left with my 1GB. 2GB RAM actually slows down the computer in most situations.

Quote:

3. only the X850XTPE is better than this card. And it costs almost twice more!!!

What the hell are you talking about? The X850XT PE costs only 10% more than the X800XT. The normal X850XT costs exactly the same as the X800XT.

Quote:

Only on video editing it is SLIGHTLY faster and that is only because of the SSE2 technique it uses (SSE2 is ideal for media encoding). The AMD and the intel are almost as fast per clockcycle and then the p4 wins because of the faster clockfrequency. (AMD FX55 works on 2.6GHz).

And AMD now wins in video editing after its dual-core processor is released (Athlon X-2 4800+ beats the Pentium D EE 3.2GHz almost across the board).

By the way, AMD processors also have SSE2 and newer AMD processors have SSE3.

OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 03:39 AM EDT (US)     52 / 93       

Quote:

Right. I can run Rome: Total War, Morrowind, and Thief 3 at the same time, and I will still have 200MB RAM left with my 1GB. 2GB RAM actually slows down the computer in most situations.

That's true, as it means the PC needs to keep track of more resources.

1gig from 512mb halved my loading times in HL2, but go higher than a gig and the performance gain/loss is negligible, especially considering the cost.

    
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 05:14 AM EDT (US)     53 / 93       
Thats bullshit firefox, P4 is just better in video editting then amd.
Rookierookie
Banned
posted 05-31-05 05:21 AM EDT (US)     54 / 93       
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/athlon64-x2/index.x?pg=11

Quote:

The X2 processors would appear to have few weaknesses, as they match or surpass the competing Pentium processors in video encoding, another customary Intel strength.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=4

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=6

Athlon 64 X2 in the lead in all video encoding tests and in fact in nearly all tests. Even the 4200+ is ahead of nearly all Intel processors in video encoding.

Fili
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 06:40 AM EDT (US)     55 / 93       
I have another question too... nVIDIA uses the SLI technology in SOME games with profiles predefined in the driver. Will AOE3 support SLI?
deduijk
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 07:20 AM EDT (US)     56 / 93       
Brining extra memory in is always a good thing. Especially running different applications (like maybe a web server too etc..)

The only thing u need to think off is how the slots work together. 512 512 and 1gb isn't good. 1gb and 1gb is. Just make sure ur memory is similar. Some mobo also have a something sneaky build in: Their performance tumbles when puting in to much memory. This is done to make sure u need a new mobo from time to time. :-S

@firefox
I am an AMD fan for a long time now.
But comparing a new AMD to an old p4 isn't really fair in a test.. ur talking about a p4 3.2GHz. The P4 EE 3.7GHz was the newest vs the newest amd which was athlon 64 X55 at the time (may-2005).

CU,
deduijk

[This message has been edited by deduijk (edited 05-31-2005 @ 07:24 AM).]

Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 07:21 AM EDT (US)     57 / 93       
I bet it will, but why would you use two cards? Rather than SLIing two 6600 for example, just get a 6800.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
Rookierookie
Banned
posted 05-31-05 07:46 AM EDT (US)     58 / 93       

Quote:

I have another question too... nVIDIA uses the SLI technology in SOME games with profiles predefined in the driver. Will AOE3 support SLI?

All games support SLI (just like all games support the 6600GT), but some games support SLI more than others.

Geez, I sound like Orwell.

Quote:

Brining extra memory in is always a good thing. Especially running different applications (like maybe a web server too etc..)

How many people actually use their computers for web servers? Those that do usually have the computer as a dedicated server and not for gaming, and will not have a good graphics card.

Quote:

512 512 and 1gb isn't good. 1gb and 1gb is

Why?

Quote:

@firefox
I am an AMD fan for a long time now.
But comparing a new AMD to an old p4 isn't really fair in a test.. ur talking about a p4 3.2GHz. The P4 EE 3.7GHz was the newest vs the newest amd which was athlon 64 X55 at the time (may-2005).

Welcome to 31-May-2005. I am NOT talking about a P4. I'm talking about the dual-core Pentium Extreme Edition vs the dual-core Athlon 64 X2. They cost about the same, but the latter completely owns the Pentium, and even the lowest AMD dual-core processor (4200+) owns the Pentium Extreme Edition.

I AM talking about the latest processors from both sides.

Quote:

I bet it will, but why would you use two cards? Rather than SLIing two 6600 for example, just get a 6800.

Well, two Geforce 6600GT are on par with one Geforce 6800 Ultra and is cheaper.

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited 05-31-2005 @ 07:52 AM).]

Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 11:00 AM EDT (US)     59 / 93       

Quote:

All games support SLI (just like all games support the 6600GT), but some games support SLI more than others.

I thought games are only supported by SLI if Nvidia specifically writes the drivers to do so.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzEx

That link goes on to explain that some games don't benefit from SLI since there isn't any SLI support for it.

fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 11:17 AM EDT (US)     60 / 93       
Considering that Nvidia has a profile for AOM, I figure they will create one for AOEIII, if the game sells.

Here are all the games that have profiles in the 71.89 drivers:
http://www.slizone.com/content/slizone/game.html

People can also create their own profiles.

Fili
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 11:30 AM EDT (US)     61 / 93       
Why get 2 6600GTs? Because I can get the 2nd one at a later time. Not get both cards at the same time.
Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 05-31-05 11:34 AM EDT (US)     62 / 93       
Can some one please explain to me what SLIing, means, and how you do it, all i know is that you need two graphics that have it as an option (6600gt and above).

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
deduijk
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 11:38 AM EDT (US)     63 / 93       
Indeed most games DON'T support SLI. it has to be written for them. If u have an sli system it just uses one card of it.
StevenBro
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 12:27 PM EDT (US)     64 / 93       
Ah some tech talk!
I got 2,3 gigaherz celeron with an ati9100. This 3dcard sux so i want to change it. Which would be better to match with my cpu an 6600gt or an 6800. Or mb some other.. any1 knows?
Fili
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 01:37 PM EDT (US)     65 / 93       
SLI=Scalable Link Interface; It is a nVIDIA developed technology, which involves the usage of TWO graphic cards (GeForce 6600GT/6800GT/6800 Ultra) to increase the performance in games. The SLI requires a motherboard with 2PCI-expressx16 ports (currently nFORCE chipsets mostly... for AMD, soon for Intel). You also need the graphic cards (they must be the EXACTLY same type). The two are connected through a special bus that is suppluied by the motherboard manufacturers. After you get all these, voila, a SLI system ready to go. Now then, the nVIDIA driver has profiles associated with different games, and the driver detects the game and runs the profile. In games that don't support SLI, a single card is used and it is ocassionaly even slower than one card. A simmilar technology has been announced by ATi:"Crossfire".
AnC_Ivo17
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:12 PM EDT (US)     66 / 93       
I dont see the point of SLI, cuz i dont think that there is any game or application that will use up the resources of 2x6800gt or 2x6800ultra.
I would like to ask another qustion, about LCD monitors. I am planning to buy a 17" or even 19" LCD. But i wonder from which manufacturer. It is clear that Sony is one of the top choice, but i wonder whether philips and samsung are good as well?

In hoc signo vinces!
- Spiritum Sancti
Fili
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:18 PM EDT (US)     67 / 93       
I personally have a Hyundai LCD monitor.
Spacemonk
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 02:41 PM EDT (US)     68 / 93       
www.anandtech.com.is a pretty good reviewsite
for all those with hardware questions

"Give me Age of Empires, sir, and you may keep your Warcraft."
AnC_Ivo17
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 03:10 PM EDT (US)     69 / 93       
thanks spacemonk!
I have checked out the hyundai offers for Bulgaria and they seem attractive with 3yr warranty. the specs r also good. But i dont know whether hyundai is quite reliable?

In hoc signo vinces!
- Spiritum Sancti
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 03:29 PM EDT (US)     70 / 93       
i have a medion, but i dont think they are in Bulagria
AnC_Ivo17
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 03:37 PM EDT (US)     71 / 93       
Medion? Arent those french made? i know that they r the european equivalent of Dell

In hoc signo vinces!
- Spiritum Sancti
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 04:03 PM EDT (US)     72 / 93       
apperently you dont know

they are german, and sold mainly by ALDI(a supermarket)

AnC_Ivo17
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 04:10 PM EDT (US)     73 / 93       
I was buying a french IT magazine "SVM", and there i saw many medion offers, so i thought they were french. Sorry for that.

In hoc signo vinces!
- Spiritum Sancti
deduijk
Skirmisher
posted 05-31-05 06:41 PM EDT (US)     74 / 93       
A game monitor needs to have a responsetime lower than about 20ms, else u will get ghosting.

The BenQ lcd's are pretty good and priced nicley. They have a good response time (~8ms !!) and clearity.

There are some others that are good. Just pay attention to some details when u buy a lcd monitor:

Clearity, viewing angle, response time, gray2gray, resolution etc.

CU,
deduijk

steve13
Banned
posted 05-31-05 08:08 PM EDT (US)     75 / 93       
I don't know what API AoE3 is made with but since MS owns the company I'd imagine DirectX. ATi is traditionally better (not by much) for DirectX games but I don't think the difference will be big either way. ATi will probably support Shader Model 3.0 in their R520 cards.

b.t.w a G70 is at computex but I don't know what info has leaked yet. It should be over 100% faster than current cards though as SLI gets better...

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames